News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tall Toad hat brim question....

Started by Rowan MacD, April 26, 2012, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

I bought 2 smooth velvet Tall Toad tall hats without trim (120.00 for both).  
  The are lovely hats, but I noticed that they have very little to no curve in the brim.  The product pics on the site show a pronounced curve.

http://talltoad.net/

How do I get the curve in the brim?  I don't remember the hats coming with instructions for curving the brims, just how to make them fit better.   I'm a bit paranoid about steaming them, they are made of cardboard and plastic under the velvet....
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

A small amount of steam (or a really humid day!) will work.   I have a couple of Tall Toad hats and that's how I've re-curved them myself.  (One I just left outside, in the shade, on a very humid day.   Once it was "soft" enough to play with, I curved up the brim on one side and made sure that it would hold by bringing it inside and using a book end to help hold up the curve.  It works really well!)

Rowan MacD

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.   
   Figured some of you had these already, and worked through this!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Usually if there is a slight dip in the front and back to the tall crown part of the hat, the brim should curve.

Isabella gives a good suggestion.

The Arched Tall Hat I made for TokiBloodaxe to go with his new esemble. The Brim curves at the sides.

Here's my Arched Tall Hat from the side. You can see where the center dip is, thus making the Crown appear taller.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde