News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Good price/deal for Singer serger?

Started by Rani Zemirah, February 15, 2012, 01:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

There is a possibility I could get my hands on two Singer sewing machines for $50 right now, and I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about either of these machines before I laid out the money.

The first is an older Singer Electronic Control Sewing Machine, and the second is a Singer Ultra-lock Serger, and the woman is selling them both for $50.  The regular machine appears to be a SINGER 57817 17-Stitch-Function and Electronic Speed Control Sewing Machine, but it's not my main focus.  It's the serger I'm interested in, but I've never used one before, and I was hoping one of you incredibly knowledgeable ladies have had some experience with this model.  Would this be a good beginner model for learning on, do any of you know?  And is this as good a deal as it sounds, or is someone just trying to unload a troublesome machine?  She says in the ad that she just bought a new machine, and that these were given to her by a friend, and she now has no need of them. 

Sooo... I guess what I'm really asking is... should I jump on this before it disappears, or not?  I really want a serger, but I absolutely cannot afford to spend what it would cost to get one of the really nice models right now, or in the foreseeable future... so, will this work to learn on, and last until I can afford something better, or not?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Kate XXXXXX

I don't know anything about it, but at that price it's worth the gamble.  If you don't get on you can either ebay them or pass them on to someone else. 

Rani Zemirah

Thaks, Kate!  That's kind of what I thought, as well... sooo... I went ahead and got them!  I was lucky, because the person who was selling them had already had one call from someone who wanted to come pick them up this evening, after 6pm... but I said I could be there by 9:15 am, and that made the sale!  They both work, although while the serger was being demonstrated the needle broke, so I'll have to replace that... but at least I know they run!  Can't afford to get needles or thread for it until the first of March, though, so that will give me time to read the manual cover to cover (had to download it, but that was easy), and the two serger books I have, as well, before I ever even try to sew with it.  Oh, and it came with a $23 Hobby Lobby book specifically for beginning serger users, so I feel like I got an amazing deal!!!  I'm VERY excited, now!!!  ;D  I have the feeling I'm going to have LOTS of questions for all of you pros from now on, though...  LOL
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede