News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why do you like about RenFaire? I've never been

Started by curiousgeorge, April 02, 2012, 02:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiousgeorge

Hello!
I am a student taking an Anthropology100 course at a private college in Pennsylvania.  I was interested in the culture of the Renaissance Faire, seeing that I've never been to one, so I decided to do an ethnography on Renaissance workers and participants.  I was wondering if anyone would like to share some information by answering 15 questions listed below!  My thesis focuses on the workers at RenFaire, but anyone is free to answer them.  My apologies for the formal tone of the questions.

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? 
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?

Thank you very much if you have participated in this, it will surely help me write my final draft of the ethnography.

Merlin the Elder

Fascinating! I should try to talk one of our students into doing such a thesis... glad to assist!

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. - I consider myself a playtron, which in Rennie jargon falls between a patron and a player.
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? My home faire is based on 1533 England - Henry VIII & Anne Boleyn
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state) Scarborough Renaissance Faire, Waxahachie (Ellis County), Texas **also Sherwood Forest Faire (a medieval, rather than Renaissance faire) in McDade, TX (near Austin), Oklahoma RF in Muskogee **
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain. I believe you'll find faires have components of each in various mixes. Smaller faires may have a bit less of the commercial aspect than the larger ones.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? My primary goal is one of leisure, including camaraderie with like-minded people, entertainment, and a sort of mental detoxification from everyday life.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? Walking about, visiting with people, watching others, enjoying shows, sipping some ale...
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? At our home faire, the distinction between costumed volunteers and employees is difficult to discern. With few exceptions, I can't tell you who is paid cast and who isn't.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? I do not participate in SCA. I don't believe that SCA and most faires are on the same "track," and may actual hold some animosity toward each other.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.) I play no official role, but due to a nickname acquired early in my career in computer-related fields, I normally play and dress the role of a wizard.
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

Hello!
I am a student taking an Anthropology100 course at a private college in Pennsylvania.  I was interested in the culture of the Renaissance Faire, seeing that I've never been to one, so I decided to do an ethnography on Renaissance workers and participants.  I was wondering if anyone would like to share some information by answering 15 questions listed below!  My thesis focuses on the workers at RenFaire, but anyone is free to answer them.  My apologies for the formal tone of the questions.

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.
I am a patron
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)
Scarborough, Ellis County, Texas, TRF Montgomery County, Texas.
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.
Mostly commercial/recreational. But they do host educational demonstration and sponsor school history days at the fair in the off times.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? 
Food, wine camaraderie, costuming, not necessarily in that order.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?
Talking to friends and watching performances, some shopping.
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?
Mostly it depends on the individual; some people who provide their own costumes pay even more attention to detail.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?
Yes and Yes.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)
I play the character of a Spanish Marquesa.

Thank you very much if you have participated in this, it will surely help me write my final draft of the ethnography.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

Some how I overlooked English 202-and I get to take it this semester. I'm using the renaissance as my theme also..
1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.  Playron (see Merlins definition)-I tried the paid employee route and it just ruined the experience for me.  I volunteer, or I pay gate and attend in garb (costume).
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? Usually Elizabethan or Tudor dynasty(1485-coronation of Henry VII-1603 death of Elizabeth I)
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)-Nebraska Renaissance Faire-Sarpy county Nebraska and Des Moines Renaissance faire-Polk county, Ia.
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?   If so, please explain.I don't know of very many that are held strictly for charity, if so, they are small.  The larger faires are definately commercial, otherwise-they are both educational and recreational
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?   Sewing is a Hobby so I guess my garb qualifies.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? Visiting and
catching up with friends.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?  Very little. Many fairs hold volunteers to the same dress code as paid employees.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?   I dabbled in the SCA for one or two years.  Renaissance faires and SCA are like Apples and Oranges.  The SCA is in many ways is less historically accurate than a Renaissance fair, but has stricter rules for 'play'. As far as I can tell, they have their own 'world' and own version of acceptable history which seems to happen somewhere in the 12th century.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.) Celtic Lady, Tudor lady or Elizabethan noble, whatever I feel like.  My wenching days are behind me  ;)
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Amyj

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. I'm a playton (I pay to play...Pay entrance fee but come in garb)
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? 16th Century France (heavy on early 16th century - Tudor)
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)  Greater St Louis Renaissance Faire - St. Louis, MO  & Kansas City Renaissance Faire - Kansas City, MO
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.  It's For-Profit with a large emphasis on education I believe
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  To NOT get sunburned...otherwise I have no specific goal to complete on any given day.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?  Socializing and watching shows
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? None I can see.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?  I'm aware of them, but do not participate.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)  I have no specific role, I come garbed in anything from fantasy to peasant to nobility...depending on my mood.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

LadyStitch

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. Platron2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state) Scarborough, Ellis County, Texas, TRF Montgomery County, Texas.

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain. It is commercial that is for sure. They do offer educational opportunities but it is up to the individual to seek them out.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  As most of them have said part of it is socializing. Over time we have made friends with various performers, so we love to go to those shows.  We have even made friends with vendors.  We love to see what they come up with week to week faire to faire. It is an opportunity to leave the mundane world behind and be with like minded people.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? Catching up with friends, seeing our favorite shows, seeing what's new.
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between  volunteers and employees? not especially. Many times the performers or workers clothing must reflect if they are heavy lifting and such they can't wear  some of the intricate garb playtrons do, unless they are actors.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? yes I was aware.  Some faire's I have been to have a presences but over time the view of sca and the owners have become very different.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)  My character really is just that of first mate on a pirate ship, or as a fantasy fairy depending on mood and weather.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Fireflicker

I wish I got to write about such interesting things at school! Good luck!

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. I'm a volunteer, or guest performer, but probably still fall into the playtron category.
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? 1598, Tudor Renaissance
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state) Colorado Renaissance Festival, Larkspur, CO
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain. I've been to festivals that have a large educational section (TRF, ARF) but for the most part it's commercial.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? Not so much - see friends and entertain people.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? I spend most of my time acting as a street performer - playing with the adults and kids, creeping around... (:
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? At my festival other than the highest royalty, the volunteers and playtrons seem to be better dressed since they care about the ambiance of the festival more - the employees are held to a standard but it's pretty low.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? I'm aware of them, but my character and the SCA aren't really compatible.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.) I play as a dragon, Fireflicker, complete with dragonic garb. I was knighted at a few festivals, but I don't think that I have a title. (:

I'm a volunteer now but I have worked for the festival before in a different capacity, so from that job (I worked in an archery booth) I'll say a few things about the other questions.
I enjoyed working at the festival since it was so different from any other job I could have gotten. I'll say that I enjoyed if the the festival, although my coworkers were... very unique individuals, to put it kindly. I wasn't a theater buff but that job didn't call for it. I didn't work with volunteers, and I would or wouldn't take a higher paying job depending on what the new job was/what I did rather than what it would pay.

Coch

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.
Last year was my first year as a  playtron. I pay to enter and am there almost every day it is open from opening to close.
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? late 1530's
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)Oklahoma Renaissance Festival, Muskogee, Ok.
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.
I am sure it is commercial mainly for self preservation. A lot of the money goes back into the Faire for growth. I have talked to the owner a few times and I know he loves hosting the event. He can be seen wandering through the crowd watching and smiling.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? 
My goal is to escape the mundane life. To visit  a time of addressing people with respect and kindness. A time when you step aside to let a lady pass, or bow to those of proper title. I love it when a child comes up to have his/her picture taken with me, and maybe I can pass on a little bit of magic in a hurried world 
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?
Mainly people watching, and visiting friends
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?
Not to me
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?
I am aware, but do not participate
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)
I dress as a knight. Chainmaille, surcoat and weaponry.
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?
Rhys Coch

BubbleWright

1. Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. I am a playtron, ie, I pay my way in but come in garb.
2. What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? The PaRenFaire is set in Elizabethan times.
3. Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state) The PaRenFaire is my home Faire but I attend many other smaller weekend Faires in the Mid-Atlantic region.
4. Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of? If so, please explain. The particular goal of the PaRenFaire is to make money by providing entertainment, food, and drink. It was originally started to attract people to Mount Hope Winery.
5. When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? My goal at Faire is to enjoy the ambiance and entertainment with those whom I consider my Faire family, both cast and playtrons.See question #9 for displaying my hobby of bubble making.
6. How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? I obtain a season pass every year and visit every Saturday, taking in various shows, just sitting and watching the parade of characters pass by, and chatting with friends.
7. Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? While those on cast are appropriately dressed according to their character, even the work force is dressed according to their station. The playtrons, on the other hand, run the gamut of simple, modest costume to painstakingly authentic garb that makes the cast jealous.
8. Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? Yes, and, no.
9. What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire? Explain please. (garb, title, societal role, etc.) Until last year, I was the Bubble Wright, a tinker who created a Renaissance Bubble Machine employing technology of the time (bellows and simple lever) to blow bubbles for the amusement of the nipperkin. Bubbles were made in the time period, as documented in the painting "Children's Games"  (1560) by Pieter Bruegel the Elder which shows the amusements of children with one of the lads blowing bubbles. I retired as Bubble Wright owing to health problems.
10. - 15. Not Applicable
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

The Rabbi

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. I am a Rennie/playtron Volunteer and a Fair Owner
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?My fair represents no paticular time period as we are a Renaissance/Fantasy Fair with an Irish Flair I volunteer at Festival of the Dragon which is also a like spirited fair and Morf which is 1500's Ireland This year I get to be a Playtron at the Ozark Renaissance Fantasy Fair
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in?Spirit of Magic Mayes County Oklahoma
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.I would like to say once again all 3 catagories fit it is nice to pay the bills but after that not overly concerned about making money; I truly hope that we are both entertaining and manage to sneak in a bit of education as well.
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  To have fun and relax even while working
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?Visiting with the best people in the world Rennies(yes I am a bit prejudice there)
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?I hope not as I hold everyone to the same standard and treat them with the same respect
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?Yes I am aware but do not participate
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)I am the Keeper of Magic half Irish half scott and wear my Kilt proudly
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.If I do not enjoy it then there is no need to do it.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?See answer to 10
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.I am an entertainer I am but a humble servant to my audiance
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.No
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.No disrespect but volunteers put out a 110% they are there because they love it paid employees and performers can become disallusioned and it can become a regular job(this is not always the case)
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?KEEP MY REN JOB

My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Zardoz

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.
Playtron=garbed patron
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
TRF-1530s , Sherwood Forest Faire-1190s
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)
Sherwood Forest-Bastrop co. Texas, TRF-Montgomery co. Texas
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.  They are commercial enterprizes, but very entertaining and they sneak in a bit of education 
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  Just to have fun and see some acts that I like
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?wandering beetween the bars, food, and stages
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? Not that I notice
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? Former member, and No
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)
Kilt-centric fantasy garb, I don't play a character. my societal role seems to be keeping the beer wenches busy
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lady Gryphon

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. As Merlin has Said, I am a playtron.  I come in garb, pay my way in and enjoy acting the part for the enjoyment of those around me.  I have been mistake as cast a number of times.
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? from Henry VIII through Elizabeth 1
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)
TEX Renaissance Faire  Houston TX
Sherwood Forrest,Renaissance Festival, Austin TX Area
Scarborough Renaissance, Waxahachie (Ellis County), Texas
Bay Area Renaissance Festival Tampa, FL
Louisiana Renaissance Festival, Hammond, LA

Mobile Renaissance Faire  Mobile AL
Pensacola Renaissance Faire Pensacola Fl
Pensacola Pirate Fest Pensacola, FL

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.
They all have Commercial goals.  Some are more forward about it than other. IF they didn't make money they would close down. 

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?
My goal is to relax, have fun and enjoy the faire.  I love shopping, seeing the shows and talking with friends and making new ones.  I am also a Photographer, and capturing the moments I find is another one of my past times at faire.

As I said above, talking with friends, seeing some of the shows and taking lots of photo's
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?

Since those that come in garb want to be part of the "shoe"  it is sometimes hard to tell those who are paid or volunteer,  from those of us who just come to play

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?
Yes I am Aware of SCA, but personally I don't think my character would be welcome by them. 

I have a number of personnas I play at faire, from Lady Gryphon the wife of a Dark Knight, to Black Rose Rachel a Pirate Wench. 

10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
I am  on cast the the Pensacola Renaissance Fair, Mobile Renaissance Faire, and the new Pensacola Pirate Fest, I love doing my Pirate wench with my crew.

11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at Renaissance Faire?
Yes, watching the children react to our two captains if a delight

12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
No, in High School I was told I could not act.  But I was involved as stage manager and other behind the scenes activities.

13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
I am part of the Blackhearted Rogues and the Blackhearted Wenches in Mobile.

14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
We are all volunteers, and we wouldn't be there if we didn't want to be.  We give everything we can to our troupe when we are in garb

15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?
I wouldn't take a job that I could work with my crew on the weekends we need to.  You can put a price on the expression we get when we are together.

I hope you post your thesis when you have it finished, I for one would love to read it.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

Captain Teague

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. No D (All of the Above)? :)
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? Disney. Disney transcends all time periods. :P
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in?
Again, no D button? And some are online that I participate in, but that's still... :)
TEX
Renaissance Faire  Houston TX
Sherwood Forrest,Renaissance Festival, Austin TX Area
Scarborough Renaissance, Waxahachie (Ellis County), Texas

Bay Area Renaissance Festival Tampa, FL
Louisiana Renaissance Festival, Hammond, LA
Mobile Renaissance Faire  Mobile AL
Pensacola Renaissance Faire Pensacola Fl
Pensacola Pirate Fest Pensacola, FL

They all have Commercial goals.  Some are more forward about it than other. IF they didn't make money they would close down. It is afterall a business.

Education is offered at many locations, also many having a school day when there are busloads brought in for educational displays and lectures scavenger hunts and other classe offered in addition to the many and various educational displays and classes that are normally present all faire.

Recreational just comes along afterward

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? D!!!
My goal is to relax, have fun and enjoy the faire.  I love shopping, seeing the shows and talking with friends and making new ones. When I am working however, all customers and cast alike certainly get their doubloons worth. ;)

As I said above, talking with friends, seeing some of the shows and getting lots of photos TAKEN. :D

Since those that come in garb want to be part of the "shoe"  it is sometimes hard to tell those who are paid or volunteer,  from those of us who just come to play. In general, those who go through the immense effort to look the part will certainly play the part. >:)

Yes I am Aware of SCA, but personally I don't think my character would be welcome by them.  They do great work at reenactments, but my personaes are a bit too much poetic license for their agendas.

I have a number of personnas I play at faire, from Lord Dragon the Dark Knight, an Elfen Lord a Green Pirate to recently Captain Teague. Jack Sparrows father from POTC 3 and 4. 

I am  on cast the the Pensacola Renaissance Fair, Mobile Renaissance Faire, and the new Pensacola Pirate Fest as Teague with my crew.

11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at Renaissance Faire?
Yes, watching the children AND Adults react to our curious antics is a delight

Is junior high lead and several years of faire attendance in full garb count for much?  ;D
I am part of the Blackhearted Rogues and the Blackhearted Wenches in Mobile.

We are all volunteers, and we wouldn't be there if we didn't want to be.  We give everything we can to our troupe when we are in garb

I wouldn't take a job so that I could not work with my crew on the weekends we need to.  You can't put a price on the expression we get when we are together.

I hope you post your thesis when you have it finished, I for one would love to read it.

Me too. Me TOO.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Depends entirely on the faire. I've been all three, at different faires I go to.

2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
Renaissance, ish. Honestly, aynthing that tries to be close works.

3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state) Mayfaire and Michigan Renaissance Festival, both in Michigan. Been and worked in haandful of others, but those are the onyl currently active ones.

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain. Fun, and making money.

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? Fun, and making money. Usually both at the same time.

6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? Fun, and making money. No really, i spend most of my time talking to everyone I can drawing them out, trying to get them to either watch my show, or throw a friend in jail.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? What does sartorial mean?

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? Yes and no.

9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)Captain Cornelius H Duckman, a privateer in service to Her Majesty, whichever Majesty it might happen to be at the time. I'm an entertainer at some faires, working a show with my wife, involving lots of comedy, and a little bit of swordplay. At MiRF, while still Captain Duckman (pronounced dukemen), I work as one of her Majestys jailers, arresting anyone someone will pay me three dollars to. Garb is whatever garb i happen to put on that day.

10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain. Yes. It's a lot of fun

11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire? Yes.

12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain. ...I am an actor. I put on a persona, and portray it. also, y'know, entertainer, I actually perform a show on stage.

13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain. Not really. We're a show, not a troupe.

14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain. Volunteers have a tendency to be more  enthusiastic, while paid artists are a little more professional

15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job? ...hahahaha. Renfaire. I wouldn't lose out ont he renfaire experience for a mere fifty cents, not when the job i have now lets me be full time and work faire

Manwariel

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. Patron

2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? The Renaissance. ;)

3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? The Georgia Renaisance Festival

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain. I don't know.

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete? I like to take lots of pictures of the jousts.

6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? Walking around or sitting looking at costumes, browsing through the shops, watching shows, and taking photographs.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? I don't know.

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? I'm aware of it but do not participate.

9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please. I just dress in whatever costume I feel like making/wearing. I don't get into character or pay much attention to historical accuracy.