News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Adding a waistband (to bloomers/breeches/etc)?

Started by gem, May 05, 2012, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

So to my delight, I found an old Simplicity pattern for harem pants in my stash--and they come all the way to the waist, unlike the newer ones. Huzzah!

But. They're really basic, definitely more of a "costume" instead of clothing. There's just one pattern piece (a leg), and the waist is formed by folding the top couple inches down to form a casing for elastic. This is not my favorite waist treatment, and I think my fabric (medium-weight wool crepe) is too bulky, anyway.

I'd like to add a proper waistband. I haven't decided on whether I want to do elastic, partial elastic, or have it open/close with hooks and eyes. This *seems* like it should be fairly straightforward and intuitive, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. My instinct is to lop off the casing allowance at the top (less seam allowance) and replace it with the waistband of my choice. Yes? No? Alternatives?

Gramercy!!

DonaCatalina

I have better luck with buttons or even hooks than elastic. For Men's garb clothes, the elastic seems to end up bunching oddly.
But maybe for me it just looks more 'finished' if its neatly pleated or gathered onto a waistband.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Any tips on adapting a no-waistband pattern for a waistband?

Kate XXXXXX

Wickedvox

Quote from: gem on May 05, 2012, 11:33:23 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Any tips on adapting a no-waistband pattern for a waistband?

I suggest you use the treatment from *my* simplicity pattern: make a kind of "C" shaped yoke (including a facing) as wide as you want it, gather up your waste to match it, sew it down(but sew down the ends so when you turn it the edges fold in neatly), apply the facing, leave the back open about 6 inches, then do hand sewn eyelets for the closure (that last bit I added--not from the pattern). Hope that wasn't too confusing--ambien has kicked in, time for bed!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

gem

Wickedvox

Hey, I helped *you* for a change lol! No problem!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."