News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finally!!!!

Started by LadyFireKissed, April 25, 2012, 09:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk

Quote from: Zoë on April 30, 2012, 12:22:47 PM
Wow! With friends like you, Baron, who needs enemas? ...
I really wish we could come back this year! I want to see the cats again! ...not so sure about the Baron, though...  ;)

Now, now, Wizard!  Be nice, or I'll tell the folks in Colorado about that little misadventure with the spell in Dallas earlier this spring.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Merlin the Elder

heh-heh.... You know I'm kidding, Baron! It may be RenDezvous before we see you next, but look forward to it nevertheless.  :)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Zoë

Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on May 01, 2012, 08:30:53 AM
Quote from: Zoë on April 30, 2012, 12:22:47 PM
One of my favorite dishes is to take a Steak on a Stake and place it between a folded slice of cheesy bread. (Luckily these stands are within spitting distance from one another) Instant steak sandwich. YUM. (Of course take the stake out first...I imagine that would not be so yummy.)

I too have to figure which weekends I will be able to visit this year. Being a patron for the first time (in a very long time) is going to be an odd experience...

So Zoe, will you *really* be a patron this year.  I seem to remember someone saying they were going to be a patron last year...

I know, I know. I believe I've said for years now that I wouldn't be returning--but this year I really mean it. For better or worse. We just live too far away now (we have mountain lions and bobcats in our yard, can I bring one to show and tell at the cat show??) and I am working full time in the service industry in a tourist town, which makes asking for weekends off in the summer very tough. That with the upcoming wedding and buying a house this summer just makes things far too hectic for me to even think about trying to ask for the time off to commit to faire. Alas. But, I should be able to make it "down the valley" a handful of times to visit, and I'm very excited to do so!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Norfolk

All kidding aside, we're looking forward to seeing you whenever you make it down the hill, Lass.  Will we be meeting your beau as well?
Just call me "Your Grace"

Zoë

Quote from: Baron on May 01, 2012, 10:23:52 PM
All kidding aside, we're looking forward to seeing you whenever you make it down the hill, Lass.  Will we be meeting your beau as well?

I hope so! I imagine I'll be able to drag him along with me at least once this season. My folks should be there several times as well.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

LadyFireKissed

Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on May 01, 2012, 08:29:06 AM
Quote from: LadyFireKissed on May 01, 2012, 07:48:58 AM
Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on May 01, 2012, 12:31:10 AM
I was kidding about the food.  We tell the audience that we will happily take misbehaving and wiggly little food items (i.e. children) as donation.  Honestly, the cats eat steak, and eat better than the humans who attend them.

As for their source, some are members of endangered species raised in captivity so that we'll have them around a little bit longer.  Others are rescues. (Come find me on a sunday and I'll tell you about the Vet who "adopted" a mountain lion).  Still others are part of breeding programs to keep genetic diversity in the population so when their environments recover, they can be reintroduced.

However, I'll say this now, and I'll say it every show every sunday of faire (I only work sundays due to other obligations).  You can not remove the natural instincts of wild cats.  the Catman has an amazing rapport with these creatures, and I swear he can speak their language.  But if your little wiggly food item goes running in front of the stage during the show, our handler is going to be hard pressed to restrain a 250 pound cat.  That is part of why I am there, to stop kids from doing such thing, and to interpose in the very rare case that a kid gets past us.  I'm also there to stop patrons from reaching over the ropes to try and "Pet the Kitty".  People have been desensitized to danger and for some reason, though we repeat it over and over again, dont see the cats as potentially dangerous predators.

Sorry, Sore Point.  I'll stop preaching.

Honestly, the cats are wonderful, and we love working with them.  We provide them food, health care, and shelter in the hopes that we can keep their line alive long enough to get their numbers back up and bring their species back to the wild.  IN return, they provide us a connection to the wild, and a chance to educate people about the amazing diversity of creatures that have, and we hope will continue to inhabit our planet.  We dont do it for the money, and we certainly dont do it because we are smart (I've taken a swat or two and been really lucky), but we do it because we love our cats and want people to understand them, appreciate them, and hopefully, learn to respect them.

And to an extent, I exaggerate the danger.  These creatures are by no stretch of the imagination "pets", and they never will be.  But they respect him and, generally, (as much as any cat listens to humans) listen to him when he gives them suggestions. And if all else fails and something stupid happens from the audience, Catman has excellent control of the cats movement via leash, and we have several stupid, er, I mean brave individuals like myself willing to throw themselves in front of the cat. <grin>

Well that is a good thing to hear.  I was only asking(Not being 100% sure), because when I went up to Alaska to see my brother, I got to see two Bald Eagles, that could not be reintroduced.  One thing that they had WAS a cooler asking for donations of food.

So dont worry about preaching.   ;D  I do know and preach myself to people about what animals are and aren't...

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

We have the Rocky Mountain Raptor Society from Ft Collins there as well and each weekend they bring different birds of pray to show and collect donations for. Each bird has been injured so bad that they cannot be turned free. The donated money goes to the care and feeding and many of the birds they get to get to be released back to the wild.

Everyone of them is beautiful and majestic
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: Lady de Laney on May 02, 2012, 09:22:29 AM
We have the Rocky Mountain Raptor Society from Ft Collins there as well and each weekend they bring different birds of pray to show and collect donations for. Each bird has been injured so bad that they cannot be turned free. The donated money goes to the care and feeding and many of the birds they get to get to be released back to the wild.

Everyone of them is beautiful and majestic

Needless to say, the two groups do not share a stage...

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

NOOOOO Raptors would be kitty food. The RMRS is just inside and cannot be missed
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Radu the Gypsy

And dont forget about Greyhound Rescue.  Great way to get your Pup fix if you find yourself running low at faire.

Merlin the Elder

So true! Both of my dogs are rescued animals. My Akita is too rough to put with a Greyhound, but we have greyhound racing a couple hours away, and they have a local group that takes the dogs when their racing careers are over.  The CoRF booth was getting lots of visitors when we were there...I hope there were a lot of adoptions.

LadyFireKissed

I love the Greyhounds!  I know someone over here who does breed and show them but also does ALOT of rescue work for them.  They are cool dogs and I am glad to see there is work going on over there as well to help them..

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Also do NOT be afraid of the dragon. The dragon is nice and kind and loves people.

And when you hear the most horrible yell... it means the Elephant is coming and you best get out of it's way... FAST
"The Metal Maiden"

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Lady de Laney on May 03, 2012, 11:02:39 AM
Also do NOT be afraid of the dragon. The dragon ... loves people....
For snacking purposes?  ;D  Yes, Fireflicker is quite the awesome dragon.

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: Lady de Laney on May 03, 2012, 11:02:39 AM
And when you hear the most horrible yell... it means the Elephant is coming and you best get out of it's way... FAST

Aww, but Paige is a sweety!  It's not like she'd ever, oh, i dont know, rip a branch off a tree and use it to sweep people out of her way...