News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How did/Did you make your way to "comfortable"? (Wordy. Long)

Started by Eric the Ugly, May 21, 2012, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

QEliz, I would want shoes that look period (really, truly historically period), and that DON'T look like everybody else's Renfair shoes. The market is already saturated with really expensive handmade boots and sandals.

Basically... less this:

... And more this:

Also, our fairgrounds are rocky and dusty, and I need shoes where I don't feel every bump or stone or chunk of mulch underfoot when I walk. That's why I love my Travelsmith maryjanes--they're designed to be worn by people who are trekking all day long in various types of terrain. I see a lot of the inexpensive imported maryjane slippers sold by garb websites, but I can't imagine how they'd hold up to actual wear at Fair.

Off to explore your site!

insidiousraven

I completely agree with Gem.  I know they're considered less stylish, but I would LOVE a wider selection of comfortable, affordable, historically accurate shoes.

Ser Niall

This site carries historically accurate (for the most part) renaissance footwear.  http://www.garbtheworld.com/items/periodshoes.shtml

I purchased these, haven't worn them to a fair so I'm not sure how they'll wear.  They are comfy wearing around the house, and look nice: http://www.garbtheworld.com/instock/catalog.php?item=1347&catid=Shoes

I wanted to purchase these tudor style shoes, but they've been out of stock in my size for the color combo I want: http://www.garbtheworld.com/instock/catalog.php?item=933&catid=Shoes
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

QEliz

Gem, that's exactly what my thought has been - too many commercial modern-looking shoes, not enough more authentic looking choices.

Which leads to a couple more questions  :P :

Is authenticity in materials and construction preferable to authentic looking but more comfortable options?  There's a lot to be said for cushy insoles!  It's not like they show.

I'm very intrigued by brocade shoes.  Does anyone here have any interest in them?  My research indicates that they were in style in the 17th and 18th centuries; I'm not sure if they were around in the 16th.

gem

Well, I can't answer for everyone, but I personally prefer comfortable + authentic-looking. I know others will prefer things to be as historically accurate as possible. (I'm one of those silly folks who likes to play dress-up but still appreciates modern comforts like indoor plumbing and the Internet! LOL) There used to be a shoemaker called Lady Oren, who made the most beautiful period-inspired shoes, and they were *affordable.* She had pictures on her website of her shoes alongside period artwork showing each style.

And I know it's outside our regular period, but I for one would LOVE an affordable pair of over-the-top 18th C. brocade shoes. IMO, they're the most beautiful shoes of any era. But they're not easy to find, at all! You pretty much have to commit to making them yourself.

I had been coveting these from Victorian Trading Co for ages, even though that ridiculous heel is WAY not period, but when I finally tried them on, they were AWFUL! Completely unwearable.

So, yes--still on the hunt!

QEliz

Gem, I agree completely!  I LOVE those 18th century shoes!  I'd like to learn to make something like these:

Lady Renee Buchanan

Two days after faire, my feet are still in agony.  Due to my garb being a tad too long to wear without my boots with a 1 inch heel, I wore said boots to faire.  I had gel inserts in them, and my feet feel as bad as they did 3 years ago before I went to the podiatrist and ended up with custom orthotics.  I've had the boots for about 3 years and didn't have any problems in the past, but I will never wear those boots again.

I have bought 3 pairs of Heart & Sole shoes, which are historic looking, but are the most comfortable shoes I own, and I can wear all day without the orthotics. Bonus is they are beautiful looking as well.

So for me, comfort is the most important thing.  I am still limping, and I doubt I'll ever forget the pain that I am experiencing.  I decided I would never again wear anything that isn't comfortable, no matter how pretty they are!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich