News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to Peace Tie Weapons?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 23, 2008, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Heinz

Quote from: jcbanner on April 14, 2009, 01:24:45 PM
whatever happened to personal responsibility?  Where if you screwed up, that was it?  Now, if you screwed up, its someone else's fault because there was the potential for someone else to do something stupid?
Yup, that's one of the things that makes getting around on a mobility scooter so interesting.  :)  I've had some instances where I'm sure people have put a foot out hoping that I'd run over it.  Really makes you aware of what's going on around you.  Of course, the plus is that you can spot folks wanting a photo op more easily.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Toua Taru

I'm a "weapon-virgin" and will be carrying for the first time at FLaRF in February. I understand they must be sheathed and peace-tied.

Do they check at the gate before you enter?

I just want to make sure I know the procedure before I get there.

Thanks in advance and Merry Holidays everyone!
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Toua Sondokan on December 25, 2009, 11:53:15 AM
I'm a "weapon-virgin" and will be carrying for the first time at FLaRF in February. I understand they must be sheathed and peace-tied.

You can call the faire office about their policies and for more practical advise, cross post this in the FlaRF forum.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

robert of armstrong

Quote from: Toua Sondokan on December 25, 2009, 11:53:15 AM

I always peace tie at the car in the lot, if not at home before attending Faire.  Zip ties are best, they come in white, but you can find them in black and even grey if that makes them less obvious while walking around Faire. 

Figure out how to loop the tie so that it secures the weapon in it's sheath - this usually means over the hilt/gaurd of a sword, then through the straps or a hole of the frog that holds the sheath to the belt, or around the belt itself.  Look at your setup and find the best way to secure the weapon in advance.

When approaching the Gates, make a point of approaching the staff checking peace ties and show them what you have done to secure the weapon, and ask them if it is alright.  They may want to alter your tie or attach their own - if they do let them, its their job.

Have fun, and try to remember that you now have a hard object protruding behind you - careful when walking through crowds or in other tight places, you don't want to hit anyone or break anything.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Zaubon

What I've always used is brightly colored ribbon about 1/4" wide.  Wrapped and tied several times around the hilt and scabbard it makes for a very colorful, obvious and effective peace tie. The bright colors are in character for celebrating at a faire and that ribbon way too strong to be pulled off. Throw in the fact that once you pull the knots tight you have to cut them to release the tie. Security has never even questioned me about my blades.

Zaubon

FOG

This was my first year attending ren fairs, and somehow I got to attend the gate, and install peace ties.  I had what may be an unusual opportunity for a peace tie when a patron came in with a Colt 1911, in unconcealed carry.  He had the hammer cocked, and I thought he might even have had a round in the chamber (he had an empty chamber in the weapon-perhaps another empty chamber elsewhere- and a loaded magazine).  I made him clear the weapon and keep it unloaded, then I put the peace tie, a zip tie, through the chamber into the barrel and around the outside of the slide, along the lines of the NRA safety device for matches, and then I lowered the hammer and put a second peace tie through the trigger guard and around the hammer so it could not be cocked again.  Finally, I secured the weapon to the patron's belt.  AS a safety measure I also made the patron put the rounds back in the magazine, and store the magazine separately, so the patron would not get his round covered in dirt, risking a dangerous situation should he as some later time fire the rounds in question.

For those of you who live in states with relatively widespread handgun carry, it might do well to think through how you would secure a firearm.  My thought is that the firearm needs to be rendered safe by doing something that prevents cocking the action, loading the chamber, losing the weapon to simple extraction, or which threatens to render a weapon unsafe for later use, such as by getting dirt on rounds.

groomporter

In Minnesota our carry law allows businesses to ban people from carrying firearms on their premises, so since MNRF is on privately-owned land they have signs at the gates saying they ban guns from the site.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

robert of armstrong

Quote from: FOG on September 10, 2010, 01:07:09 PM
...I had what may be an unusual opportunity for a peace tie when a patron came in with a Colt 1911, in unconcealed carry...

For those of you who live in states with relatively widespread handgun carry, it might do well to think through how you would secure a firearm.  My thought is that the firearm needs to be rendered safe by doing something that prevents cocking the action, loading the chamber, losing the weapon to simple extraction, or which threatens to render a weapon unsafe for later use, such as by getting dirt on rounds.

I understand a period piece that forwards a character, but why would a person wear something like a semi-automatic pistol to a Faire?  I am from Barrie, Ontario.  I understand that some areas, and some groups of people, of the the US take their right to bear arms rather seriously, but come on.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Oh, no, this is going to highjack the thread and start a whole new debate.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

escherblacksmith

yeah, before anyone decides to answer that question, we have all sorts of people who do all sorts of things that don't seem to make sense to one person or another.  I won't modify it, but I'm leaving this note here.

The topic is peace-tying(sp), what you do, what can be done, etc.

Thanks!
--

Jack Daw at Work

I use leather thongs to peace tie, which is acceptable at TRF.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Stolenhalo6

There's a lot of talk about peace tieing (sp?) at faire, but I want to remind everyone that depending on what state you live in, your blades need to be secured while being transported to faire.  I've carried a flip open pocket knife in my purse or on my person since I went off to college.  I was recently pulled over for a tail light that was out and the officer saw the blade on my car seat after I dumped out my purse to find my drivers license.  In MN, there's lots of fun laws about how long a blade can be before it's considered a concealed weapon.  Ridiculous as it was, the officer gave me crap for it and insisted on measuring my blade before he'd let me go.  BTW, it is exactly 1/8" shorter than the legal limit for me to be able to carry it without a concealed weapons permit.  I hate to think what would have happend if I had been on my way home from faire and had my dagger in the car...  Most of you faire veterans are probably aware of the transporting rules, but some of the newbies might not be.
Rachel in "real life"
Wench #3893
Careful, she bites.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Stolenhalo6 on October 31, 2010, 12:41:49 AM
There's a lot of talk about peace tieing (sp?) at faire, but I want to remind everyone that depending on what state you live in, your blades need to be secured while being transported to faire.  I've carried a flip open pocket knife in my purse or on my person since I went off to college.  I was recently pulled over for a tail light that was out and the officer saw the blade on my car seat after I dumped out my purse to find my drivers license.  In MN, there's lots of fun laws about how long a blade can be before it's considered a concealed weapon.  Ridiculous as it was, the officer gave me crap for it and insisted on measuring my blade before he'd let me go.  BTW, it is exactly 1/8" shorter than the legal limit for me to be able to carry it without a concealed weapons permit.  I hate to think what would have happend if I had been on my way home from faire and had my dagger in the car...  Most of you faire veterans are probably aware of the transporting rules, but some of the newbies might not be.
Good advice, which is why all His Lordship's blades stay in the trunk while travelling, or if we are in the CRV, they are bundled in plain cotton fabric and stowed in the back.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Bolton_Bailiffe

Good advice, which is why all His Lordship's blades stay in the trunk while travelling, or if we are in the CRV, they are bundled in plain cotton fabric and stowed in the back.

That's sound practise - we're in New Jersey and we always wrap the weapon (swords and occasional arquebus) and then pack it down low.  Never had an issue, but always pays to avoid a rookie policeman or one who's just had a bad day. ;D

NecromancerJennyfer

[/quote]
Thanks :) I've been wearing it around the house to get used to it :D
[/quote]

Haha I wear mine around the house because I can't get over how AWESOME it is!  ;D

Also, to all you weapon veterans, I have 2 questions. I just got my first real blade, and was wondering if I can carry one in at the age of 16. On another note, is chaining the scabbard to the hilt considered a peace-tie?

Thanks!
Jennyfer

Hoowil

Check with the faire, and state authorties, if they have an age requirement. I know more than one faire around here where minors are not allowed to have weapons, to the point where I have seen vendors ask teens to stay out of their shops because they have open blade displays. In California, minors are not allowed to purchase blades, but I carried at a local faire as young as 13.
Most places consider anything that keeps the weapon from being drawn as it being tied. This does not include the snap down straps or hooked stays as they are easily removed. I've seen some require a heavy weight zip tie to be put on at the gate, by a faire gate guard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.