News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Strollers at Faire

Started by LadyStitch, January 26, 2012, 04:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

After seeing the concerns people had about people in scooters (good and bad.)  I wanted to ask a couple questions regarding strollers.  When at a show is it best to park you stroller out of the way, or just move it in front of you? 
I don't want to block anyone's view, or cause a problem that ruins fuzzlet's first time at faire.  Any suggestions on good stroller etiquette would be appreciated.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Merlin the Elder

If you were to park yourselves on the outside of the row, with your stroller alongside of you, I can't imagine any possible objection to that. It doesn't always offer you an optimal line-of-sight, but you won't interfere with anyone else's view.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

This is true, although I have also often seen strollers parked off to the side, with the family seated where they are better able to see.  I think it might depend on the stage, as well... with some having more free space than others.  Some shows are longer than others, as well, so you might want to check that before you sit down with a potentially squirming baby on your lap...  :D  Oh, and I know you're aware of how loud some shows are, so you might want to try getting sweet pea used to some sort of ear covering, or ear plugs, as well, before the actual event. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyFae

Sitting in the back with the stroller parked behind you seems to be the best option for keeping the stroller out of the way and for quick getaways if baby acts up. End of row seating is also helpful if you can get the stroller out of the side aisles. I don't know how easy this is, however, because I have almost always just wore or carried my girls at Faire. Best of luck!!!!! And you had BETTER take and post TONS of pictures!!! :D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

LadyStitch

Yes yes, there will be loads of photos taken.  We are hoping the weather isn't too cold that she can just wear her baby smock (we haven't tried on her baby pink pirate yet) and be comfy. If it is too cold she will just wear her pirate's treasure outfit.

Why I brought this up is so many times I have seen people bring strollers into show and park them in the center of aisles, and make people go around.  Or they will be in a row but park it in front of them or beside them.  It blocks the parents view and sometimes those behind them.  I didn't want to be "one of those people."

Also how do you handle shops?  or does it depend on the shop?

Merlin the Elder

Shops might be a little difficult to get strollers into! You would either need for one of you to stay with the fuzzlet, or carry her with you, and leave the stroller outside.

The other option will be having one of us hang on to the wee one whilst you browse... I'm sure you'll find some takers!

LadyStitch

Heh, I'm sure there are plenty of volenteers.  ;)  The question is will I get her back when we come out?

Merlin the Elder

Well... I'm not ready to raise another one, but Nim might be...  ;)  See you in a couple of weeks!

Glaodian

Is it possible to trade one of my teenagers (15, 16, & 18) for the fuzzlet? 

I know, I know.  That does not seem like an even trade.  How about all 3 of my teenagers for the fuzzlet?  Does that sound like a deal?   ;D
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

Rani Zemirah

Pffftt...  I haven't met any of your teenagers, G... but if they're anything like most of the teens I know right now, then it sounds more like a THREAT than a deal!!!  :o  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Didn't you know, Glaodian, that children are your parents' way of getting back at you?

Glaodian

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 28, 2012, 07:01:53 AM
Didn't you know, Glaodian, that children are your parents' way of getting back at you?

That I knew.  But I have been lucky that I have ended up with good kids.  They must get that from their mother.   :D

I am mainly concerned with my feed bill.  They sure can eat.   ;D
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

Lady Amy of York

I started bringing my son ( who is now 8 ) to faire when he was only 3 months old. We used a stroller for him, and it was not small. I actually loved having the stroller along for I  could put my camera, bottles of bottled water, and anything else me, my husband, or  son needed   during the day in the bottom of  the stroller.

The only negative aspect of having the stroller along was the terrain at some of the faires we went to. It was not always fun to push a stroller uphill  or  thru mud. So make  sure you have  a sturdy well made stroller, but maybe one that is lightweight and  easy  to push.

As  for strollers at shows  we always would sit in back  with the stroller. I know at my own homefaire alot of our cast and  entertainers  make use of  the center aisles during their performances. Final pub sing for  example, we have cast members interacting  with the audience in the  center aisles.

When it came to shops I would never bring the stroller inside  the shop. Basically cause it would not fit. My husband  and I would take turns watching the stroller if  we wanted to shop. Actually it worked out good  for me, cause this way I was able  to shop and make purchases  without my husband  knowing just how much i spent.  ;) ;D

Also by having a stroller along it provides extra sun protection and  shade  for  the  child. I have  found that little ones feel the heat  faster at  faire. 

So bring the stroller  and  have  fun. :)

@ Merlin..LOL..my mother always would say that same thing that children /grandchildren were your parents way of getting back at you. 

I think I would take  the fuzzlet  over teenagers  anyday  ! :)

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

LadyStitch

When we bought our stroller we made sure to get one that was made for faire IE all terrains  ;D

As for trading the fuzzlet, the PP was tempted because it would mean having 3 more people to put into work around the house.  We have yard work that needs done, and I have lots of cleaning, labeling, and organizing to be done.  Also it would mean extra hands cooking, and of course no diapers to change.

However, I'm afraid I have grown quite attached to this little stinker, and though she can be a little stubborn, and spit up at unusual times, I wouldn't trade her for the world.  :D She is my baby girl

Merlin the Elder

Ahh! Stitch! You've figured it out! Those rotten kids just seem to grow on you...  :) You'll get to a point where you think you'll be totally relieved when they move out, and when they do, you ARE relieved and thrilled!  ... for about 10 minutes, then you want them back.  This has absolutely nothing to do with strollers... I'll be quiet now.