News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finally!!!!

Started by LadyFireKissed, April 25, 2012, 09:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyFireKissed

I am so excited, I am finally going to be able to head over to Larkspur!!  I have wanted to go ever since I have been going to our little ones over here in Grand Junction.  After the Faire this weekend was a success, I have been bitten by the bug and hard, Now that I have a car that can make it over there, I have no excuse!  So just a question, as a newbie over there, what things should I know?  as far as things or acts to make sure to see, helpfull tips (wear sunscreen, drink water... things like that?)?  Anyway, I really hope to see some of the people I have seen on here in person!  Thanks guys!! 

LadyFireKissed

Celtic Rune Stones

Among the most important things:

1) COMFORTABLE footwear - The shire is filled with 'ups & downs' and it takes its toll on the feet!

2) Layered garments - the weather changes from sunny to stormy, and takes an occasional trip to hail and cold so oddly in its coming that even a crystal ball can not foretell its arrival!

3) As for what to see - EVERYTHING!

Lastly, a well kept secret of our shire - opening weekend, stop at a local Wendy's and gather royal notes that allow the purchase of two tickets for the price of one. Not to fear if you do not find them there as a number of them turn up for the asking around the entrance to the kingdom... 

Enjoy! 
My life is loosely based on a true story...

Merlin the Elder

From our visit last July, I would say that the Big Cat Show is an absolute must-see, as is Celtic Legacy.  If you have never seen Arsene, you should check out his show.  As hard as we tried, we didn't see everything. It was rather warm when we went, and it took a toll on us.

The three suggestions of Celtic Rune Stones are dead on from our experience, but the third item is nearly impossible!

Definitely stay hydrated and wear sunscreen.  We had a great time and hope you do as well.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Norfolk

The Baroness and I look very much forward to welcoming you to Larkspurshire, LadyFireKissed!  

We also echo Celtic Rune Stone's sage advice.  To it, we would add the following:
-  Drink more water and use more sunscreen than you think you need.
-  Don't be shy!    Playtrons and cast members alike welcome being approached by fellow enthusiasts.  (The Baroness and I will be sorely disappointed if you do not introduce yourself!)
-  Definitely take time to see Puke and Snot, Johnnie Fox, the Big Cat Show and the last joust of the day.
-  Have fun!!!!
Just call me "Your Grace"

LadyFireKissed

Thank you so much everyone, I am going to have to take a list and make a game plan for catching shows. :D  I now have a friend going with me also.  I will keep my eyes open for everyone, I hope I dont miss anyone! I think I may have to get a RF pin soon anyway, seeing as I dont have one.  You guys will see me with the green bodice, brown skirt and black hat with a chainmail band.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I would add in The Washing Well Wenches. I will say they are by far the MOST entertaining of the comedy acts. Agreed Big Cat show is a MUST and bring a camera if a point and shoot.

Sunscreen, more sunscreen and even more sunscreen, people fry easily

Drink Tons of liquid (Iced Tea, Lemonade and water) then drink 3X more Do not over do the alcohol as you will feel it especially when it is hot

Comfy shoes as Runestone Said. this fair IS uphill ever all the way until you get to the lowest  point, then it is up hill and that is no joke.

You can keep cold liquids in the car and drink it

Drink Pickle juice if you like pickles... trust me a little does help

Take breaks in shady spots

Did we mention this faire is uphill all the way? Well it is

Be prepared for 40 degree temps, expect 100+ degree temps

Rain, Hail, lightning and yes even Snow do Happen as well as tornado's not overly far away but no tornado's on faire site yet... Unless some silly wizard decides to play around with his spells `Looks at Merlin`

Get there no latter than 9am otherwise you will be parking in the back forty and may have to face more traffic that you might like

And most of all Have Fun and play, we love people that play

"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

LadyFireKissed

Well thanks, didn't think about leaving liquids in the car.  I wouldn't think that you could bring even a mug of water back in...  I didn't know or think about pickle juice.  I'll keep it in mind.  And dont worry, I will come prepared to play...

Zoë

Someone may correct me on this if I'm wrong, but last I was aware, you can bring in water bottles as long as they are still factory-sealed. So you could potentially bring in all your own water if you didn't mind carrying it. It would be well worth it as water on site is $2.25 a pop and there are no water fountains. The water also does not come with ice.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Lady de Laney on April 26, 2012, 09:44:37 PM...
Rain, Hail, lightning and yes even Snow do Happen as well as tornado's not overly far away but no tornado's on faire site yet... Unless some silly wizard decides to play around with his spells `Looks at Merlin`...
Hey, girl! Don't look at me! That was an accident!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LadyFireKissed

Quote from: Zoë on April 26, 2012, 11:34:37 PM
Someone may correct me on this if I'm wrong, but last I was aware, you can bring in water bottles as long as they are still factory-sealed. So you could potentially bring in all your own water if you didn't mind carrying it. It would be well worth it as water on site is $2.25 a pop and there are no water fountains. The water also does not come with ice.

Wow, thanks Zoe, that would definitly be worth it, I could keep a cooler in my car, and I could make trips back out if I need to I guess, that way I could offer to others if I needed...

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

When Toki and I go out there we fill out mugs with ice and water and they say not a thing... but then again the gate people and staff know us. BUT I cannot say that everyone could do this
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Blushing

Sounds like you're pretty well informed ... but the single most important piece of advice is to HAVE FUN.  ;D

I'll also reiterate the importance of being hydrated and keeping sun block on, but I can say that our emergency services crew is awesome.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

LordAgnew

We've had trouble bringing in more than one bottle (sealed) per person at one time.  Unless you get there pretty early, the hike to the carrriage can be decent.  They do offer a free shuttle to the west lots, though, and that would ease the trip considerably.

LadyFireKissed

I'll keep these things in mind.  Just a question, what is the pickle juice for and why does it work? ???

Norfolk

Quote from: LadyFireKissed on April 28, 2012, 08:47:05 AM
I'll keep these things in mind.  Just a question, what is the pickle juice for and why does it work? ???

Pickle juice is basically a brine, i.e., salt solution.  It "works" for exactly the same reason that gatorade and other electrolyte replacement solutions do, i.e., it replaces the water and sodium that is lost in sweat. 
Just call me "Your Grace"