News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pirate Garb

Started by Lord Caleb, April 09, 2012, 05:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Caleb

Where's the best place to purchase pirate garb? I need to start a pirate's outfit. I know about Midnight Breeze Designs but wanted to see what else is out there.
Home Festival: Carolina Renaissance Festival
Name: Josh aka Lord Caleb of Guilford

Rowan MacD

There are a number of places-It you are looking for ready to wear the following two are for complete outfits:
The Tudor Shoppe
http://www.tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SS-SCDL&Category_Code=MGS

Medieval Collectibles
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-2323-buccaneer-outfit.aspx

Both of the above are not costumes as much as clothing.  They look good and wear very well. You won't look like you walked out of a rental shop or worse, a Halloween boutique.

Consider custom work if you are serious about playing pirate and don't mind spending the money.  There are a few folks on the forums that do very nice work, and you will have a one of a kind outfit.
    Expect to spend about as much as you would on a high end suit.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lord Caleb

Thanks, Rowen! I 'preciate the info.
Home Festival: Carolina Renaissance Festival
Name: Josh aka Lord Caleb of Guilford

Seamus Ex Machina

Hands down, the best place for great looking, durable garb would be at www.flyingcanoetraders.com.  Good people, fast service. 
Legendary Hellraiser

RumbaRue

Jas Townsend catalog has really great choices especially for sailor pants and shirts.

Unfortunately I don't have the url for them, but I'm sure someone around here does!

Good luck!

Rumba Rue
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

scarletnyx

What about -female- pirate garb? I am not a big fan of the "striped corset", bustling dress female pirate, but I love the frock coat/some sort of bare armed, more grungy pirate ( Gotta show off my ink!). I'm seeing alot of stuff for men, but I think in my ( albeit not really too deep ) searching, I have only found one coat that looks like it was made for women. Do I just have to suck it up and get a custom piece done? Which I totally would...Mmm, red and gold pirate coat...
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Celtic Lady

I found this really neat finger watch that would be great for the pirate that wants to be able to check the time. This is the link for it: http://www.cellularfactory.com/gift/WATCH_&_CLOCK/4/45290/761843/

I have ordered from this company and so far have not had any problems.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: scarletnyx on June 02, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
What about -female- pirate garb? I am not a big fan of the "striped corset", bustling dress female pirate, but I love the frock coat/some sort of bare armed, more grungy pirate ( Gotta show off my ink!). I'm seeing alot of stuff for men, but I think in my ( albeit not really too deep ) searching, I have only found one coat that looks like it was made for women. Do I just have to suck it up and get a custom piece done? Which I totally would...Mmm, red and gold pirate coat...

Very Merry Seamstress does a woman's pirate coat that is lovely.  And Heather is a member of this forum.  I've gotten a cape from her, fantastic workmanship and excellent customer service.

Also Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, also does beautiful custom work.  You won't look like anyone else, because each of her designs is different for the wearer.

There is also a company called Dress Like a Pirate.  I've never bought anything from them, but I've seen their website and it looks good.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Amy of York

Dress like a Pirate has some good  choices  for pirate garb. I have brought things  from them  for my  pirate character I protray at faire and have been very pleased.
Also Potomac Leather   makes some good acessories.

On a peronal note..not trying to bad mouth anyone.. but  I have had problems in the pass with Midnight Breeze Designs
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

tiberiusflynn

Quote from: Seamus Ex Machina on April 12, 2012, 07:44:20 PM
Hands down, the best place for great looking, durable garb would be at www.flyingcanoetraders.com.  Good people, fast service. 
Has their service changed recently?

I ordered a sailors bag from them, it took several months and I received a reply from someone stating he was their US representative and all US orders would go through him. I responded and told him what I Was ordering, and I received a reply several months later asking what it was I wanted.

I stopped replying and have never ordered from them since.

I still have a pair of their drop front breeches though, very good quality and hard wearing gear.

James Townsend is some good product, good fast service as well.

I buy some of my stuff custom through Twinrosedesigns.com. Their pirate shirt is amazing, great customer service, etc.

Also, yordreemcreations.com.

Great jack sparrow stuff, and great pirate stuff in general.