News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hoping for some help

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, November 18, 2013, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

So, I found this thingy http://io9.com/the-haunting-remains-of-the-virginia-renaissance-faire-1448130076, which I find absolutely fascinating... but I am troubled by one recurring thought: What was the five story shop for?

Seriously, if there's anyone who ever went to this faire who could tell me, I'd be greatly appreciative.

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

I read the original thread back in 2009-what was the story with this Faire?
  Something wrong with the ground? Taxes not paid? Those buildings were glorious...and the whole thing only lasted 3 years.  Sad
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

NicoleBridget

I can only imagine how beautiful this faire was in life if it's this beautiful in death.  What happened there?

BLAKDUKE

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

arbcoind

DonaCatalina

Someone spent some serious money on this stone tower. It could pass for a 12th century ruin in France.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

One of the photos shows a close up of that, and it looks like the stone was fake...

LadyHelenofCarvylle

This was my families home faire for the entirety of it's run. We started going to it after discovering the MDRF and found that one faire just wasn't enough. I was only 8 when it closed down but I seem to blurrily recall that the 5 story shop was only 1 or maybe 2 functioning levels with the others added for visual effect, as I believe many of the buildings were. Looking at the way they've deteriorated it appears most were no more than elaborate set pieces with fairly minimal functionality. They sure did add to the ambiance though and I have many fond memories of seeing history brought to life there.