News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire: Should it be Fantasy or Historically Accurate or a Mix?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 23, 2008, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

What do you think?

Should faires be fantasy, historically accurate or a mix?

Should there be fantastical creatures such as elves, fairies, nymphs, dwarves, vampires, hobbits, santa claus, stormtroopers and etc allowed (on staff or by playtrons)?

My personal opinion is it should be as historically accurate as possible and fantastical creatures should not be allowed either on staff or by playtrons.  I wouldn't go to a fantasy faire or one with any fantastical creatures on staff...and wouldn't go to any faire where a lot of playtrons were dressing as fantastical creatures.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Marietta Graziella

I can see this becoming a heated topic! 

To Fantasy or Reality?  Hmmm...   I'll choose.... BOTH!!!

Since we obviously can't be completely accurate (we have clean water, sanitary cooking conditions, freedom of disease, etc), why not allow people to enjoy a tiny taste of history in whatever way makes them happy?  My children wouldn't stand still in HA clothing but are thrilled with the Elven Ranger and Jester garb they designed and I sewed. 

A close replica of HA is an SCA event.  They work hard at recreating history as much as realistically possible.  A perfect place for your HA fix and guaranteed Storm Trooper free!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Funny, this same thread is taking place in the CoRF forum right now.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

renren

IMHO, I believe the fantasy elements add *so much* fun to the whole thing!
Besides, as a playtron, I don't think I'd appreciate being told how to dress.

If H/A is what you're looking for, that's more the re-enactors, or SCA's arenas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking either one,cuz they sound like fun, too!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Malcolm

Elves, fairies, nymphs, dwarves, vampires, and Santa Claus were very real during the Renaissance, as were brownies, trolls, and ogres. Careful where your modern mind takes you.
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

Whistler Fred

I tend to prefer the historically accurate fairs.  When done well, they can be both entertaining and educational.

However, I don't mind a mixture of historical and fantasy.  Perhaps a "best case scenario" IMHO would be a fair that had both available - fairies, trolls and dragons for the fantasy crowd combined with historical content such as a accurately court or military display for those who are or could be interested.

And, PLEASE, have a certain amount of respect for the time period setting.  If it's a straight fantasy fair it may be okay to combine pirates and King Arthur, but if you set your fair in Medieval times or during the reign of King Henry the Whatever, try to at least keep your fantasies consistant with those appropriate to their times.  Otherwise, the fair reinforces the idea the the past is a contextless mess of knights, musketeers, Caesar's and Victorian Queens.  As Issac Asimov once put it (and probably better than my paraphrase), everything doesn't need to be educational, but things shouldn't mis-educate.  

My pet peeve, at least.  Differing opinions are welcome.
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Lady Renee Buchanan

Faire is my escape from reality, not a history lesson for me.  I'm not really a pirate or a noblewoman or a wench or even Scottish, but my garb is all of these things, and I'm happy when I wear it.

I like anything that makes me smile, and if I see fairies, elves, trolls, or whatever, walking around, I'll get a big grin on my face and get happier than ever.  I don't think I'd ever wear that kind of garb, but it's fun to see what others come up with.  It's just part of what makes faire fun for me. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

anne of oaktower

I'm torn on that one....

Faire is, as Lady Renee put it, my escape.  I go there to have a good time, not to have a history lesson.  The history lessons I may learn while there are an added bonus.  I have recently joined the local SCA shire to learn the historical part of it all, faire is strictly for having fun.

That said, however, I do have a wee bit of an issue when the fantasy part of it gets too far out there.  I really don't care to see any anime-type characters, and one year I saw what appeared to be some sort of satanic-demon-swamp monster things (it was not Halloween weekend) that were pretty creepy and definitely out of place.  But, I'm not a ren-snob so, as long as they're just there to have fun like the rest of us, they can play, too.

It's all about getting out of the mundane world!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

AnyuBoo

My own personal preference is a mix of both.  I like seeing HA garb (or ones that at least look HA), but I also enjoy the elves, fairies, wizards, and pirates.  I'm not too sure I'd enjoy seeing some weird Anime creature (except on the Day of Wrong, perhaps) but like someone else mentioned, if that's what makes them happy...
My own character and my husband's even more so, throw historical accuracy right out the window.
And I, like renren, would not enjoy being told what I can or cannot wear.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

daylight

Well I agree with ann of oaktower. It should be fun. It lets us all excape to another world if even for a short time.  I like however the fantsay side of things if it is not over done or in bad taste. As a performer in the renfairs  I have to be H/A so my garb has to match with the time of the renfairs. (Henry 5 or Henery 8 or what ever) and when I get the chance to stroll the fairs  it is nice to see what others come up with, you know what there idea of the fair is. they come in garb and have fun and that`s what it is about. In this mundane world there is not always people laughing that you can hear but at the renfairs the smiles and laughter is so present that it in itself bring a smile to my face, and it makes it all worth it. ;D

Tipsy Gypsy

Barring Santa Claus and Stormtroopers, those creatures were real- at least, to the people who lived then. Actually, Santa Claus- Nicholas of Myra- was real too, he just lived and died long before the Renaissance... I think historical accuracy is a wonderful thing, especially in educational acts and demonstrations. But, I enjoy the fantasy side too, and I'd hate to see it banned from my home faire. 'Sides, I'd have to chuck a lot of garb if that happened :) !
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Taffy Saltwater

Unless you are a cast member, paying customers have the right to dress for faire in the manner that best suits them, within the limits of the law.  If one wishes to be H/A, hey - go for it.  But the same thing for fairies, goths, Hollywood pirates, Loli's, etc.  

For those wishing an all H/A event, then there are other venues.
Sveethot!

Trillium

Well, I have to ask..
What faires do you go to that meet these ideals??
Most faires have some fantasy element mixed in, even most people's idea of a pirate is not h/a.  And you certainly cannot control what playtrons wear.
Got faerie dust?

Lairde Guardn

I don't care if the pubs are HA or Fantasy......I like them.....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Blushing

I'll drink to that!

One of my favorite quotes: "Renaissance faires are an opportunity to wear funny clothing and run amok" ... I wish I knew who to give credit to!

I got started at a faire where workers are required to take faire-sponsored classes on language, custom, history and countless other subjects.  Paint colors for booths and other structures have to be approved, as does garb worn by anyone working the faire.  All that DOES help create a certain atmosphere at faire, but that faire still has fairies, pirates, and they let peasants wear shoes, and tweaks other details in order to be a (hopefully successful) business.

The guilds have much stricter rules on garb and the making of items.  And many friends I know who are active in the SCA makes weapons and garb by hand - using historical methods.  They enjoy it.

And I don't have a problem with either.  If playing with history and reality gives me a place to play, then so be it.

If stitching an entire courtly wardrobe or crafting fine metal weaponry by hand makes someone happy, I wish them all the fun in the world.

What I'm really trying to say is that there is a place for everyone.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~