News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice for Covering Hair/Dreadlocks

Started by Widget, May 08, 2012, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Quote from: lys1022 on May 14, 2012, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 14, 2012, 10:47:33 AM
The Roma look for SCA is very different from the Renn Faire Gyspy.  The Renn Faire Gypsy is based off of 20th C Disney.   The Romani in period looked like this:

http://larsdatter.com/romani.htm

You're assuming quite a bit about the look of various Rom.  Not every faire has the same style for their Rom.  Scarborough's Rom actually don't look like 20th century Disney, they follow a more Middle-Eastern look.

Not everyone does the same thing, and assuming that no one does any research and makes their decisions based on both research and the need to have characters quickly identifiable by the general public is rather insulting, actually.  You probably don't MEAN to come off as insulting or condescending, but, quite frankly, you did on this.

Anyway, to answer the photo question from further above, if you check the photo thread on the Scarborough board, I'm sure that there are plenty of photos of the Scarborough Vitsa.

If that's true for your fair - that even the playtrons do research and don't come in coin belts and sheer pants with little else- that truly is amazing!  I'd love to see more of that but at every fair I've been to (MDRF, Alabama, MD Fairy Fest, VARF) the idea of gypsy seems to be Esmeralda from Disney's the Hunchback of Notre Dame.  Is it *wrong* to wear that?  No.  However, it is wrong to believe that it's anything close to period.   And yes, I have met several individuals who wear Disney gypsy despite knowing it's not correct for the SCA.  One declared it was too much trouble to wear the real Romani because she hated everyone coming up and asking her what period/culture she was.   So she gave up.   I see this as a failure to inform and teach about history which makes the archeologist part of me cringe deeply.  Rather than trying to spread the word of what the Romani actually wore, she went with the Hollywood idea because it was easier.   To me, it's also an abandonment of responsibility - we should all strive to teach each other in order to better each other.   

Following a more middle eastern look is fine - but then why not call it that?  Why call it Romani at all if that's not what it is?   Call it Persian or Turkish or what ever look you are going for - but don't call it what it isn't.

Dinobabe: I know!  I love her pages.  Have you checked out any of her 18th C stuff?

lys1022

Because there are Vitsas of Rom who DO wear the Middle-Eastern styles.  They wear that because the majority of their traveling was done in those areas.  It is very common for the Rom to wear styles that are current in the area / time period that they travel.  They do so partially so as to better blend in and not draw more negative attention than they already get, and partially because that is what is available to them.  Quite frankly, based on the research, Rom in England would normally wear clothing very similar to the average English peasant.  Unfortunately, that does not make them immediately identifiable as Rom to the average patron, and so some distinguishing characteristics have to happen. 

As Scarborough's Vitsas (there are multiple that have joined together to form one main group) have traveled through the Russias, the Middle East, Greece, and the Italies, they wear clothing that can be seen in those areas and speak with a mixture of Khalderash Romani dialect and Russian dialect.

These are performers.  Patrons pay for their tickets and have every right to wear what they WANT to wear (without judgement from others as to their "correctness" or not), so long as what they are wearing falls on the legal side of decency laws.  And if a patron is interested in learning more about the Rom, then it is a performer's joy to help them learn and to point them toward credible resources in an educational and entertaining way.  If a patron could care less, well, that is their choice too.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

captmarga

Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Widget

EEk! Everyone just be nice, hehehe. although i know how passionate everyone can be about their chose faire personae and cultures. I've had numerous debates about fae lore and culture with people who are not as framilliar about it as i am. But then again Widget, my faire character is a Fae so i did a lot of research and work ok his outfits, and i am still learning new things about folklore and such. And sometimes at faire i think it can be ok to make it a little more easy for the patrons to understand what your character is.

Widget is a Tinker fairy, based on Brownies, the little sprites that fix things, or play tricks on you in your house depending on if you were nice or not. but tinkers are mainly associated with Tinkerbell, and i get asked if i know her, and i have to play along. If i called myself Widget the Brownie people might think i was dessert *rim shot*! And then i have to deal with being a boy fairy, which is pretty uncommon, im the only one in colorado as far as i know. So part of my character is that he is an activist for male fairy rights, i have a great speech whenever someone says boys cant be a fairy or that all fairies are girls. but then again thanks to disney and the tinkerbell movies, boy fairies are less odd.

i think its a bit of give and take, Not all patrons are rennies so its ok to make some garb adjustments to get your point across.

(i think i just ranted...)

Trillium

LOL....alright boys and girls....lets get this train back on the tracks! ;)
Got faerie dust?

captmarga

Quote from: Widget on May 15, 2012, 12:31:48 PM

Widget is a Tinker fairy, based on Brownies, the little sprites that fix things, or play tricks on you in your house depending on if you were nice or not.

i think its a bit of give and take, Not all patrons are rennies so its ok to make some garb adjustments to get your point across.

If you are playing fae, no need to settle on any one style - mix them up.  A striped colorful headwrap/variation of a turban could work perfectly well.  Or a wreath of green leaves, with your dreads pulled back into a ponytail and wrapped with ribbons. 

Good luck!

Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc