News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to Peace Tie Weapons?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 23, 2008, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuhail

I have been a Bristol Rennie for many, many years now and before I was an employee, I always noticed that security would give my hilt a yank and if it didn't come out of the scabbard, it was okay. If it did, they would zip-tie it.
My peace tie is always attached to my sword belt, so, whatever blade and scabbard I slide in there can always be peace-tied with the same method. The actual peace-tie is a length of leather cord with both ends going into and coming out the same direction of a metal...bead. I loop the cord (behind/under the bead) over my crossguard and just cinch the bead down the leather cord until it's snug against the crossguard and then tie a single-loop knot with both cord ends on top of the bead, making it impossible to just pull the bead loose. The sword stays where it is until you need to loosen it and unscabbard.

The way I look at it, a peace-tie is a promise by the weilder to keep his/her blade in it's scabbard where it belongs. If security doesn't trust your promise, they zip the sucker in.

Hope I've helped,
Cuhail McMurphy
Honor before Gold!

Dallan

A mildly amusing piece tie story: We traveled to a festival that was several states to the south of us for the first time this fall. At the gate a teenager working there asked me to allow her to piece tie my sword as I had expected she would. After a very enjoyable day we returned to the car to prepare to head back to the hotel. As I lifted the baldric over my head so that I could put it in the car the sword slide from its scabbard and hit the ground, piece tied still to itself. So much for security.
Fight'n

BLAKDUKE

Dallan:

That is not as uncommon as you would think.  I have had ladies tie brightly colored ribbons only to the hilt of my rapier.  Thank God I have my own piece tie that secures it to the scabbard and the baldric.  I have tried to tell them, but they give me this Stepford Wife look, smile and go to the next weapons carrier.

They walk amoung us, they breed, and they vote  scary isn't it??????
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

jcbanner

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on August 13, 2008, 02:58:36 PM

<snip>

They walk amoung us, they breed, and they vote  scary isn't it??????

Yes!

Oldarcher

Took the arrows and longbow in again Sunday, the gentleman at the gate said, as he shook the quiver, "if they dont come out they can go in", the gatewench agreed!
HUZZAH (as I could not find a copy of The Policy this year) !!

Mead is now spendier though, I'll have to sneak some in.

Oldarcher

My Queen and I also went the third-to-last w/e, they wouldnt let tied arrows in!!! Not a surprise, they can be erratic at the gates :o.  My arrows warped anyway so instead of using them to shoot around corners 8) I think I'll cut them and glue them into a wooden puck that'll fit in the quiver.
Maybe that'll get them in next year! :-\

Obadiah Jib

I use a leather cord as a peace tie on my blades while working at the Minnesota Festival.  Sometimes I attach beads or other interesting bits to make it look better.  When doing organized street fights (read as STAGE COMBAT) as a cast member I use a loop to secure the weapon but remove seconds before the show.

I can not count how many times I have had patrons yank on my weapons.  I'm pretty good about letting anyone touch my arms but steel is never drawn.  While a few of these bold patrons have been drunks a good number are kids who just push past all decent rules of contact while Mom and Dad sit back and wait to call the Lawyer on the cell phone.  And don't get me started on kids with wooden swords!
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Lady Christina de Pond

i'm thankful i'm creative and peace tie something very cute on my sword as well for the fact that my sword has a strap on it's sheath that snaps over the cross guard and keeps it in anyway. some crazy teenager asked me this year at Garf is he could hold my sword. i said i'm sorry but no i should have said they king would have his head for thinking of touching another person's weapon
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Valiss on July 09, 2008, 12:16:30 PM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on July 09, 2008, 12:15:03 PM
Yup and as stated on the first page of this thread Sterling also is reconsidering this, IMHO, foolish policy.

Interesting.  Why do you think this is a bad choice?

Valiss:

I am sorry for the lengthy time for this response.  However Your name does not sound familiar to me, therefore I will assume that we do not know each other.  If that is true then I will explain.  the subsequent post after yours is true the former 'NO WEAPONS' policy was foolish.  On this board and on the old board, just ask any of the old timers about my opinon of faires that do not allow weapons.  simply put my opinion of them is lower than whale dung.  I have always been most vocal about it.  In those case where I could not reach the powers to be with common sense, I reached into their pocketbooks and stated firmly that I would boycott that faire until that policy is done away with.  As such KCRF, MIRF, BARF, MICH RF,  and any other faire that banned weapons I have not attended.  We won't discuss the fact that I have not had any opportunity to attend any of those mentioned but if I did I would not.  I have expounded at length on the reasoning on other threads that you can search and read so I will not go into here.  I am glad to see that some  of these faire are re-examining their thinking and revising said policy.  Welcome to the board.

BLAKDUKE

L.Dale:

I have read with interest the many tales you have told about your encounters with brain dead mundanes.  I cannot discount what you say.  while I have not been to the faires that you have,   I too attended faires in the 80's and never saw any of the types of incidents that you describe.  Rest assured I am not saying they did not happen, it was probably just different venues and such.  Actual fighting weapons as you say were not common back then, that is why I had to find wall hangers(those were abundant) that I liked and then adapted them to eppe/foil blades.  As an avid fencer in my youngers days that was my weapon of choice.  By the 90's is when I started to hear of faires that banned weapons.  It is ironic that 2 faires mentioned Sterling and Maryland both allowed weapons in the 80's and yet if you asked any of the staff they would always state that they never did until I showed them pictures.  Then the true story would come about "well there was this time when we had a drunk.... etc, etc, etc."  You know the rest.  It is nice though that the majority of faires DO allow weapons, so for the ones that don't.....  Oh well I don't have to go to those.   Hope to see you at a faire.

jcbanner

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on October 05, 2008, 09:32:44 PM
I use a leather cord as a peace tie on my blades while working at the Minnesota Festival.  Sometimes I attach beads or other interesting bits to make it look better.  When doing organized street fights (read as STAGE COMBAT) as a cast member I use a loop to secure the weapon but remove seconds before the show.

I can not count how many times I have had patrons yank on my weapons.  I'm pretty good about letting anyone touch my arms but steel is never drawn.  While a few of these bold patrons have been drunks a good number are kids who just push past all decent rules of contact while Mom and Dad sit back and wait to call the Lawyer on the cell phone.  And don't get me started on kids with wooden swords!

That sounds much the same as what we do at my home faire, leave the swords tied untill a short bit before we need them.

I have no idea why at faires "Mom and Dad" suddenly feel that its no longer their responsibility to watch their kids, we're not a day care center, and it they went to a theme park they wouldn't expect the ride operators and lane characters to watch their kids, why do they expect it here?

Wooden swords should be piece tied just as much as any other sword, just because its wood, doesn't mean it cant do damage.  I have no idea how many things on have been broken because of some kid running around waving one of those blasted things.

Black Armor

Quote from: jcbanner on October 27, 2008, 10:33:16 AM
Wooden swords should be piece tied just as much as any other sword, just because its wood, doesn't mean it cant do damage.  I have no idea how many things on have been broken because of some kid running around waving one of those blasted things.

I usually have a few kids each day come up and start hitting my armor with those wooden swords while the parents just stand by and laugh.  Appearently they think that's what I'm there for but I just don't get it.  I try to be as nice as possible because they're kids and it's really the parents' fault but it really ticks me off sometimes.  It's just really inconsiderate. 

Jack Daw at Work

TX Ren Fest does not get picky and does not require zip ties.  I secure my Scottish dirk in by using a leather thong, tying the knob ontop of my dirk pommel to a loop in its scabbard.  I use a leather thong to peace-tie my two-handed claymore, too.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Carl Heinz

I haven't carried a sword in years, but do carry sharp pointies on my belt ranging from a rather long dirk to daggers of varying lenghts.  All have sheaths with built in leather straps as peace ties.

Now for my rant to the folks who do carry swords.  Please be aware of where the tip is.  I've seen too many folks have their shins whacked because someone carrying a sword was too careless to keep control of the tip of a sword.  Adults might be aware that there's a sword tip in their area and avoid it, but kids frequently aren't.  As far as I'm concerned, it's the responsibility of the person carrying a sword to be aware of the tip.  I've also seen folks carrying swords in scabbards so worn that the tip was exposed.  When I carried a sword, I used a baldric that could be rigged for vertical carry.  I could rehang it for an angled carry but usually did not.

So please be aware of the tip of your pieces.

End of rant.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Manwariel

My sword has a sheath, but even so, do you have any advice on how to make sure one avoids wacking people with it?  :P It's rather long (42 inches overall. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a shorter one).

And I have a sword frog. At what angle should my sword be?