News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Celtic Nations Tartan

Started by Zardoz, January 29, 2012, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

I recieved a box from USA Kilts ( http://www.usakilts.com ) the other day with my new Celtic Nations Semi-trad and forest green tweed jacket and waistcoat. I am very pleased with the fit and quality of both, paticularly the tartan, which photos don't do justice.

In a conversation with Rocky several weeks ago he said they had only made a couple of kilts in this tartan so far, so I'm proud to be among the first to have one. This was a little bit of an unusual purchase for me; I generally mull over a purchase like this for a while before pulling the trigger, and had logged on to Rocky's site intending to order two jacket/waistcoats. But after I saw this tartan for the first time, my seventh semi-trad kilt from USA Kilts was on the way!  I'll get that other jacket one of these days!

New jacket and kilt together, along with my new black and dark green Thorfinn sporran. I ordered the jacket with single button cuffs and without the epaulets for a more 'modern' look.

pattern in the pleats....

and a picture of my butt, pleated to the sett.

The tartan is based on the colors of the flags of the seven Celtic nations: Brittany, Cornwall, Ireland, England, Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales. It is a lovely sett, colorful and vibrant, and I know I'm going to enjoy wearing it!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lady Renee Buchanan

It is a beautiful tartan, and you look great!    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

amy

Very handsome pieces indeed.  You look wonderful!   thank you for the "butt" picture!  I am trying my hand at some kilt making and I love learning about the mathematics of the pleating so I can create the sett properly. 

Zardoz

Quote from: amy on January 30, 2012, 10:29:52 AM
I am trying my hand at some kilt making and I love learning about the mathematics of the pleating so I can create the sett properly. 

Amy get a copy of Barb Tewksbury's  "The Art of Kiltmaking" if you want to learn kiltmaking it is worth every penny.
http://www.celticdragonpress.com/index.html
IBRSC# 1619,

Captain Teague

Very nicely done. Milady is forever after me to don a kilt. At first I resisted by telling her I had no clan to follow, which she said I could don HER clan's colors (she has Scottish ancestry ) and that went for awhile. Some time later I did the heritage DNA test from ancestry.com  (which FYI, only shows possible ancestry, not defined tribes, etc so don't waste your money ) and it says that I am of Celtic descent, but no defined parameters whatsoever.

But she is winning....a recent discussion with another Marine at a Faire last year about his great looking kilt revealed that he was wearing the new Marine colored one.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

raevyncait

Quote from: Lord Dragon on January 30, 2012, 01:09:14 PM
Very nicely done. Milady is forever after me to don a kilt. At first I resisted by telling her I had no clan to follow, which she said I could don HER clan's colors (she has Scottish ancestry ) and that went for awhile. Some time later I did the heritage DNA test from ancestry.com  (which FYI, only shows possible ancestry, not defined tribes, etc so don't waste your money ) and it says that I am of Celtic descent, but no defined parameters whatsoever.

But she is winning....a recent discussion with another Marine at a Faire last year about his great looking kilt revealed that he was wearing the new Marine colored one.  ;D

truly the Leatherneck tartan is one of my absolute favorites of all the tartans I've seen.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

amy

thank you Zardoz!   I hope that after this first I will have lots of reasons to make more!

Zardoz

Quote from: Lord Dragon on January 30, 2012, 01:09:14 PM
Very nicely done. Milady is forever after me to don a kilt. At first I resisted by telling her I had no clan to follow, which she said I could don HER clan's colors (she has Scottish ancestry ) and that went for awhile. Some time later I did the heritage DNA test from ancestry.com  (which FYI, only shows possible ancestry, not defined tribes, etc so don't waste your money ) and it says that I am of Celtic descent, but no defined parameters whatsoever.

But she is winning....a recent discussion with another Marine at a Faire last year about his great looking kilt revealed that he was wearing the new Marine colored one.  ;D

Well, you don't have to be Scottish to be comfortable! And there are many, many tartans that are not associated with clans that you can choose from, the Celtic Nations I'm wearing above and the Leatherneck tartan being a good example. http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/Items/swk-sk12-usmc?&caSKU=swk-sk12-usmc&caTitle=Men%27s%20SWK%20Standard%20Kilt-%20USMC%20Leatherneck%20Tartan%20(2012%20Model)
IBRSC# 1619,

Captain Teague

That's a heckuva good price.  :)

Just me, but I would wear one for traditional reasons and go out of my way to make sure it is made right, is put on right, right accesories etc. I have heard enough comments from Scots about some people wearing them backwards, lol.  ;D

I sent her to that link, so you realize you are giving her more ammo, though.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Zardoz

Quote from: Lord Dragon on January 30, 2012, 10:55:01 PM

I sent her to that link, so you realize you are giving her more ammo, though.  ;D

I am an enabler!   :P 

and the pleats go in back!
IBRSC# 1619,

Hospitaller

Quote from: Zardoz on January 31, 2012, 09:26:12 AM
Quote from: Lord Dragon on January 30, 2012, 10:55:01 PM

I am an enabler!   :P 

and the pleats go in back!

Good looking set-up Z!

Sounds like it would not take much "enabling" in Lord Dragon's case. ;)  Bad thing is that once you've worn a kilt - one is never enough.......

And speaking from a Scots point o' view - just making the effort to find out which way the pleats go is enough to please most of us. :D

mehan

Calling Zardoz and enabler hits the nail on the head - three of the kilts I have purchased for my Ewan are because I read his posts (resisted this one for two days...)

Oh, and Lord Dragon - I have NEVER seen a man in a leatherneck kilt that was not breathtaking.

Zardoz

Quote from: mehan on January 31, 2012, 02:19:11 PM
Calling Zardoz and enabler hits the nail on the head - three of the kilts I have purchased for my Ewan are because I read his posts (resisted this one for two days...)

I'm here to help!  ;D
IBRSC# 1619,

Lady Kett

Beautiful kilt, Zardoz!

Oh Dark Lord, allow me to join the bandwagon with your wife. Repeat after me, "need kilt, contact Rocky!" Got it? :)

Captain Teague

The Code is the Law...

Zardoz

Here's a good photo Vance took of me in the Celtic Nations at Sherwood;

Shows the colors pretty well
IBRSC# 1619,