News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance Festival... grr!

Started by Bahlien, June 23, 2008, 03:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnJack

As for the pirate thing, Jack is actually pretty wild and fantastical, even for a pirate of the 18th century.  Jack's clothing is a mish-mash of styles from 1650-ish to 1790-ish, and I'm fairly sure that no one in the period ever did their hair like that.  It's totally impossible to place the Pirates of the Caribbean films in history anyway, as they include places like Port Royal (as mentioned above) which was destroyed in 1692, and Tortuga, which was taken over by the French Navy in (I think) the 1680's.  So we've got a pirate (who, if he is from the "Golden Age of Piracy" would have lived between 1680 and 1720 ish) wearing clothes as late period in some cases as the American Revolution walking around in places that were gone by the end of the 17th century.  Talk about a mix up.  It's kinda' like the Princess Bride: it's not really meant to be set in a specific year in history, just to have the general feel.

Which is precisely what our festival does. :)

Incidentally, I agree with everything Lady DeLaney has posted on the subject.  VERY accurate and well thought out!

On the accuracy note, I don't think our festival is really about that.  Decencey is one thing (some people really need to learn that less is not always more), but accuracy is entirely another.

I've always said that we should forget this whole "Larkspurshire of England in the year 15-blankety-blank" bullpuckey, and instead play as if our shire were located in one of the realms of Faery, where time flows differently (for those of you confused by my use of the term "Faery," think Narnia).  In faery it may still be the renaissance, while in our world it's the Silicone Era.  That's why at any given time could have King Arthur, Robin Hood, William Shakespear, The Three Musketeers, and Jack Sparrow all together in the same place.  As well as the fairies and unicorns, etc.  It also somewhat explains the random Stormtroopers, not to mention Mr. Joe Average in his cargo shorts and baseball cap.

As for personal dedication to historical accuracy, my mantra has always been: be as historical as you want to be.  I say this because not everyone finds historical research fun, but there are many who do, and we can all agree that we love the "atmosphere."  As long as a person makes an attempt to look "historical-ish" it probably shouldn't be frowned upon too greatly.

Though I should perhaps ammend that statement by saying that I always encourage historical research in costuming.  You may find out you like it more than you thought ;)

So there's my two pence.  Or make that four.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Mistress Charlotte

If I were to choose a form of garb other than my townfolk working class artist.... I would pick something big and bouncy that swings from side to side when I walk, velvety soft feeling and lots of sparkly things all over it!! 

Hows that sound?!
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Godric Myrddin

But then I always say a Knight is a Knight ... no matter what Galaxy, now or along time ago ;D
"The 9 most terrifying words in the English language are:
'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Well said and HUZZAH to you CapnJack
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: CapnJack on June 26, 2008, 09:46:28 PM
  It's kinda' like the Princess Bride: it's not really meant to be set in a specific year in history, just to have the general feel.

well said.

it's a show.  it needs to be just HA enough for the audience to be able to suspend their belief in reality and be absorbed into the mood.  pounding to hard on the HA aspect is like going to a movie and repeating "that could never happen in real life".... or going to a disney park and saying "there is no such thing as a 7' tall mouse in pants"   it's a show.  it is ment to capture and inspire the audience imagination, not to teach history.

if it were ment to be truly HA, we'd call it a reinactment instead of a festival.

~Adam
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: CapnJack on June 26, 2008, 09:46:28 PM

Incidentally, I agree with everything Lady DeLaney has posted on the subject.  VERY accurate and well thought out!

BTW I love how you spelled my name. it gives me that sort of "Frenchness" to me. I might as well be french as English, I wear a French Hood. Hum anyway to change my profile with out changing anything else?
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on June 27, 2008, 10:15:53 AM

if it were ment to be truly HA, we'd call it a reinactment instead of a festival.

Hear, hear!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Francisco Paula

I think when i t comes to being HA going to the faire its what you feel you will have the most fun as. Cause to be honest it does bring the kid out in some of us.

As for the pirates i do love some of the outfits i see but damn where they truly that bright. I do love my pirate outfit but i also know i have taken stuff from several centurys to make it up. But than i also like to dress down as i came one day as Capt. Jack put it, my cabin boy outfit. With pirates got to remember when looking for how they dress to look at the typical sailor or fisherman of the time. Cause not everyone was a career pirate some where sailors hard on ther luck trying to change it or just a fisherman that had a bad season and trying to make some money for his family to live on.

Lady DeLaney since the kids thought you where the queen have fun with that. A good suggestion is always point them to where the royal pavilian is cause if the queen isn't there they always have some one that can tell them where she is or when she will be back. But play a visiting royal, go to like usa toys pick up something that is cheap and easy to carry and hand it out to them. This will always give the kids a smile.

I know with me i enjoy being stopped for photos or just for a kid to pet my coyote face bag (yes i do get stopped alot for just that). Now on the photos i seem to always be with Blushing so not sure its me or her, cause she is so damn beautiful.

Francisco Paula Portuguese Pirate for hire

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Oh yes I did do just that, pointed them to the direction of the pavilion. And I did try to have fun, and will continue to if stopped again.
"The Metal Maiden"

Mischief Snicklebritches

"Now on the photos i seem to always be with Blushing so not sure its me or her, cause she is so damn beautiful."---That was so adorable Sir Garath. Big brownie points for that :D

I agree with Cap'n Jack. Well said. However, there are other fairs, take TRF for example, they take 8 weeks, the time of our entire run, for rehearsals. They actually have like acting classes, classes to learn the kings language ect. True, they are a considerably larger fair, but that shouldn't matter as far as HA is concerned.
Im not saying that we should in any way have eight weeks of rehearsals, because I would kill someone, and they really arent necessary, as we dont have any scripted acts other than the front gate show and the joust. Even then, its only the king and queen. But, I was just trying to say, that there are some faires out there that do take the time and effort to be more HA than others.
For now however, I am perfectly content with being a fantasy faire. And Cap'n, I truely like the idea of not having the Shire called Larkspurshire of England in 15-blahbitty-blah. I think your idea is brilliant. Its just a shame that probably none of the PTB would care to hear it. :(
How do I know I haven't missed it?!...what if it WAS the chicken!

Francisco Paula

Thank you Lady Remi....i wasn't trying for brownie points just stating the truth. Don't get me wrong i'm a good looking guy but most people overlook that when you are as big as me. Now miss blushing i got introduced to her last year by Lady Arndt and Sean Danials. I came back the next weekend asked her out and she found the time for me we went out and i have not regreted it since. She is one of the best things that has happened to me in ages.

Damn on the rehearsels that would drive me nuts and its not to far of a drive already. But even cast some adlib is a good thing but we are all there to have fun.

See you all tomorrow and hang in there.

Francisco Paula Portuguese Pirate for hire