News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to Peace Tie Weapons?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 23, 2008, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamwalker

This year at TRF is my first year carrying weapons, set of daggers. The largers is on a belt and frog system with a "corset holder and a tie further up, both secured by leather lace. Smaller is part of the left arm vambrace also on a corset system plus safet on the hilt. Both daggers in their scabbards also. Ive found out leather lace dosent come undone quickly, so hopefully from what I've heard in here they won't make me do the zip ties thing.

It's funny noone considers walking staffs weapons. If you can clock someone with it, it's a weapon. Many a time I've felt obligated to park my staff at the door with smaller shops and/or those with breakable wears.
Normal? What's that?

escherblacksmith

I don't think it is quite that way of thinking.  I can't speak for TRF, but other faires are that way because they don't want the drunken public (drunktrons) to get liquored up and draw steel on each other, or pull another persons dagger/sword, whatever (had that one happen to me many years ago).  Oddly enough, I've never seen a drunk pull a staff.

Now, little kids with those wooden swords?  those should be outlawed.

;D
--

DonaCatalina

Speaking from his Lordship's experiences at TRF, zip ties are not required. His armaments are secured with a variety of ties from leather to embroidered fabric depending on what he is wearing. The Beefeaters merely check to make sure that it is secured from being pulled easily, exemplia gratia, drunks grabbing at someone else's weapon.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

dreamwalker

Quote from: escherblacksmith on November 02, 2011, 08:05:23 AM
I don't think it is quite that way of thinking.  I can't speak for TRF, but other faires are that way because they don't want the drunken public (drunktrons) to get liquored up and draw steel on each other, or pull another persons dagger/sword, whatever (had that one happen to me many years ago).  Oddly enough, I've never seen a drunk pull a staff.

Now, little kids with those wooden swords?  those should be outlawed.

;D

Yeah, you have to admit adult shins and knee caps are at the ideal height should one of them get any ideas...
Normal? What's that?

BLAKDUKE

Yeah, that is why they should require children to be kept in kennels or on a leash.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

nomad

Quote from: dreamwalker on November 03, 2011, 12:40:05 AM
Quote from: escherblacksmith on November 02, 2011, 08:05:23 AM
I don't think it is quite that way of thinking.  I can't speak for TRF, but other faires are that way because they don't want the drunken public (drunktrons) to get liquored up and draw steel on each other, or pull another persons dagger/sword, whatever (had that one happen to me many years ago).  Oddly enough, I've never seen a drunk pull a staff.

Now, little kids with those wooden swords?  those should be outlawed.

;D

Yeah, you have to admit adult shins and knee caps are at the ideal height should one of them get any ideas...

Glad my greaves came in yesterday. *wonders if they'll get tested*
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: dreamwalker on November 01, 2011, 11:25:35 PM...
It's funny noone considers walking staffs weapons. If you can clock someone with it, it's a weapon. Many a time I've felt obligated to park my staff at the door with smaller shops and/or those with breakable wears.
My staff is about 5½ feet long, and as big around as my wrist—a formidable weapon—but it would be hard to stab someone with it, unlike a dagger or sword.  I did ask the gentleman at the gate at Colorado RF if he needed to peace-tie my staff, and he just gave me a dirty look. Some folks have no sense of humour...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Adriana Rose

kids with swords *twitch* they can be deadly to the shins. Wich is why I am glad that I wear very full skirts, they pad the blow if it happens... also its fun to carry a wooden sword to fight back. ;D

faustinblack

Next year is going to be the first year I'm dressing up, and I'm going to Scarborough Faire. So, anyone know what exactly happens at the gate when your carrying a sword. I'm OCD and I want to make sure I'm prepared. Gracias.
Haakaa paalle!

dreamwalker

It has to have and be in a sheath/scabbard and be tied in such a way that you cannot draw the weapon without undoing the ties. I just used leather lace and the beefeaters at TRF barely looked at my blades, I even asked "hey these alright and stuff?"
Normal? What's that?

DonaCatalina

Quote from: faustinblack on December 01, 2011, 09:58:15 PM
Next year is going to be the first year I'm dressing up, and I'm going to Scarborough Faire. So, anyone know what exactly happens at the gate when your carrying a sword. I'm OCD and I want to make sure I'm prepared. Gracias.

Come up and say hi if you see us.  :)
Dreamwalker is correct. The hilt must be secured in such a way that the sword cannot be drawn from its scabbard easily. Leather laces, ribbons etc. all work fine.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

faustinblack

I might just do that. :) I was just worried because their website seemed like they were very... Against their patrons carrying weapons. I was feeling a bit discouraged
Haakaa paalle!

Adriana Rose

If you can get a Renaissance Magazine in the faire listings they tell you the weapons policy of the festival. If you cant find one a call to the festival office will answer any questions.

DonaCatalina

I think most faires try to discourage weapons simply because it increases the liklihood ofan incident. However, the ones that do not ban weapons altogether realize that if they have weapons vendors, patrons are going to carry weapons. The Scots guards at Scarborough's gate will be happy to give you any advice or assitance regarding weapons.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

I wish there was a way to peace-tie someone's mouth—nobody here. I hate being around mean-mouthed people.   :-[ Sorry to interrupt...carry on.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...