News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

All's Faire in Love

Started by Captain Teague, February 26, 2012, 01:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Teague

Anyone seen this? It was a very limited release evidently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034090/
The Code is the Law...

BubbleWright

There was a thread back in the Fall about All's Faire, the net Renfaire spoof, and All's Faire in Love, the movie. The movie had only a one week run and was released on DVD at the beginning of February. See link below for the thread discussing these....

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=12346.0

The DVD is available from Amazon.

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Captain Teague

Ordered. Thanks!  ;D

Reviews were kind of bad on it, but I don't usually take those all that seriously anyway. Was hoping to hear from some true Rennies around here.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Merlin the Elder

Keep me posted on what you find, LD. I was hoping they would put it on NetFlix streaming...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 27, 2012, 06:08:55 AM
Keep me posted on what you find, LD. I was hoping they would put it on NetFlix streaming...

I was also hoping to see it on Netflix - You can rent it from Amazon - $3.99 (for a week)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Captain Teague

Yep, saw Amazon had it streaming. I figured for the cost, owning yet another Faire oriented video could never hurt, especially during the withdrawal season when anything, just ANYTHING will do,lol.

Looks to be a decent cast after all, and the previews were fairly funny, it can't be all that bad.
The Code is the Law...

Lady Mac

The movie was filmed while the Michigan Faire was going on, which was awesome for
attendance in 2009. I would gather that 99% of MRF fans know about, have seen or
own a copy of the movie. The funnest part we had watching, was landmarking and
seeing spots used as backdrops.

Very funny sidenote* Miss Ricci used one of the "blue rooms(privies) behind our booth.
After her Royal, Hollywood deposit, a clever person put an aluminum-covered, cardboard
star on the door, that remained for the rest of the faire run.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Captain Teague

LOL....wonderful trivia. Thanks for the info, Milady.  :D
The Code is the Law...

Jared Thorne

I think that I would order it solely for the fact that it takes place at the Michigan Renaissance Faire. I was a regular there once upon a time, but I haven't been back since 2006 (work and family have kept me away for way too long).
Jared Thorne
aka Sir Charles of Loveland Castle
KOGT
Rogue #261
LVH #76
IFRP #80

Zardoz

OK, a couple days ago I came across a copy of 'All's Faire in Love' in the DVD bargan bin at the supermarket of all places.  So I risked the 4 bucks to check it out.

One thing I always notice whenever faire is portrayed in movies or TV is that the folks who write this stuff seem to confuse ren-faires; basically entertainment venues, with Historical reenactment / SCA type /living history events. In this movie for example, the day to day operations of the faire in question are run by the hierarchy of nobles and peasants in the faire cast, and many of them never break character, even 'after hours'.

Once you get past that, It really wasn't that bad, it's a pretty funny movie.  I can report that Christina Ricci looks mighty cute in faire garb, and there are a couple of really funny, if sometimes over the top performances, although I think there is more comedy gold at faire than they mined. But it is what it is, a rom-com set at a faire.
The biggest problem with the whole thing is the leading man, he's supposed to be some sort of comedian, so it's a shame that he's not that funny. I think the role as written could have been better served by another actor.

Other than the details I mentioned, since it was shot during the Michigan Faire, it has a realistic backdrop, and did an OK good job in catching the overall look and 'feel' of faire. And unlike lots of stuff I've seen it doesn't try to make all rennies look like geeks etc..  I came in with low expectations, but thought it was OK. View at your own risk though.  ;)
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Captain Teague

Thanky, Zardoz. :)

My copy came in but haven't had a chance to see it due to the busy weekend. Sounds like something I will like, although I am a quirky kind of movie person.

I know how they tend to muddle the lines between different cultures of the same vein but I accepted that long ago due to learning that summer camps are nothing like the real thing, band camps, boot camps, military spoofs and comedies, the list goes on. I just place tongue in cheek and suspend belief personally. ;)
"House" did an episode where he and crew treated someone from a year round Ren Faire with a hierarchy such as you describe and muddled many lines between SCA and Rennies, at least IMO.

Hollywood can certainly use some extreme poetic license these days. That other possible new show that they are trying to present, All's Faire I think....I been to a lot of Faires but I don't seem to recall anyone smoking a Doob on the front rampart wall. :D  :P    8)
The Code is the Law...

Love Good Wood

i waited a couple of year on this to finally be released and alothough not one of the worst movies i've ever seen, it was pretty high on the list (and i love bad movies)... it was one of those times where the trailer was better than the full movie. I did like Christina and Matthew, but that's about it... and the Jester with the unicorn got really annoying.

a much funnier but low to no budget "All' Faire" is a series of shorts on youtube done by some indie group... but very, vey funny

p.s. i usually don't say anything negitive about many movies, but i couldn't resist on this one... thanks

Robert Phoenix

I picked this up at our local video store for $5.  I actually liked it (aside from unicorn jester) but as noted I would like to see a really good faire movie done.  Something that included some of the ren faire "stars' and had a decent plot. I did see Ded Bob but that's the only one I knew of. One of these days I might head dwon from Upper Michgan to check out this faire.  My wife has been wanting to go for a couple yers but there is that whole expense thing.  For now its Ishpeming, MN and Bristol for us.

Lady Penelope

I saw this recently and have to agree that it wasn't that great yet it wasn't the worst movie out there.
I didn't go into this movie with high hopes, so I wasn't completely disappointed.  I agree that some parts of it were really over the top/bordering on annoying (The jester and his unicorn, the prince and him not breaking character even after hours).

Taken at face value, it's a nice movie that can tie me over when I'm going through faire withdrawl in the winter months.

ETA:  I am fairly new to the renfest world, being a vendor for numerous weekend long faires around Ontario (this year we will be vending at 10 events).  I'm wondering if how they portrayed the after-hours camp setting is common with the bigger, multi-week faires.

Sir Rat

For all who were wanting to see this via Netflix streaming, it is available.  That is where I saw it.