News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice for Covering Hair/Dreadlocks

Started by Widget, May 08, 2012, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widget

Hey everyone, I'm a guy of mixed race origin with ethnic Hair that happens to be (tastefully) dreaded. Now here's the issue, I am in the process of becomming a boothie at a faire where the owner dose not much care for dreadlocks. My garb is rather simple, a poet shirt, some balloon type pants and a my belt with pouches and such. how can i go about covering my hair so it blends well with my garb?

any advice and suggestions are most welcome!

Butch

A very large bag hat (looks like a chef's hat).  Wouldn't have to be white.  The balloon pants makes me think that a LARGE bag would not only suit your dreads, but would also compliment your trousers.  Good luck!

operafantomet

I see you in this type of hat:

Giovan Angelo Annoni, painted ca. 1570 by Figino (private collection)

I assume you could treat your dreads in a similar fashion as I do. I have long and thick hair, and when I need to get it out of the way I curl it up into a ring or as a pretzel at the crown of my head, and pin it down. I can wear most kind of hats on top (just not caps, haha).

Captain Teague

The Code is the Law...

lys1022

Possibly wrapping them in a scarf?  Or, as someone else mentioned, pinning them up under a hat.  I guess it depends on how thick your hair is, and how long your dreads are?
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Widget

Thank you everyone great ideas!!! I could not remember for the life of me what a bag hat was called and yes, it would match my pants pretty well if i pin them up at the crown of my head

Yes i forgot to mention how thick my dreads are they are pretty thick and hang below my collar bone.
also heres a pic i didnt think of till now of my basic garb without my belt and accessories: 

taken before opening cannon, so i had my comphy shoes one as well. the leg cuffs have draw strings to tie off

isabelladangelo

Pirated didn't wear dreads - in the 16th Century which is the time period for most Renaissance festivals.  

If you scroll down to the Greek Men or the Turkish/Ottoman men, you'll see a few turbans.   I think that those would give you plenty of room for your hair (I've worn one before - my hair is American Indian/Mediterranean so it's very thick and I have it down past the small of my back now, so long.  I could completely cover my hair in a turban when I wore one for Archeology).   Also, I think you'd look awesome with your current outfit plus a nice simple Ottoman style coat (they wore them in Greece and Italy too!)

Rowan MacD

The oversized bag hat would work, but with his mixed ethnicity, a turban would give Widget a more exotic look.   Pictures please!   
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on May 08, 2012, 10:41:20 PM
A very large bag hat (looks like a chef's hat).  Wouldn't have to be white.  The balloon pants makes me think that a LARGE bag would not only suit your dreads, but would also compliment your trousers.  Good luck!

How about dye them blue and wrap them on your head like a thrum cap?   ;D ;D ::)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on May 09, 2012, 11:36:05 AM
How about dye them blue and wrap them on your head like a thrum cap?   ;D ;D ::)
HA!

Captain Teague

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 09, 2012, 06:58:25 AM
Pirated didn't wear dreads - in the 16th Century which is the time period for most Renaissance festivals.  

I said pirates wore them. I did not say when. I guess I missed the point where he said he was going for HA.
The Code is the Law...

Anna Iram

Well,  aside from all that, Widget is not a Pirate.

Widget, will you be working your own booth or selling someone elses wares? Reason I ask is I like the sack hat you have on in some of your pics as the Tinker Fae. Any reason that won't work forfor this job? Are you creating a different character?

Widget

Quote from: Anna Iram on May 09, 2012, 05:49:41 PM
Well,  aside from all that, Widget is not a Pirate.

Widget, will you be working your own booth or selling someone elses wares? Reason I ask is I like the sack hat you have on in some of your pics as the Tinker Fae. Any reason that won't work forfor this job? Are you creating a different character?

I will be selling someone elses wares, the "sack hat" i have in my pics is actually a hippy dread tam i bought at the local hippy store that i wore backwards with the brim tucked under lol. its my backup plan, just add a plume!

The faire im doing dose not like fantasy characters, so i guess im creating a makeshift character for this one

isabelladangelo

Like I said, Italy, Greece, and the Ottoman Empire all wore Turbans.   I would really look into those.  

http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/I_03_01.htm

Caftans!   They are very simple to make and it would look awesome over what you already have.   add the turban and you have a nice, period looking outfit.  

Anna Iram

Well, you look like you have tons of fun with your current character. You should work up another persona. Why not?  I love Isabella's idea if you have some extra cash to make new garb. If not, I'm sure going with what you have and/ or adding a bag hat, or turban will still work out great.