News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loss for the st louis faire.

Started by jcbanner, February 28, 2012, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

I'm sure some of you have heard by now, but if you haven't, I regret being the barer of bad news, Bob Swank, the former President of RSL has passed away.

His death was very unexpected and is effecting us greatly. I knew that despite our disagreement about how to do things, I could always count on his good company shared around a campfire laughing late into the night.  Bob always did his best to make sure that everyone was taken care of and having a good time.  His presence will be greatly missed everywhere he was known.

Douglass Carr, the Event Director for RSL had the following to say:

QuoteAlthough our faire started as the brainchild of one man, it seems to be more appropriate to me to say that there have been several people who were instrumental in it's birth and continuation over the years. One of these people was Bob Swank.

Over the years, Bob has given a lot of his time, his passion, his patience, and his love to what we do. He has served as a board member, the President of the board, our entertainment director, he has performed as a re-enactor, a pirate, and a buccaneer. While he served as an administrator for the city of Wentzville, Bob worked hard to ensure that RSL and the city were united in purpose. He worked tirelessly to improve our patron's experience, and he gave a lot of himself for the well-being and happiness of our cast.

Bob has also been one of our biggest boosters and cheerleaders. His heart was in our event, and whether you saw him or not, he was usually nearby somewhere, seeing to some detail or being a part of the show. He really cared about us, and he wanted us to be successful.

Personally, I have long seen Bob as one of several mentors, and although we did not always agree on an issue, I listened to him, I respected his opinion, and I tried to learn from him.

Bob was very instrumental in bringing me back to RSL, and for that, he will always have my thanks. It is hard to say goodbye to someone who has been this important, but besides his work with RSL, he leaves us another legacy. I like to believe that Bob passed on his best qualities to his son, Mike Swank, and helped make Mike the man he is today. His legacy continues as Mike has passed on his own best qualities to his son Gib. I know that Bob is proud of them both.

Although a loved one's passing brings mourning, let us also celebrate his life. Thank you Bob Swank, friend, leader, colleague, booster, mentor, father. Your home will always be with us

angusmacinnes

Sorry to hear of your great loss there.  Godspeed Bob.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Butch

lys1022

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  Our condolences.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess