News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Visiting Pittsburgh end of Feb

Started by amy, February 08, 2012, 02:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amy

Hello there!  I am being sent to Pittsburgh for training at work starting Feb 27th through March 2nd.  Anyone have recommendations for places to eat or things I might try to squeeze in my couple off evening hours?   Anyone ever wanted to meet a fellow Rennie from Alabama!  Any M'Cracks in the area?  Let me know!
Thank you!  Amy

Rogue Hidesmith

Sheetz is the go-to convenience store if you run into one. Always clean and the food is good. If you are able to, check out primanti brothers. They're the ones with giant pastrami-and-french-fry sandwiches

Also, the Carnegie Museums are really nice. They recently redid the entire dinosaur exhibit and it's just fantastic now.
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

arbcoind

Amy where exactly are you staying in Pittsburgh?  If I know that, I can direct you to some fun things. 

Gina

amy

Oooooo Pastriami!!!   I am a Clevelander transplanted to Alabama, so I miss a good deli!

I am going to be staying at the Sprng Hill Suites on Federal Street.  I assume that is downtown.  Thanks for the tips!

arbcoind

Amy you will be on the "North Shore" of Pittsburgh which is home to PNC Park, Heinz Field, Stage AE and the Carnegie Science Center.  You will be a short ride (across the Allegheny River) from Downtown as well.  Will you have a car or rely on public transportation?

So what are you looking to do in the evening hours that you have?  Sightseeing?  Shopping?  Dining?  Partying?  Let me know and I can make suggestions.

Also the end of February/beginning of March is our dead of winter.  Plan on cold weather, but you already know that if you've lived in Cleveland.

Gina

amy

Actually it is PNC I am coming to work for!  And unfortunately my suitcase will be nothing but sweaters and boots.  I think eating will be our best choice of things to do.  Early classes and all will prohibit the party times.  Won't have a car but may have access to a cab or use in the group of a rental.  If you could point me toward one fun restaurant I could be the hero of one evening.

arbcoind

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://jeromebettisgrille36.g3restaurants.com/&sa=U&ei=lUs5T8f8Asi1tweUy6SfAg&ved=0CBMQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGnfFNjDgkboz0_5UMu5anAxRjOiA

Amy, I recommend Jerome Bettis Grille 36.  It's on the North Shore and near PNC Park.  Also, very important to note...you must call ahead for a taxi unless there is a taxi stand in front of your hotel.  Yellow Cab is a reliable service:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.pghtrans.com/yellow_cab.cfm&sa=U&ei=KUw5T6TBDZOJtwekn6DKAg&ved=0CBUQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNGX2ZYdOr1FrnQZ74_TSTrOie27SQ

Do not expect to walk out of somewhere and hail a cab.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Gina

amy

Thank you!   Already that last tidbit of info could save the day for us!   Terrific.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!  I'll check out the restaurant and look forward to at least one good night after classes!

arbcoind

Amy, you are welcome.  I hope you enjoy your visit to Pittsburgh.  Again, if you need more information, I'd be happy to help.

Gina

Alaric

I second Gina's suggestion of the Jerome Bettis Grille 36. It is crazy good.

If you can get over the river to the strip District you need to try primanti brothers

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Don't forget to hit the "Dirty O"!  The Original Hot Dog Stand... located in Oakland, just off the U of Pittsburgh campus.  Some of the best shoe string french fries and meatball hoagies in the world!  Spent many a night eatting baskets of O fries and sucking down pitchers of Bass Ale...  ;) ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

amy

Now y'all are teasing me!!!  I am a Clevelander by birth and for the first 32 years..  but I sure like being a transplant down here in Dixie.   But I have put aside my Browns fanaticism to come to Steeler territory.... I sure am tempted by good Northern Deli food and Dogs.  Wow that stuff looks fantastic.  I can smell it already!

Lady Gryphon

Amy if you all are looking for someplace a little fancier to eat.  There use to be a Place across Pen Ave from Heinz hall.  Great food.  I use to eat there when I went up to plays and other things in the Cultural District. It was Called Bravo Franko's, might be another name now.  I met John Williams in there one night after his concert at Heinze Hall. Pittsburgh has a great Cultural District, check it out on line before you go. You may even catch a good play or something while you're there.

I'm another transplanted Ohioan.  I miss the big city of the "BURGH.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I've lived in Houston, Texas, for almost half my life... but The Burgh will always be my home.  ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

lordwriothsley

Amy....As far as M'Cracks go I don't think you'll find any in the Pittsburgh area as I don't think that we have a chapter up there yet, but I do know for a fact that we do have one in the area that PARF is located in if you wanna try to find some to meet up with there now. Hope that helps a little.  :)
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"