News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finally!!!!

Started by LadyFireKissed, April 25, 2012, 09:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyFireKissed

I thought something like that, but I wasn't sure...

Bahlien

Try the turkey legs at least once, if you are not a vegetarian.  If you are more akin to the plants, there is a tastey artichoke dish, maccaroni on a stick.. number of other generally good foods. 

Music. I don't know if Celtic Legacy is returning but they typically turn faire into a great party with a few lively tunes.

The joust opening and closing weekends tend to be the best, they put on a great show.

The legendary puke n snot is worth a few good laughs(the first time around or two) , 'specially during election years.

If you can, stay from cannon to cannon. (10 - 6:30) It really completes the experience.
"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

LadyFireKissed

I consider myself a meataterrian, and even though I am trying to loose a few, I think for the weekends any semblance of a diet must go out the window.   ;D  Also, what is the point of me driving over if I dont stay for the entire weekend?  Gotta stay for opening and closing cannons. 

Speaking of music I really have no Renn music collection, is there some selection to choose from?

Unfortunatly I wont be there opening and closing weekends, I'll be there for Celtic weekend and music and dance weekend.

One other question, I will be  getting a hotel room, any suggestions for decent ones?

Bahlien

Well you would be in luck going those weekends as more musicians tend to be abound during them. Most of the street musicians and Celtic Legacy typically have their own cd's and the like, this is good if you like the sound the Hammer Dalcimer makes.  Can't say for sure who is going to be here this year though.

Castle Rock is the closest and there are a few hotels there that are pretty decent, from what I have heard. Though, I've not been to any, as I like to camp on the longer visits to faire!

Oh and in meatatarian case, Steak on a Stake is another good famous food at faire.
"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

Merlin the Elder

Castle Rock has some nice places that were decently priced when we were up there. Comfort Suites is where we stayed...on Castleton Court, if memory serves. There were a couple other hotels next door, and a great restaurant/brewery within walking distance that has some great brews.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Norfolk

The motel within thirty minutes of so of the festival that gets the best reviews on travel websites like Trip Adviser is the Best Western in Castle Rock.  It is less than 20 minutes from the front gate, and gets even better reviews than the Hampton Inn right next door.  It is reasonably priced, but tends to fill quickly during festival season.  Several friends of ours have stayed there and have been well pleased.  There are several eateries within walking distance, including McDonalds, Chili's, and Black Eyed Pea, and there is a grocery store less than half a mile away.
Just call me "Your Grace"

LadyFireKissed

I plan on booking asap so that I do know I have a place.  Thanks for the sugestions...

Zoë

One of my favorite dishes is to take a Steak on a Stake and place it between a folded slice of cheesy bread. (Luckily these stands are within spitting distance from one another) Instant steak sandwich. YUM. (Of course take the stake out first...I imagine that would not be so yummy.)

I too have to figure which weekends I will be able to visit this year. Being a patron for the first time (in a very long time) is going to be an odd experience...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Norfolk

Quote from: Zoë on April 30, 2012, 12:22:47 PM
Being a patron for the first time (in a very long time) is going to be an odd experience...

Not to worry, fair Zoe, the Baroness and I will endeavor to make you feel ... even more odd!   :)

Just call me "Your Grace"

LadyFireKissed

Oh this  sounds like it is going to be so much fun!  I have never even been there, but feel like I already have a family of friends, I just can't wait to meet everybody!

Radu the Gypsy

The cat show is going to be even more amazing this year.  I spoke to the Catman this past weekend, and while I'm not at liberty to share *what* cats he will be bringing (You all want to be surprised, right?), I can say he'll have a wider selection from last year, and some truly amazing cats for the show.  The wider selection of cats will also mean that each showing will likely be slightly different, as we feature different cats.  Bring your friends, bring your picture boxes, bring your little wiggly food items to feed to the kitties and keep our feeding costs down. 

-Radu the Gypsy, Professional Meat-Shield

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Baron on April 30, 2012, 10:06:16 PM
Being a patron for the first time (in a very long time) is going to be an odd experience...

Not to worry, fair Zoe, the Baroness and I will endeavor to make you feel ... even more odd!   :)

Wow! With friends like you, Baron, who needs enemas? ...
I really wish we could come back this year! I want to see the cats again! ...not so sure about the Baron, though...  ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LadyFireKissed

Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on May 01, 2012, 12:31:10 AM
The cat show is going to be even more amazing this year.  I spoke to the Catman this past weekend, and while I'm not at liberty to share *what* cats he will be bringing (You all want to be surprised, right?), I can say he'll have a wider selection from last year, and some truly amazing cats for the show.  The wider selection of cats will also mean that each showing will likely be slightly different, as we feature different cats.  Bring your friends, bring your picture boxes, bring your little wiggly food items to feed to the kitties and keep our feeding costs down. 

That sounds like fun!  Just a question, having never been there, what do you guys ask for in the way of food?  Is the show to help educate/for conservation?  Are they rescued cats?  Just curious...

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: LadyFireKissed on May 01, 2012, 07:48:58 AM
Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on May 01, 2012, 12:31:10 AM

That sounds like fun!  Just a question, having never been there, what do you guys ask for in the way of food?  Is the show to help educate/for conservation?  Are they rescued cats?  Just curious...

I was kidding about the food.  We tell the audience that we will happily take misbehaving and wiggly little food items (i.e. children) as donation.  Honestly, the cats eat steak, and eat better than the humans who attend them.

As for their source, some are members of endangered species raised in captivity so that we'll have them around a little bit longer.  Others are rescues. (Come find me on a sunday and I'll tell you about the Vet who "adopted" a mountain lion).  Still others are part of breeding programs to keep genetic diversity in the population so when their environments recover, they can be reintroduced.

However, I'll say this now, and I'll say it every show every sunday of faire (I only work sundays due to other obligations).  You can not remove the natural instincts of wild cats.  the Catman has an amazing rapport with these creatures, and I swear he can speak their language.  But if your little wiggly food item goes running in front of the stage during the show, our handler is going to be hard pressed to restrain a 250 pound cat.  That is part of why I am there, to stop kids from doing such thing, and to interpose in the very rare case that a kid gets past us.  I'm also there to stop patrons from reaching over the ropes to try and "Pet the Kitty".  People have been desensitized to danger and for some reason, though we repeat it over and over again, dont see the cats as potentially dangerous predators.

Sorry, Sore Point.  I'll stop preaching.

Honestly, the cats are wonderful, and we love working with them.  We provide them food, health care, and shelter in the hopes that we can keep their line alive long enough to get their numbers back up and bring their species back to the wild.  IN return, they provide us a connection to the wild, and a chance to educate people about the amazing diversity of creatures that have, and we hope will continue to inhabit our planet.  We dont do it for the money, and we certainly dont do it because we are smart (I've taken a swat or two and been really lucky), but we do it because we love our cats and want people to understand them, appreciate them, and hopefully, learn to respect them.

And to an extent, I exaggerate the danger.  These creatures are by no stretch of the imagination "pets", and they never will be.  But they respect him and, generally, (as much as any cat listens to humans) listen to him when he gives them suggestions. And if all else fails and something stupid happens from the audience, Catman has excellent control of the cats movement via leash, and we have several stupid, er, I mean brave individuals like myself willing to throw themselves in front of the cat. <grin>

Radu the Gypsy

One of my favorite dishes is to take a Steak on a Stake and place it between a folded slice of cheesy bread. (Luckily these stands are within spitting distance from one another) Instant steak sandwich. YUM. (Of course take the stake out first...I imagine that would not be so yummy.)

I too have to figure which weekends I will be able to visit this year. Being a patron for the first time (in a very long time) is going to be an odd experience...

So Zoe, will you *really* be a patron this year.  I seem to remember someone saying they were going to be a patron last year...