News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

scalloped embroidery edge

Started by Auryn, February 09, 2012, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Good Morning all
I am in a bit of a impass.
I am trying to make a collar for a blouse for garb and I really want to do a scalloped embroidered edge- my sewing machine has a really pretty scalloped stitch.
My only difficulty is
-I tried doing the stitch at the edge of the fabric and it won't work properly
I have to leave at least a 1/8 of an inch so that it stitches properly
my issue is

how do I trim off this excess fabric?

sorry the picture is kinda crap
I took it with my phone

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rowan MacD

This may help....The seamstress implies any raw edges after trimming will disappear in the wash, but I would test this on a scrap first.
 Joann's stocks a product called Fray Stop to apply to the edges of the cut cloth if you need to bind it.
http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/cutwork-embroidery.html

Edit: I would try an Exacto knife to trim with, just be careful not to cut the embroidery. 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Auryn

Thanks Rowen
I was thinking the exacto knife route too, but I figured I would ask first since there are such experienced seamstresses here.

I have used FrayStop- unfortunately it leaves the edges that it is applied to hard as a rock- no matter how many times you wash it.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

CenturiesSewing

Alas there is no easy way that I know of it do this, off the top of my head you might try..

Stitch a piece of water soluble stabilizer to the fabric, over lapping it. Sew the scalloped line as close to the edge of the fabric as it will let you, you might be able to get away with 1/4, it will take some experimenting. Cut away excess stabilizer and fabric, wash out the rest.

operafantomet

I did a million scalloped edges for a dress I made in 2009. I simply zig-zagged the fabric, and cut off the ends as close to the zix-zag as possible. Still no raveling or wear and tear damaging it. I applied a layer of lace on top, and it's not a dress meant to be washed. That might be partly why it holds up well. But if the zig-zaging or serging is both broad and neat enough, I don't think you'll have any issues with it.

Here's the dress in question:

http://aneafiles.webs.com/aminta.html

Ugh, and I agree about FrayStop. It leaves the fabric hard and eventually brittle. Could might as well have applied superglue. But CenturiesSewing's idea about a stabilizer is a good idea. Anything to help supporting the finer fabric is good.

ETA: this is the reverse side of the scalloped fabric:

I remember now why I called this project "the lace nightmare"...

Auryn

once again I bow down to the greatness that are the dresses you create opera
that is stupendus.

I will see if maybe  I can make a swing past joanns today and get some of that dissolving interfacing
and maybe a set of blade replacements for my knife

iain robb

Is that a sleeve edge? I think that'll look nice.

gem

You don't need a knife; just a nice *sharp* pair of embroidery scissors with small blades, so you can get up close to the edge. The stitch itself will prevent fraying (it's not as good as a hand-done stitch, which would completely enclose the edges and *ensure* that nothing is coming undone, ever, but it'll work).

I would cut the majority of the excess off with my regular sewing shears, and then get into the scallops with my embroidery snips.

Auryn

So of course at joanns they only had the regular soluble stabilizer- not the adhesive stuff.
I will give it another test shot today and report back :)

operafantomet

Quote from: Auryn on February 09, 2012, 01:46:49 PM
once again I bow down to the greatness that are the dresses you create opera
that is stupendus.
Wow, thank you!  :)

I'm with Gem on using sharp embroidery scissors rather than a knife. You'll have a lot more control with scissors. And cutting of the majority of the excessive fabric with large scissors, and the details with a small one is exactly what I did!

Anna Iram

Really interesting blog too, Anea. :)

Have no helpful advice, Auryn. Just curious about what you are making.

Goody

not that u need my two cents to reiterate but my machine does scallops that look like feathers and i just used a tiny sharp scissors. (and good lighting!)

Auryn

scallops that look like feathers??
ohh now that i want to see.. show us Goody