News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trying this again

Started by Drac, March 12, 2012, 08:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Hello all,

I lurk around a bit.  I tried a fan a while back but couldn't get the thread right.  Finally got them right and starting it over again. 

Refresher, the pattern I'm trying -

After about 9 hours of bobbin winding -

Got it all setup -

After about a half a day.  First "set" is always the slowest since there is no foundation yet -

The next morning after the threads relax in place -

After a full day of work.  Goes a bit faster now that there is tension on it -

This morning after they relax.  Starting to look like something -

Have to be home for the next couple days to supervise some contractors.  Since my job will be to watch the paint to dry, I'll have plenty of time to do a bunch more.  Hoping this will go well.  I picked up the wood (walnut) to make the sticks out of.  Also have to figure out how to make the metal findings such as the D-ring to hold the bottom together and allow Amy to tie to her belt.  Also have to figure out how to latch it close when hanging on her belt.

Hopefully more to come...

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

FortuneRose

wow!  That is looking amazing!  You'll show the finished project, right?  I would love to pick up something like this, but I think I would quickly get frustrated.
LLVW

Drac

Well, after sitting for two 14 hour days I got the lace part done -

Onward to the sticks.

Jim

Coch

Rhys Coch

Rani Zemirah

I'm completely lost as to how the actual... tying(?) is done.  It's absolutely lovely so far, though! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

HOLY CRAP
:o
Iam in total and complete awe
that is beyond amazing and fascinating
If you made a video of you working I could probably watch it for ages.

Where did you learn to do such amazing work??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

iain robb

I agree -- fascinating, amazing ...

Well done!

Drac

THanks all.  It looks fancy but it is very basic grounds (fillers) and fans (black area).

Quote from: Auryn on March 16, 2012, 05:44:31 AM
Where did you learn to do such amazing work??

I was shown how to do the torchon ground (most basic move) at the Ren Fair in KCK making a small (2"x1") favor.

Check out http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/index.htm

It is where I got the pattern and is one of the best sites for learning.  Better than most books I have.

Jim

amy

Wow.  that is really beautiful.  The pattern is fantastic and yes... you must have some real patience.   Great work  I am really looking forward to seeing the final finished piece.     

Anna Iram

I remember your earlier thread. So glad you were able to work out the bugs and finish your project. Beautiful work. Really great site! I've always been fascinated by this craft but had little idea how it was done.

My thoughts on how to carry the fan: It's so beautiful and seems so delicate. Perhaps a silk fan cover would be nice to protect it at faire. The cover could hang from the belt and the fan could be slipped in and out easily for use.

Muffin

Wow!!! That is fantastic!! Bravo!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Drac

Quote from: Anna Iram on March 16, 2012, 08:26:33 AMMy thoughts on how to carry the fan: It's so beautiful and seems so delicate. Perhaps a silk fan cover would be nice to protect it at faire. The cover could hang from the belt and the fan could be slipped in and out easily for use.

I like the idea.  Do up a sleeve with a little blackwork and should be ready to go.

Jim

Drac

Well, the sticks didn't go as planned.  First was that at 1/8" they were way to think.  Stacked up were about 4" thick.  Bit hefty.  I thought I would thin them down once they were shaped or at least that was the plan. 

To quote Space Quest "and it exploded"  As I was chopping off the extra material it must have gotten caught because one second I'm slowly cutting downward the next it look like a Pirates of the Carribean battle scene!

I ordered a set that hopefully will be here Friday.  Also got the fabric in for you suggestion for the carrying bag. 

Also starting the next project.  A lace border for a handkerchief.  If all goes well it should also be white with black tourchan fans

Jim

Drac

Got the sticks in.  Here is it laid out on the bird's eye maple with the myrtle burl above -

Amy will make the choice since it is her fan but we have 3 choices -

1 bird's eye

2 myrtle burl

3 keep both and do another fan  ;D

Jim

Rani Zemirah

I would love to see some close-ups of that, with a section showing how the sticks are in there...

Oh, and btw... it's lovely!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede