News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A new tudor hat

Started by Earl of Surrey, February 01, 2012, 11:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl of Surrey

I'm in need of an upgraded male Tudor hat. 

Probably a flatcap with a grande feather.  Other than Tall Toad, does anyone have any recommendations for web shops from whom I can order? 

Ideally it would be velvet and even more ideally a very dark green (not the classic hunter, but the green velvet that is almost black).  If I can't get that, I would do black and gold.  Either way, a good web shop hat recommendation is what I'm after.

Thanks in advance.
--The Paris Hilton of the 16th Century--

The Earl and Countess of Surrey  (off with my head, on January 19, 1547)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted!  She's a forum member here & a great seamstress who does work for many members.

She made Steve a black velvet flat cap with jewels around the brim and a maroon plume.  It is a beautiful hat and well-constructed, and we are very pleased with it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Alerrick Afon Adou

Lady Kathleen is a Great seamstress. She made me a Wizards hat to go with my outfit and it`s Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Fit just right,well made,I can`t wait to wear it to the faires!!!!!! Huzzah

isabelladangelo

Can you sew?   A flat cap would be a great first sewing project if you can't.  :-)   

Rowan MacD

Quote from: isabelladangelo on February 02, 2012, 09:13:19 AM
Can you sew?   A flat cap would be a great first sewing project if you can't.  :-)  
I agree.  Once you make the basic cap, the decorations are fun to do yourself!

Here's another good link: http://www.fynehatsbyfelicity.com/index2.html

I have purchased 2 flat caps and plan to commission a tall hat from her.   

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

amy

Even our Noble Lord Clisto is a model photo on the Fyne Hats by Felicity site.  Wearing the Noble Flat Cap with Flair!  Beautiful stuff there.

Earl of Surrey

Brilliant.  Thanks so much for the input.

I can sew, at least with leather.  The skirted leather doublet that appears in my profile picture is my work.  But, I have traditionally left sewing of fabric up to the Countess.  She has done me a gorgeous extra-dark green (with gold trim) doublet this winter, that is begging for a matching or complimentary hat.  I think we are out of the velvet though.

--The Paris Hilton of the 16th Century--

The Earl and Countess of Surrey  (off with my head, on January 19, 1547)

isabelladangelo

You wouldn't need much more than a 1/2 yard if you make the flat cap yourself if you don't mind a seam on the brim.   Look on ebay, etsy, and/or artfire for velvet.  Actually, the color you are looking for, I've even seen at Walmart recently in the Baltimore/DC region. 

Rowan MacD

I ordered 2 velvet tall hats from Tall Toad, cost about $140 for both including shipping.    I got a break on the price by ordering with no trim and on Shipping by having them sent together.  I expect them today...
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

lys1022

Dream Hats, of course!!!!   Sharon is an amazing milliner, who makes hats for a large percentage of the Scarborough Performing company.  She also has a booth at a number of local cons and gatherings.

http://dreamhats.com/

Wonderful stuff!  She's made several hats for the Hubster and I. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Teague

While I would also suggest Lady K as a first consideration effort as she is completely fabulous, another source may be here:

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-168-renaissance-medieval-hats.aspx

They may not have what you seek, but they are certainly growing in hattery items. (Especially Ladies..... ;D )
The Code is the Law...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Earl of Surrey...

Here are some examples of Tudor Hats I have done for members here and clients via Very Merry Seamstress that I joint venture with for garb accessories....

Italian Bonnet to match a Doublet.

King James I hat for a client.

Arched Tall hat I made for myself last year.

French Hood for a VMS client.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Captain Teague

Did I mention incredibly fabulous?  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Alerrick Afon Adou

Those hats are Fabulous Lady Kathleen...........Huzzah