News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice for Covering Hair/Dreadlocks

Started by Widget, May 08, 2012, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widget

I have tons of fun running around as widget! When i do have more funds i do plan on making a human persona, i m a very ecclectic person and ive been kimda drawn to the Roma, and now that its been suggested, the Greek influance. also i like the sort of Destitute person trying to be fashionable but not quite getting it (did that even make sense?)

lys1022

Have you seen the look of Scarborough's Rom?  That might be something you would enjoy.  Here are a couple of links:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/561165_3498563577064_1060880295_33115422_849680786_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/579253_3915924581095_1368875720_3548705_252819113_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/561165_3498563577064_1060880295_33115422_849680786_n.jpg

I hope that the links work.  I was looking for photos and even though I couldn't turn around without several popping up yesterday, I had a hard time re-finding them today.  :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Widget

PollyPoPo

I have a question in general about clothing periods and such, regarding clothing (relieved of any jewels) passed down from very well-to-do to not-so-well-to-do relatives who passed down to house servants who would have passed down to lower servants, and so on til the rag pickers got everything.  (I am ignoring the stingy people who hoard or the times when even the richest people followed the use it up, wear it out, do without philosophy.) 

So how did sumptuary laws come into play regarding used clothing? 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Anna Iram

I don't know the answers to your questions about hand me downs, Polly,  but it sure would be an intetesting thread. Especially for someone with a character who was mad poor.

Widget, the Roma look perfect for what you already have!  Just a matter of adding scarves and other trinkets. :) 

isabelladangelo

Polly, in the 16th C, the clothing would have been out of vogue and, thereby, noticeable that it was a hand me down.  Also, there were a great deal of thrift shops (in England, at least) where the well to do would drop off their old clothing for the less fortunate.  Also, don't forget the Germans who would slice up the clothing to make it fit!   In other parts of the world, it looks like they would restyle the clothing to make it fit.  The clothing would have been stripped not only of the gems but also of any trim.  The actual cut of the clothing didn't always vary from class to class - it was all the appliques (trims, ect) that made the gown a gown.  Cut the lacing holes out of the back of a gown, sew up that seam, and make it lace up the front - now you have a practical working gown.

For the more exotic fibers (silk brocades, for example) the dress was cut up for children's clothing and for quilts.   This was done well up into the 20th C -where a lady might cut up her wedding gown for her child's baptismal gown.  Not all clothing was handed down directly. 

lys1022

If you like the Scarborough Rom look, just give me a shout.  My husband is the Gypsy King (the one in the long vest and gold sash in the photos), so I can give you a decent breakdown of what goes into the look and the options that they have used amongst the group.  That would give you a starting point. :)
Lys

DonaCatalina

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 10, 2012, 10:04:07 AM
Polly, in the 16th C, the clothing would have been out of vogue and, thereby, noticeable that it was a hand me down.  Also, there were a great deal of thrift shops (in England, at least) where the well to do would drop off their old clothing for the less fortunate.  

LOL
I remember going through online records of Court cases from the reign of QEI for geneology research. Many a poor sailor awoke to find himself sans apparel; said apparel having been sold to the thrift shop by persons unknown.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

operafantomet

Quote from: PollyPoPo on May 10, 2012, 07:20:33 AM
I have a question in general about clothing periods and such, regarding clothing (relieved of any jewels) passed down from very well-to-do to not-so-well-to-do relatives who passed down to house servants who would have passed down to lower servants, and so on til the rag pickers got everything.  (I am ignoring the stingy people who hoard or the times when even the richest people followed the use it up, wear it out, do without philosophy.) 

So how did sumptuary laws come into play regarding used clothing? 

The way garment was constructed made it able to unpick seams and have fairly large pieces of fabric to make new garments of. In surviving clothes there are lots of examples of remodellings, or of a fashionable item made of fairly old-fashioned fabric. Whereas the tailoring was appreciated, the materials used in a garment usually decided how expensive the item was. And despite how old fashioned an actual garment were, the rules still applied to who could use the given fabric/colour/whatever. Because of this garments made of precious fabrics were rarely passed down to the less unfortunate.

But there were re-use going on. Noble ladies had a tradition of donating fine clothes to either their ladies-in-waiting, or to churches/monasteries. When the former was done, the clothes was still fairly fashionable and used as they were, or they were remodeled. When the latter was done, the clothes were either used to dress statues of saints (like "The crimson Pisa dress") or they were remodeled into clerical garments like chasubles, copes, stoles etc.

If the owner of the fine garb was in need of money, they could pawn their precious items. They were either bought back later on, or the clothes were re-sold. Clothes, jewelry, furnitures etc. was all liquid money, and was frequently pawned. Especially bridal jewelry, since the bride was only allowed to use it on her wedding, and maybe up to one year after the wedding. After this she was considered a matron and could not use the clothes and jewelry of a young woman. Bridal adornment were therefore often bought with the sentiment of selling it again in a year or so, except for maybe one precious item which was the groom's special gift to his bride.

operafantomet

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 09, 2012, 09:17:03 PM
Like I said, Italy, Greece, and the Ottoman Empire all wore Turbans.   I would really look into those.  

http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/I_03_01.htm

Caftans!   They are very simple to make and it would look awesome over what you already have.   add the turban and you have a nice, period looking outfit.  
All didn't wear turbans. Ottomans did. Greek orthodox rarely did. The Ottoman empire was complicated when compared to the idea of modern nationalistic states, but survived for centuries because of this complex system. In each millet (city/state/society) the majority of inhabitants was what decided the religion and leader of the millet. Within this they were fairly free to practice their own religion, way of dressing and other traditions. Hence, much of Ottoman Greece was Christian and with other dress traditions than in Ottoman Turkey.

Also, take into account that much of modern Greece was considered Italian colonies - Crete, Rhodes, much of southern Peloponnes or its islands. Here the inhabitants dresses like Italians, only with more exotic head wraps, shoes and accessories. So "Greeks" within our SCA period dresses all kinds of ways, depending on who was their leader in any given area.

But I totally second the kaftan. It gained major popularity in large parts of Europe, and it's a versatile item.

Widget

Quote from: lys1022 on May 10, 2012, 11:57:59 AM
If you like the Scarborough Rom look, just give me a shout.  My husband is the Gypsy King (the one in the long vest and gold sash in the photos), so I can give you a decent breakdown of what goes into the look and the options that they have used amongst the group.  That would give you a starting point. :)

I would love some advice!

Dinobabe

I would love to hear some recommendations, as well!  I would like to develop a Rom look for SCA and Faire.  If he has some research on clothing, etc. I would love to sneak a peek!  Is there any place that his group would have a ton of photos online (besides the faire site)?  Thanks!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Dinobabe on May 14, 2012, 10:06:47 AM

I would love to hear some recommendations, as well!  I would like to develop a Rom look for SCA and Faire.  If he has some research on clothing, etc. I would love to sneak a peek!  Is there any place that his group would have a ton of photos online (besides the faire site)?  Thanks!

The Roma look for SCA is very different from the Renn Faire Gyspy.  The Renn Faire Gypsy is based off of 20th C Disney.   The Romani in period looked like this:

http://larsdatter.com/romani.htm

Dinobabe

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 14, 2012, 10:47:33 AM
The Roma look for SCA is very different from the Renn Faire Gyspy.  The Renn Faire Gypsy is based off of 20th C Disney.   The Romani in period looked like this:

Oh, I know! ;)
But I figured if he had any research on both fronts it would be valuable.  I don't want my Faire version to be the same as my SCA version, anyway. ;D

That's a great site, isn't it!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

lys1022

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 14, 2012, 10:47:33 AM

You're assuming quite a bit about the look of various Rom.  Not every faire has the same style for their Rom.  Scarborough's Rom actually don't look like 20th century Disney, they follow a more Middle-Eastern look.

Not everyone does the same thing, and assuming that no one does any research and makes their decisions based on both research and the need to have characters quickly identifiable by the general public is rather insulting, actually.  You probably don't MEAN to come off as insulting or condescending, but, quite frankly, you did on this.

Anyway, to answer the photo question from further above, if you check the photo thread on the Scarborough board, I'm sure that there are plenty of photos of the Scarborough Vitsa.
Lys