News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mirror, Mirror

Started by Rowan MacD, March 29, 2012, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Critics are panning it as boring, but with costumes like this..

I'd go to see it in a minute.

More info here:

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2012/03/27/mirror-mirror-movie-costumes/
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyFae

I'm hoping to bring my 6 year old out to see this!  More for me as an excuse to see it, but she'll love it just because it's Snow White.  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Lavender

I seldom trust the critics.  I have laughed my tush off at movies they hated.
IWG #3440
Landshark #19

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lavender on March 29, 2012, 09:08:08 PM
I seldom trust the critics.  I have laughed my tush off at movies they hated.
I thought Burton's Alice in Wonderland was seriously boring, but I liked the imagery.  I'll be seeing this too.
IWG wench #3139 

DonaCatalina

oh yes, must see costumes.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Drac

Getting tickets for Sat night  ;D

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Auryn

I want to see it mainly for the costumes
hence I will wait for the dvd.
The more previews I see the less interesting it seems to be.

Snow White and the Huntsman on the other hand looks fantastic in every aspect

Those of you who  go see Mirror Mirror let us know how it is
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Drac

I won't depend to much on my opinion.  I have childish and bad taste in literature.  My wife and I sum up the classic grail of fantasy, the Lord of the Rings, as -

They came
They sang
He tripped
They won

Jim

Drac

Well just got home.

The fashions were varied and many.  From Louis XVI court to Ren Pirate Wench.

The movie was great.  Very sarcastic and not Disney.  This Snow White did not run/run/run/pose here.  Lot of topless shots in this movie, of the guys.

Jim

LadyFae

AuntieGiggles and I went yesterday with my eldest daughter (6 1/2 years old) and we all enjoyed it.  I loved the vast array of costume styles.  I LOVED that this was a VERY different "Snow White" story.  The movie was cute.  I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD but it isn't a movie I'll rave about to my friends.  My daughter loved it, of course.  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rowan MacD

I'm going to try to make it this week!
IWG wench #3139 

Zardoz

I saw this today. It is a visually fantastic film, and not just the costumes. I expected nothing less from Tarsem Singh, who also directed Immortals, The Cell, and The Fall, all great looking and interesting movies.
But for all of Singh's visual skills, sometimes he seems to have some problems with storytelling, and there's a little of that going on in Mirror Mirror, it sort of hunts for focus between the Queen and Snow a little, and sometimes the visuals overwhelm the actors. But overall I found it to be a pretty funny and original take on the Snow White tale.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Craigmeister

My wife & I saw this last weekend.  It was good!  It had just enough swordplay, dwarves (not the typical ones from a Snow White story) & magic to keep me entertained.  Snow White is played by none other than Phil Collins' daughter.  You can see the resemblance around her eyes.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.