News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to Peace Tie Weapons?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 23, 2008, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

My home faire (The Sterling Renaissance Festival) is now allowing peace tied weapons and I am looking at how to accomplish this task.  I could not find instructions on the internet on how to peace tie weapons.

What sorts of ties are typically acceptable and what kinds of things are deemed acceptable to tie to?  Are these typically plastic or metal ties or would it generally be acceptable if I made a simple knot with a length of red linen cloth I cut into a strip?

Is the purpose of peace-tying to prevent other people from drawing your steel or is it meant to somehow prevent the owner from drawing their steel?  If someone really wanted to draw steel they could easily pull a plastic zip-tie off.  If a person really wanted to threaten someone or harm someone I doubt they would be worried if the faire security saw them without a peace tie installed and would kick them out of the faire.

For example if a dagger handle has a cross bar but its sheath does not have a belt loop it would be difficult to tie the dagger to its own sheath.  In this case would it generally be acceptable to tuck the dagger (and sheath) under my belt and just tie the dagger to the belt?  In this case someone could pull the sheath off the dagger but the dagger would be tied under the persons belt and could not be used against someone.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Black Armor

I hear that my home faire here in Michigan (Mi Ren Fest in Holly) will be allowing peace tied weapons this year.  It looks like the security people at the gate will be putting a peace tie on for us as we enter. 

groomporter

MNRF zip ties weapons as they come in the gate, but for a long time there and at a many fairs as long as you had a cord or leather thong tying the knife/sword to the sheath so it couldn't be quickly drawn, it was considered peace tied. It's been a couple decades since I came through the public gate though so I don't know if that's still acceptable at MNRF
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Trillium

It probably depends on your faire's decision on what is acceptable but at TRF just using a cloth or rope is acceptable (when they even check).  The purpose is usually 2 fold: to keep curious and usually drunk on-looker from pulling your weapon without your knowledge and to keep you from pulling your weapon without thinking.
Got faerie dust?

Lady Christina de Pond

when i peace tye my sword i usually take ribbon( yes i know guys aren't gonna use ribbon i can get bye with it ok ) i usually go under the sword belt loop and then over my my hilt last year i did it down the sheath it looked pretty neat but i think the most that you really need is over the hilt and under the sword belt as long as it can't be easily pulled from the sheath
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

escherblacksmith

yeah, you need to check with you local rules, but odds are, if it is tied in enough that a random person can't just draw it, then you should be good.

AZRF peace zip-tied my Vice-grips multi-tool.

Go fig.

--

Lady Christina de Pond

Rofl that would be a sight to see someone peace tying a gerber
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

DonaCatalina

I make peace ties for Don Juan out of scraps so that his swords match his garb. 14-15 inches is usually long enough to go through the hanger straps, and around the hilt a couple of times.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Once Debauched

Here in St. Louis they use zip ties at the front gate if your weapon isn't already tied in some fashion.

I'd say just tie it off where it can't be easily pulled and chances are you're good.
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

groomporter

Of course all a Scotsman needs to peace tie his "weapon" is a bit of blue ribbon
::)

-Runs away sniggering
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

BLAKDUKE

DID I READ RIGHT, PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT HALLUCINATING,  "STERLING IS NOW ALLOWING PEACE TIED WEAPONS'
HALLELEUAH  YAYYYUS, THEY HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT AND OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.   Now that I have gotten that out of my system, there are several ways to peace tie a weapon.  if you want to be as close to P.C. as you can get for the times, you can use a rose.  A real one if you can get one with a lot of thorns.  The idea being that if you were to attempt to draw in the heat of the moment the thorns would wake you up to the potential reality of the situation and calm you down.  I have resorted to a wire leather rose and while I have never been hot enought to attempt to draw, there have photo ops at the fencing corral at some faires where swords are crossed and photos taken, so sometimes it is necessary to be able to draw if there is a need.  Usually the guards at the gate once they see that my blade is peace tied they have immediately put away their little pieces of plastic.  In a couple of events when I have had to have those put on I usually can cover them up with the rose or a leather thong, or something.  At least now I can look forward to going to what used to be my home faire.     
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Kruzar

I know for the faires that I have attended that for peace tying it is merely a preventative of being able to draw the weapon quickly.  Every tie can be broken, and it is really there more as a preventative more than anything else.

I personally tie my blade with a black leather cord that does not look out of place with my garb.  I wrap it in a way that the pommel is tied to the scabard and the blade can not be pulled without untying. 

This tie has worked for me at several faires, but each faire is a little different.  I have seen the zip tie method as previously mentioned, and it will really depend on your faire.
Gentleman Rogue

PurpleDragon

While weapons are supposed to be peace tied when they come through the gates at most (if not all) faires that allow them. Sometimes the guards at the gate do not look close enough.  I can usually get through the gate without a peace tie for some unknown reason, and they stop the guy behind me and make him peace tie his.  Now, the simplest peace tie method is to use zip ties as has been mentioned.  (Any weapon that is purchased at the booth I work at TRF (The Pirates Cove) is peace tied in this manner), or you can do as I have actually started doing.. I leave the swords at home.. much less tired and less sore at the end of the day if I am not lugging around that piece of steel all day long.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Hatter

I've been to several Fairs and have found that MNRF is the most dedicated to peace tie.  They almost always zip tie my weapons even if I have them tied with leather.  There is some difference between gate personnel. I have found a couple that allow my leather ties.

robert of armstrong

One of the keys to a Peace Tie is that it CANNOT be drawn with the Peace Tie on, not by you, and not by that druken brute of a  mundane we have all heard about, every Faire seeme to have one. 

One has to not only make sure that the weaon will not leave the scabbard, but also that the scabbarded weapon cannot be pulled out of the frog, or off the belt.  It would be embarissing to have to chase a person down through the Shire after then not only get your weapon, but the scabbard for it as well.  With swords, a heavy duty zip-tie around the handle, just above the pommel (or hand guard), then down and through the belt loop in the frog works well.  It can then be covered/camoflaged with a strip of leather, fabric, etc.  Just remember that Staff will most likely want to see the Peace Tie, so be able to move whatever you use to disguise it for examination.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.