News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why do you like about RenFaire? I've never been

Started by curiousgeorge, April 02, 2012, 02:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Michael Geare

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.

I am a participant {volunteer employee with an troupe}

2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?

Currently Early Reign of Elizabeth I

3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)

The Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire (RPFS)
Age of Chivalry - Las Vegas Renaissance Festival
Big Bear Valley Renaissance Faire
Northern California Renaissance Faire

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.

The ones I attend/work are both commercial and non-profit recreational/educational in nature.  Depending on the particular event venue.

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?

Since I am part of an entertainment guild {troupe}, my goal at faire is to entertain and interact out in the streets and perform sword duels  to get the audience the best performance and experience they can have.  All while having a good time myself.

6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?

Same answer as #5

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?

It would depend on the venue itself.  Sometimes it is hard to tell the customers from the employees while other times the difference is night and day.

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?

I am aware of them but do not participate myself.  I do have friends who do participate in the SCA.

9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)

I play Sir Michael Geare, a historical character who is a knight of the gentry class.  Therefore, my costume reflects that of my station.

10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.

I enjoy and look forward to working it every season.  I have been doing it for 10 years.  The experience and comradery of my fellow entertainers is beyond compare

11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at Renaissance Faire?
Indeed I do.  I enjoy the interaction.  Especially when you touch that one person inside and make their entire day.

12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.

I have done some theater in school but I would not consider myself an actor by any means.  At the most perhaps an amateur actor but the term actor would be loosely used.

13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
I am part of the Gentlemen Adventurers.  We do sword demonstrations and duels out in the streets.

14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.

It all depends on the person.  Some paid employees work harder than the volunteers and visversa.

15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?

The majority of us jokingly say we would do this full time for a living but in reality, it is seriously a lot of work.  My body in particular hates me after certain faire days.

I hope this helps you and gives you a bit of insight.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

curiousgeorge

Thank you everyone for responding!  Your responses have given me plenty of information regarding my thesis, and I now have a definite interest in attending a faire around here next Fall.

Nighthawk

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.

I am a playtron, which as was mentioned earlier, means that I'm not on cast officially, but play along. It adds to the fun for me, and helps with the atmosphere for others.

I attend the Colorado faire, and I believe it is right around the mid 1500's.

I attend and participate in the Colorado Renaissance Festival, the Colorado Tartan Day Festival, the Ft. Lupton Heritage Days festival (which is a Mountain Man era event), the Elizabeth Celtic Festival, the Yellowstone Highland Games and Scottish Festival, the Jackson Hole Highland Games, the Colorado Scottish Festival and Highland Games, and the Edgewater Celtic Harvest Festival. The Colorado Renaissance Festival is the festival that I go to for the sheer joy of it. Don't get me wrong- I love the others as well, or I wouldn't be doing them- but the ren fest is the only one that I don't officially work for, so I can participate as much or as little as I want, I can see whatever shows and performances I want, etc.

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.

It seems that the Ren fest here has a commercial goal. It's a theme park, in all reality, and what's the point of any theme park? To make money! The real difference between the faire and other theme parks is the level of participation of the attendants. A lot of us are friends who enjoy hanging out at the faire.

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?

Yes I do- blatant self promotion. I am  leather worker who makes his living in the historical reenactment community. What better place to show off my wares? I don't actually work at the faire, so I don't go there waving my arms around and getting attention, but I do wear the leather goods that I make- from my belt to my shoes, etc, and when people ask me questions, I don't hesitate to answer.

I spend it with my friends and family. We tend to like to see the comedy shows.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and
employees?

...yes and no... Employees/cast members often seem to be slightly more elegant, in my experience, almost as if they have better or easier access to garb than the rest of us or something! (Please note- silly tone is implied here.) On a serious note, I have noticed that employees tend to look more like nobles than the rest of us. That is not at all a hard, fast rule- just a very general observation.

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?

Yes I am. The SCA are strange people... I'm in a living history group called the Renaissance Scots Living History Association, and we have managed to make local SCA fighters mad at us. They don't play with us any more...

9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)

My role, as a playtron, is that of a mid 1600's Scottish Highland warrior, which is the closest thing to a knight that the Highlanders had at that point in time. I would in fact like to branch out and adopt a different persona, but I have so much time and money invested in my Scots persona that I really can't justify starting another. Historical reenactment ain't cheap! It's a labor of love, and I have put a lot of time and effort into it. If you look at my avatar, as a matter of fact, that is the shield that I made for my persona. A shield of that quality in and of itself can sell for as much as $600, and we won't get into how much period correct clothing costs!!

Hope my answers were at least a little helpful! Good luck with the project. I have a festival to pack for- first of the season- so I'm off now!

Jack Daw at Work

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.  I am a garbed customer - some refer to this as a "playtron".
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?  1300 to 1600
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)  The Texas Renaissance Festival, Magnolia, TX
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.  Commercial - the purpose is to turn a buck while maintaining safety - weapons are required to be "peace-tied".
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  Gather with as many playtrons as I can and enjoy the day!  This is the closest thing to escapism as I can get without traveling away from the U.S.  I have a high-sctress job, and leaving the 21st Century wipes away my frustrations.  My period clothing goal is to be historically accurate without sacrificing comfort.  
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?  Eating, drinking, walking the grounds, and laughing.  Some effort is spent picking up an item or two to add to my wardrobe.
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?  I'm neither so I don't know.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?  I'm aware, but have never participated.  Although Ren Fests are not geared for historical accuracy, I strive for it in my period wear. The SCA doesn't care about historical accuracy.  
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)I'm not a worker, but I strive for historical accuracy in my garb/period wear.  My period wear is that of a Scottish Highlander around the 1580s.
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?

Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

BLAKDUKE

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.

I am both performer and playtron.  I am the King at the Gulf Coast Renne Faire in Mobile and at Pensacola.  I have
     been King at the TnRF in Tenn.  also at the old keys faire.  My character is a fictional character woven around the
     time after Queen Mary and before QE I.   I have had to concoct quite a story to cover what does not show up in the
     history books.   As a playton I have fashion a swashbuckling swordsman, although as I have aged a lot less swash and
     more buckling of the knees and such.

2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?

As King it is mostly Henry VIII and elizebeathen style, as well as my playtron character.

3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)

outside of the GCRF that I perform in, I visit Atlanta, some of the Florida faires.  I have also visited Sterling and Tuxedo
     in New York.  As well as Mount Hope in Pa, and the Pittsburgh Faire, St Louis, Louisiana, North Carolina, Ocean Springs,
     Mississippi, Ohio faire, and the Maryland faire when it was in Columbia Maryland.

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.

Most that I have attended are commercial enterprises.

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?

Whether performing  or visiting, my goal is to have as much fun as I can and talk to as many people as possible.

6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?

For the most part I would walk around and visit the shops, and sit at the pub.  I used to partcipate in Fencing if the
    faire had a corral, but so few have them now, and my knees no longer co-operate.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?

In some cases yes.

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?

Yes I am aware and no I do not participate
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)

As a Playtron I am Sir ALLYN Duke of Salisbury ere-wise know as the BALDUKE.  I have various items of garb.

10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.

Yes, as King I get to do a lot of things that no on else does

11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?

Refer back to #10

12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.

Not necessarily either, I would not do well as an actor, memorising line etc. Most of my day is done in ad-lib

13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
       no

14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.

I do but not to closely so I really would not notice.

15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?

Since I do not work at the faire for alot of money, no.  I already have an outside job, so it would not matter.

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Craigmeister

Quote from: curiousgeorge on April 02, 2012, 02:29:14 PM
Hello!
I am a student taking an Anthropology100 course at a private college in Pennsylvania.  I was interested in the culture of the Renaissance Faire, seeing that I've never been to one, so I decided to do an ethnography on Renaissance workers and participants.  I was wondering if anyone would like to share some information by answering 15 questions listed below!  My thesis focuses on the workers at RenFaire, but anyone is free to answer them.  My apologies for the formal tone of the questions.

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.  PATRON
2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (RENAISSANCE & FANTASY FAIRE OF THE OZARKS, WASHINGTON COUNTY, ARKANSAS)
4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.  RECREATIONAL NOW WITH FOCUS MOVING TO EDUCATIONAL
5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  TO INFORM VISITORS, VENDORS & PERFORMERS OF OTHER RENFAIRES IN THE REGION. MY ORIGINAL GOAL WAS TO ESCAPE REALITY.
6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?  TALKING TO VISITORS OR PEOPLE I KNOW.
7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?  NO SIR.
8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?  I'M AWARE OF IT BUT HAVE NOT PARTICIPATED THEREIN.
9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.)  MY GARB IS THAT OF AN ENGLISH ARCHER.  HOWEVER, I ONLY GET TO SHOOT MY BOW AT ABOUT HALF OF THE FAIRES I ATTEND.
10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?

Thank you very much if you have participated in this, it will surely help me write my final draft of the ethnography.

Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Orphena

Hello!
I am a student taking an Anthropology100 course at a private college in Pennsylvania.  I was interested in the culture of the Renaissance Faire, seeing that I've never been to one, so I decided to do an ethnography on Renaissance workers and participants.  I was wondering if anyone would like to share some information by answering 15 questions listed below!  My thesis focuses on the workers at RenFaire, but anyone is free to answer them.  My apologies for the formal tone of the questions.

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire. I am both a patron, and an employee

2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates? I particpate in many events, ranging from Medieval (1100s - 1400s), through Tudor (Early 1500s), Elizabethan (Late 1500s), and Pirate (1550 - 1800) My favourite is Elizabethan, which we do not offer at our local faire. We have a Tudor based Faire, and a Pirate festival that we are on cast for.

3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state) I sign contract with Faires in Time, which runs a 1 weekend Renaissance Festival, followed by a 1 weekend Pirate Festival in Milton, Ontario (CANADA). We also offer 2 edicational days in the Medieval Era for school kids. My husband and I make at least one trip into the Northern states each summer to be patrons at a larger festival.

Our faire exists for numerous goals. It is run by those who love faire, but who still wish to make ends meet. We offer a blend of entertainment and education, as well as support tourism. We partner with Country Heritage Park to help promote their facilities as well.

For me, it is about the clothing, and the persona. I love the historical clothes, the layers, the dignity and gracefullness of it all. I enjoy the mannerisms, being called "M'lady", and treated with chivalry. I also love inspiring people to be creative, and interacting with people to the extent that I know I just made someone's day!

6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire? When I am working, I spend my time doing a variety of stage shows, interspersed with "in-character" interactions with those who attend. When I am visiting, we do a lot of walking, drinking in the ambience, catching a few stage shows, and attempting to interact with cast and visitors alike.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees? Many of the employees of the cast wear costumes designed by our costume mistress. Cast members get specific costume pieces designed for specific characters, volunteers get the leavings or older pieces. My husband and I are allowed to wear our own garb, which has been approved by the costume mistress. Some volunteers also wear their own garb, but it depends on their role - mostly our volunteers perform roles such as running games or serving food, so tend to be more peasant class.

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization? We are aware, but do not participate at this time.

9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please.  (garb, title, societal role, etc.) We are actors, on cast. My husband and I usually play lower nobility at our home faire, often one of the higher ranking in the village (Mayor and Mayor's wife), but not strictly of the court. When we visit other faires, we are often mistaken for members of the nobility - which is our preference. We enjoy the clothing and the illusion of having funds at our disposal. Mostly the clothing, though!

10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain. I adore working at the renaissance festival (and the pirate festival). I would LOVE a chance to play the Queen, but I enjoy the interactions with people and the opportunity to "play" all day long!

11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire? Yes, I very much enjoy acting, if I was doing anything else, I would not enjoy it as much, but even being at faire is a good thing. My husband has tried running games and vending, but acting is our preference. 

12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain. Not a theatre buff, but an actor, yes. We actually got into being on cast as a way to spend more time at the festival. Many of those we act with on a yearly basis have multiple projects they act in, but for us, it is limited to festivals.

13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain. No, we are on the house cast.

14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain. Yes, our faire is always seeking more volunteers. I find the main difference between volunteers and paid actors is that the paid actors seem to step up and do more than expected, while many of our volunteers do only as much is required. That is not ALL volunteers, we have several dedicated volunteers that work very hard, but perhaps not all volunteers are given enough training / prep work. They show up, day of, ready to do, whereas the actors have been immersed in the culture for several weeks during rehearsals etc.

15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job? Keep my job at Ren - it is a creative release that I would miss sorely! I DO have a "normal" job that keeps the funds coming in Mon - Fri, but if there was ever a position available where I could do Faire 24 - 7 - 365, I would take it!

Thank you very much if you have participated in this, it will surely help me write my final draft of the ethnography.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

LadyAsh

I am a playtron

It depends on the particular faire, though some emulate somewhere between 1300-1600, and some have fantasy themes to them.

The Midsummer Fantasy Renaissance Faire, in Ansonia, CT. I used to participate in the Southern Connecticut Renaissance Faire, but it seems to be on hold for now. I would love to participate in more though.

It depends on the faire. I believe most faires have a commercial, and recreational goal for them. Some support causes. I know the Enfield Renaissance Festival is raising charity for Kids First. MFRF recently donated some money to the Against the Malaria Foundation.

My goals at a renaissance faire, are just to have fun, and work on developing a faire persona throughout the day. I would love to play act with other playtrons/the cast!

I typically walk around the grounds, enjoying the atmosphere the faire provides. I also like to watch shows that interest me, listen to the music around faire, browse the vendors, etc.

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?
I think it depends on the faire.

I am aware of the organization, however, I do not partake in it.

At the moment, I do not have a defining role. I am still working on my faire persona, although, I would love to play a curious, yet somewhat naive pirate lass, or merchant's daugher who wishes for adventure, and excitement.

10.    [workers only] Do you enjoy working at the Renaissance Faire?  Please explain.
11.   [workers only] Do you enjoy your job at RenFaire?
12.    [workers only] Would you consider yourself a theater buff/actor?  Please explain.
13.   [workers only] Are you employed through any kind of troupe?  If so, please explain.
14.   [workers only] Do you work with any volunteers?  If so, does the behavior or job of the volunteers differ from those that are paid?  If so,  please explain.
15.   [workers only] If you were to get a job that paid $0.50 more per hour, would you keep your job at RenFaire or take the higher paying job?
"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

SirRichardBear

Hello!

Patron

My home faire is middle Tudor King Henry and Queen Anna,  But I regulary attend faires set in Medieval (1100s - 1400s), and late Renaissance (1600s - 1700s)

All the Texas based faires, plus I've been to Pittsburg renaissance a few times and to the Great Lakes fantasy faire.

My home faire beside of course the commerical goal which all faires msut have to stay in operation does some serious educational programs.

A big part for me is skill display I help run and praticipate in the faire's Archery tournament plus am part of one of the parade groups.

Attending the history shows, marching in the parade shooting in the archery tournament, dancing, drinking and listening to music.

Not that I've really noticed.

Yes and No

At my home faire Kinght Officer in the Queens Own Highlander and GrandMaster of the LongBow to the Scottish Court.   Which means I help org the Scottish parade unit, provide escord to the scottish court ladies, instruct in the use of the longbow.  When visiting other faires Welsh master bowman and mercenary.

I will answer these as a Platron which is somewhere between a someone on cast paid or not and just a person visiting faire this is for my home fair only
Yes or I'd not be there 8 weeks plus and extra day for the three day weekend 12 hours ever weekend.

Yes I enjoy running the achery tournament teaching people the proper way to handle a long bow helping to teach the dance classes. And marching in parade

Actor and history buff,  Actor because I am playing a characer if one of my own creation and history buff because the character is based on real people of the period.

Yes and No I'm with one of the largest platron groups but we are all volunteers none of us are on cast.

The majority of cast at my home faire are volunteers the main difference between them and playtrons is that are require places and task while playtrons do not.

NA for me I paid them.

Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Ser Niall

Not sure if you're still looking for answers to this survey, but here ya go....

1.   Please identify yourself as a customer/patron, employee of RenFaire via contract (acting/dance/stunt troupe), or employee of RenFaire.
Playtron (paying customer attending in costume)

2.   What is the time period that the Renaissance Faire emulates?
Reign of Queen Elizabeth I

3.   Which Renaissance Faire do you typically participate in? (county, state)
Michigan Renaissance Faire.  I've been to the smaller ones around the state as well, Silver Leaf, Mid-Michigan, etc.

4.   Does the Renaissance Faire have a particular goal (commercial, recreational, educational) you're aware of?  If so, please explain.
Mostly commercial, the faire owners want to sell tickets, food, and ale.  There are also many artists at the faire selling renaissance-themed art, jewelry, costumes, etc.  There is an educational aspect, as some of these artists give demonstrations of their craft (glass blowing, metalworking, etc).   It is also educational listening to the period music, and seeing people dressed in historically accurate costume.

5.   When you're at the Renaissance Faire, do you have a particular goal (game, food, drink, skill or hobby to display) to complete?  I mostly go for leisure, to take a mental break from the real world and experience a bit of history/fantasy.  Get together with friends, shop, watch shows, enjoy some ale or wine.

6.   How do you typically spend your time at the Renaissance Faire?
Shopping, eating, drinking, pretending we're in the 1600's  8)

7.   Are there noticeable differences in sartorial choices between volunteers and employees?
Nope, although I'm not sure the MI ren fest has volunteers, I think they're all payed employees.

8.   Are you aware of the organization the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) and/or do you participate in this organization?
Yes I am aware of the SCA, no I don't participate.

9.   What is your role, job, or craft that you play in the Renaissance Faire?  Explain please. (garb, title, societal role, etc.)
I don't have a specific role I give myself.  It's mostly pretty vague, like peasant, noble, etc.  I go to enjoy myself and pretend I'm in another place, attending in costume helps stir the imagination.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Celtic_Fae

Playtron (as explained earlier), patron (non-garbed visitor), employee (non-contract), and former owner/producer (never again, so help me!)

I have to echo earlier answers: 1300's-late 1600's, depending on the faire you go to.

As of 2010: Hoggetowne, Lady of the Lakes, and Bay Area Renaissance Festival in Florida. Now, I'm quasi-retired from visits because I'm so busy with other things, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STERLING RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL in Sterling, NY. <3

All festivals have to turn a profit (commercial) to stay in business. Some are more blatant about this than others. Some focus heavily on the educational aspect, from making sure their cast are properly trained for the time to restrictions placed on vendors (proper booths and wares for the time period, vendors speaking and garbed correctly) to education-based demonstrations. All faires, in my opinion, are there for the recreation of the patrons. Otherwise, why would they show up?

I normally try to catch at least one show of all my favorite acts and then one or two new shows. The rest of the time, it depends on the day and who else is wandering the faire grounds. I'm never disappointed if I want to meet someone new and strike up a conversation!

Empty Hats, Bob DaVinci, Emrys Fleet, visiting vendor friends, interacting with others  ;D

If people are, in any way, directly working/volunteering for the faire, they usually have some in-character designation (rosettes, badges, colored ribbons etc) for identification. Volunteers for independent shows and vendors vary from looking equally as professionally put-together as the festival employees to taking liberties for comfort and taste.

I've heard of them and seen them at some faires I've visited, but that's the extent.

Mundane (non-garbed) visitor, these days. I have personas and garb that range from boot-licking peasant to spunky merchant girl to refined noble and consort.

I did and I didn't. It was fun in the beginning, but by the end it was apparent that I was much happier doing faire "for the fun of it".

See above.

Theater buff? Yes. But without that relentless drive to really commit and improve into something better.

No, I worked independently for different performers and vendors in a support role.

At the faires I worked for, many if not all of the workers were volunteers. Without pay, they still showed incredible heart and talent in all kinds of weather. You have to have a real passion for it!