News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Texarkana Renaissance Faire - OCT 5-7, 2012

Started by dbaldock, March 21, 2012, 12:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

Saw this mentioned somewhere on Facebook this morning.

There's a NEW Renaissance Faire in Texarkana, AR this year.

Web Site -Texarkana Renaissance Faire - OCT 5-7, 2012

And, yes - I do realize this is also opening weekend of TRF.  But, for people who live closer to Texarkana and don't usually drive down to TRF, it could be a fun option.

They've already got some good Entertainment lined up, including Abby Green (who has also performed solo, and in the group Istanpitta with Al Cofrin, at TRF).

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Merlin the Elder

I thought this had been mentioned before out here, perhaps by the Craigmeister, but maybe not.  I did see something about it at least a couple months back or more. This would certainly be a more viable option for me since it's only a couple hours away.

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

It does sound interesting, and likely within range for us, as well.  However, this year, at least, we will be vending at a Con here in OKC, so we'll have to miss it's inaugural year.  I wish them much success, though!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

This does look like something worth checking out this fall. 
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

dbaldock

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 21, 2012, 04:53:03 AM
I thought this had been mentioned before out here, perhaps by the Craigmeister, but maybe not.  I did see something about it at least a couple months back or more. This would certainly be a more viable option for me since it's only a couple hours away.

I did do a forum-wide search for "Texarkana", before starting this new thread.

So, if it was mentioned somewhere here, the forum search engine didn't see it...

Maybe you saw it in a list of Ren Faires on someone's web site, rather than here on RenFest.com?

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Merlin the Elder

Quite possible, David. I certainly wasn't chastising anyone!  :D

When I looked at what their website was showing a few months ago (or whenever it was—I think it was for some Halloween thing they were also advertising), I was less than inspired by what they were touting at the time. It looks much more promising now. I would certainly love to see this succeed and grow.

I'm kind of gun-shy from a horrible attempt several years ago to start a faire in North Little Rock. I wouldn't want to drive 2 hours for a similar disaster.  From the promo material I saw for Texarkana, they're already leaps and bounds beyond the NLR attempt.

dbaldock

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 21, 2012, 12:40:06 PM
I'm kind of gun-shy from a horrible attempt several years ago to start a faire in North Little Rock. I wouldn't want to drive 2 hours for a similar disaster.  From the promo material I saw for Texarkana, they're already leaps and bounds beyond the NLR attempt.

Do you mean:
Tudor Rose Renaissance Faire
8112 Greer Rd.
Sherwood, AR 72120-1550

I also remember reading about one several years ago that was planned in SW Little Rock, but could never verify that it actually happened, or the specific location.

brier patch charlie

Ya I remember the Tudor event that never made it!, But I do hope this in Texarkana will kick off, a four hour drive sure beats 8 or 10 hour dive.  I hope some one will post more on the forum about it.
Charles Coleman

Merlin the Elder

No. That one's actual physical location was in Wrightsville, southeast of Little Rock, rather than in Sherwood (northeast of town...I'm guessing that's the ).  I think they actually held that one for a year. I first heard about it a couple years afterwards. There was no kind of advertising.

The one I'm referring to, though, was held in Riverfront Park in North Little Rock. To be honest, I have no clue as to the year, it was that memorable. We paid our $5 each or whatever, stepped through the flood-wall gates to behold...nothing much at all. There was a couple of food vendors in those carnival-type food wagons, maybe a craft vendor or two, and a joust demonstration, I think. We spent 20 minutes or so there, and left, having seen everything...  It may have been an SCA-hosted event, but it wasn't much.

brier patch charlie

Merlin, the Turdor Fair that was going to be held and never did was in Wrightsville, but they never had it. I tryed to call them afew times to get more info but was able to get any one. I was really lookig forward to it I was living just south of there in Redfield at the time.
Charles Coleman

Merlin the Elder

That explains the lack of advertising...or would it be the other way around?

dbaldock

I suppose you could check with the Texarkana Ren Faire folks, to see if they have any fliers you could hand out or post around where you live and work.

Craigmeister

I guess I must have posted a blurb about Texarkana's Renfest on Facebook under my "Meister's Realm" site.  I know I put it on my website.  (Fortunately, these days there are so many Renfaires to keep up w/ in this part of the country.  Huzzah!)  Margaret Rivera from Fayetteville's Ren/Fantasy Faire of the Ozarks was my informant about it.  If it weren't so far of a drive for me, I would go this fall.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

DonaCatalina

Well, we were thinking about day tripping; but now it looks like we will have to drive down to Madisonville to make a doggie swap.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Lady Margarita

I have known about the Texarkansas Faire and I did let Craigmeister know about so Merlin you probably did hear it from him. 
I wish them good luck on their new fair.  I was hoping to be able to attend as a vendor but unfortunately with the Renaissance and Fantasy Faire of the Ozarks just a month away, I have to forgo going to Texarkana.  It will be nice to see one in southern Arkansas and one in northern Arkansas.  Now just to get a good one going here in Central Arkansas!

Merlin, I remember the one that you were talking about that they did hold in North Little Rock.  They held it twice.  The first one they didn't even advertise for locial vendors or performers and brought in vendors and performers from out of state.  I think they had a total of 5 to 10 vendors.   The 2nd time they did search for local vendors, because I was one. But once again they didn't have a whole lot of vendors or performances and  it wasn't advertised very well. 

The Tudor Rose fair never got off the ground.  And they also tried to get one started in Pine Bluff, that never got off the ground either. 

One thing I have learned in being the general manager of the Renaissance and Fantasy Faire of the Ozarks and being part of the board of directors for  Three Crones and a Pirate Productions Company (the production company that is putting on the faire) is that it takes alot of hard work and planning.  You just can't sit back and let things come to you.  I work full time teaching and as I am walking out the doors of the school I am already checking my phone for calls, messages, and emails concerning the faire.  I don't stop until 10 in the evening working on fair stuff.  The other thing to get fairs going is funding.  There is funding out there but you have to look for it.  And it is best if you can get the city officials where your holding the fair to back you.  RFFO was lucky that Fayetteville's mayor came to the fair and saw its potential.  We now have his support.  But the big, big thing is advertising.    My sister spent a whole day just searching for the newspapers, radio stations, tv stations, and magazines in and around Arkansas so that we can send press releases to them about RFFO. We are also working on seeing if a few will let us come in and talk about the faire and offer a few free tickets (viewers/listeners could call in to win them by answering a renaissance trivia question). 

Sorry for the rambling....

FinnAndFiona

Y'all come on down!

We're having a great time; the faire is small but mighty :)

And the entertainment is top-notch, if I do say so myself...
Finn & Fiona: Everything from banshees to bagpipe, stories, songs, and dance from the Celtic Nations.

Bob of the Lake

Sorry, I'm too far away and can't make it but best wishes for a fine run! I believe Daniel Greenwolf is performing and you are right, he--and I'm sure the rest of the entertainment--is top notch! All the best to the Texarkana Renaissance Faire--Huzzah!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

DonaCatalina

It looks like the weather will be perfect for full kit garb.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Craigmeister

How was the Renfaire?  Does anyone have pix to view?  I'm interested in seeing the grounds as well as seeing how many patrons garbed up for this new event.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Merlin the Elder

We had considered day-tripping the event, but had some issues to confront here.  I would have much rather been in Texarkana...

Zardoz

Quote from: Craigmeister on October 13, 2012, 10:31:43 PM
How was the Renfaire?  Does anyone have pix to view?  I'm interested in seeing the grounds as well as seeing how many patrons garbed up for this new event.

What he said! How did it go?
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

dbaldock

Daniel GreenWolf, an entertainer who drove down from Ansonia, CT to perform at the Faire, was impressed with the new event, and complimentary in the comments on his Facebook page -
https://www.facebook.com/danielgreenwolf?ref=ts&fref=ts