News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Staying Cool...

Started by Adriana Rose, June 24, 2008, 01:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francisco Paula

Okay thanks for sending my mind into the gutter......yes yes i know it dosn't take much

Francisco Paula Portuguese Pirate for hire........I do dishes

a_chromatic_sea

Yep, up at my pub on Sunday we had our first Pass-er Out-er of the season... bigger man, just kind went down like a felled tree while all of the women he was with started screaming hysterically. Got him some water from the back (which we'd finally - and luckily!! - just gotten about fifteen minutes earlier), some ice cubes in a plastic sleeve my Pepsi cups go in, and we were lucky enough to have one of the trash guys up there with a radio to call the EMTs. Usually, we're kind of S.O.L. when someone passes out up at the top... we have no water usually, and no radio in any of the booths nearby. Thank goodness all the pieces were in place for that poor man!

Water is super important. So is eating food with protein in it so that you've got some energy to keep goin' all day long, especially for workers. I find that eating a sausage or piece of chicken every threeish hours (the Puke and Snot guys cook for us! We don't really get breaks since there's only two of us at the pub, and one can serve beer) really helps with the energy and keeps me from crashing.

I want one of those bodice chillers... those things are so neat!!

Shoni the Shilent

Did anyone see that way too drunk guy on saturday? I saw him out at the front gate around 430 or so. I kinda laughed. I think he was trying too hard to get hydrated...

ANd I really want a bodice chiller, everyone is talking about one, I might as well join in.

Tanda

Quote from: Shoni the Shilent on July 02, 2008, 12:33:50 AM
Did anyone see that way too drunk guy on saturday? I saw him out at the front gate around 430 or so. I kinda laughed. I think he was trying too hard to get hydrated...

ANd I really want a bodice chiller, everyone is talking about one, I might as well join in.

Which drunk guy? I had four at second joust and there were probably 6 or so on the lesser evil side at last joust...as usual. :) You need better descriptions for drunk guys...like "The drunk guy that had a $40 mug in one hand and small child in the other"

And I really want a man with cold hands....I mean, a bodice chiller.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Aislynn

Quote from: Shoni the Shilent on July 02, 2008, 12:33:50 AM

Yeah we were up on the parapet watching him out with the cops by the trash can. It was our amusement for the day,  but then they moved him where we couldn't see him anymore.

Blushing

I'm surprised more people don't have trouble at the top of the Puke and Snot hill ... but I'm so glad it worked out!

I read yesterday that you can actually get heatstroke when it's quite cool - the example was someone going down on 43 degree day but the humidity waas in the 90 percent range. The trick is to stay hydrated but also replenish minerals and such like with sports drinks.

of bodice chillers ...
this link was posted in another thread: http://www.medievalproductions.com/special/index.html
the one I have is heavy glass - and MUCH larger than the glass ones sold down towards the joust field
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Zoë

I think the general response of "which drunk guy?" pretty much sums up just about any weekend at fest, haha.  We get them so often at our booth.

The very first day of the season we had a girl pass out right on our counter and start convulsing for a few seconds.  Apparently some guy had just found her collapsed on the side of our booth and brought her up to ask for some water and ice, which we gladly supplied.  He said it was heat stroke, but I took one look at the girl and suspected a diabetic insulin shock, as the poor thing was white as a sheet and completely unresponsive.  But the guy didn't know her and nobody knew where her parents were, and it was impossible to ask her as she was pretty much in shock.  The guy laid her out on our side counter and the EMTs came up with their cart and took her away after a few minutes, I have no idea what happened to her or what was wrong.  It was pretty scary for a few minutes though.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Adriana Rose

The office had put the numbers to call in case of Emergancy in one of the news letters....

They said to call the office or Dave Walker... my phone is MIA at the moment other wise I would pm you those numbers A cromatic Sea..

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I remember that. Toki and I were walking near there when the cart came by with her all secured on the board. We thought maybe heat stroke, but if she had been drinking, it sure doesn't help.

I for one cannot understand how and why people drink so much at faire. it's not cheap and it's not safe. It's never safe to drink large amounts and this past weekend Toki and I passed a dozen people easily that we could smell the booze on them.

Toki even thought about having a Hard Lemonade last week and I told him no, knowing how we both felt last year after 1 beer and some food with bread. Wrap that up with heat and even more heat from being in garb, and you have a bad thing waiting to happen.

People never learn I guess.

Drink Water and lots of it find shade and lucky for me I have a feather fan that helps SOOOOOOO much. It really moves a ton of air, and Imade it so it's even better :)
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

Quote from: Lady de Laney on July 02, 2008, 11:47:29 AM
I remember that. Toki and I were walking near there when the cart came by with her all secured on the board. We thought maybe heat stroke, but if she had been drinking, it sure doesn't help.

I'm pretty sure that particular girl wasn't drinking; she looked like she was maybe 16 years old at best.  Too much of a youngin' to be boozing it up.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Mistress Charlotte

Quote from: Adriana Rose on July 02, 2008, 11:42:41 AM
The office had put the numbers to call in case of Emergancy in one of the news letters....

They said to call the office or Dave Walker... my phone is MIA at the moment other wise I would pm you those numbers A cromatic Sea..

I have these numbers if you need them.  I'm not sure about how the PTB would feel if I posted them for the entire world to see.  Especially Dave's personal contact number....  Ren mail me and I will give them to you.
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Adriana Rose

Thats what I was trying to say... ( i think I am on too many forums... all have differnt lingo!)

my phone is MIA so I dont have any numbers! I really hope that I left it at the shop...

Al-Nimer

Ok, so we already know to drink plenty of H2O & gatorade.  (After all, we are from TX, and have already dealt with 95 deg heat with high humidity at faire on Mem. Day weekend of Scarby.  I think the heat index was about 105 every day.)

Anyway, we are planning on being at CoRF July 12-13 (Huzzah!), and we are wondering, what's the faire policy about bringing in bottled H2O?  Surely they won't deny a paying customer the right to carry a few bottles so we don't pass out?  We plan on buying lots of food and other stuff.  We also have spray fans for the kids to carry, since they're less tolerant of the heat.

TIA
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Zoë

You'd think after working there so long I'd know the rules!  I am not sure myself.  There are signs that say you can't bring in outside food, but I see people with their own bottles all the time.  The only thing is, once you're in and you've drank all your H2O, the only way to refill it is to buy more, we don't have fountains or anything. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Aislynn

Quote from: Al-Nimer on July 03, 2008, 11:13:00 PM
Ok, so we already know to drink plenty of H2O & gatorade.  (After all, we are from TX, and have already dealt with 95 deg heat with high humidity at faire on Mem. Day weekend of Scarby.  I think the heat index was about 105 every day.)

Anyway, we are planning on being at CoRF July 12-13 (Huzzah!), and we are wondering, what's the faire policy about bringing in bottled H2O?  Surely they won't deny a paying customer the right to carry a few bottles so we don't pass out?  We plan on buying lots of food and other stuff.  We also have spray fans for the kids to carry, since they're less tolerant of the heat.

TIA

You can bring in sealed water bottles, but no gatorade or colored drinks.