News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pixar's "Brave"

Started by Robert Phoenix, May 22, 2012, 10:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Phoenix

Can't believe ther are so few posts on this.  The kilt forum's are all over it.  I'm already planning on going kilted so it should be fun.  the red Hot Chili Pipers are playing all the bagpipes on the soundtrack and htere are "Brave" booths popping up at some of the Highland Games.  So here's today's trailer.  There's alot of them out there and most are as funny as all h....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqqpke4lCo&feature=related

BubbleWright

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

LadyFae

This comes out on my birthday so I AM going!!!!!   ;D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Robert Phoenix

I had seen that thread.  I was surprised at the few postings that were there which is why I decided to update a bit.  Here's the kilt trailer from the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buTFJaE9bNw

Rowan MacD

Rave Theater chain in a few states have asked Scottish societies to show up for the premeirs in Kilts and Celtic garb.  Alas the groups her in Omaha were not asked to participate. :(
 We plan to see the movie early this afternoon.

edit: just got an email from the Clan Davidson USA head-Pixar has applied for their own Tartan for the movie. The following is the text of the message

"David Chagnon   7:19am Jun 22

For those heading off to see "Brave" this evening, here's the tartan designed by Pixar for the movie, and the text that accompanied the submission to the Scottish Registry of Tartan:

Since ancient times, stories of epic battles and mystical legends have been passed through the generations across the rugged and mysterious Highlands of Scotland. From Disney and Pixar, a new tale joins the lore when the courageous Merida (voice of Kelly Macdonald) confronts tradition and challenges destiny to change her fate. 'Brave' follows the heroic journey of Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). The DunBroch Tartan was designed with subdued, rich colours to reflect the rugged, natural setting of Scotland. Representative of the tartan worn by the Royal Family in 'Brave', the pattern is neither splashy nor bright, but organically refined in its colour sense. There was a concerted effort to use hues that were indicative of the less saturated dyeing techniques during the ancient period in which the fantasy film is set. The DunBroch Tartan is the original work of Pixar Animation Studios and is protected by applicable copyright and trademark laws. Only to be woven with the written consent of Disney/Pixar. Colours: Much like Scotland itself, the DunBroch Tartan is set against the ocean blue of the North Sea. The deep scarlet represents the family's reverence for its own history, and the blood shed during battles between the clans. Deep green shows a love for Scotland's majestic highlands, where the story of Disney Pixar's 'Brave' unfolds. Navy blue, and its clear central intersections, represents the forging of the clans within the DunBroch kingdom. And finally, the subtle grey imbues a sense of respect for the inner soul of the strong Scottish people.

Have a great time!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

scarletnyx

Apparently some folks who frequent Sherwood Forest Faire here in Texas are going to the premiere tonight in garb as a group. I wish I could make it, but its an hour away and it would take me an hour to get there... I'm tempted just to show up in my Druid robe to a "normal" showing.

Hey, it's still clothes! they shouldn't say anything!
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

DonaCatalina

What is so bad about Celts in Omaha that the theaters don't want your business?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

raevyncait

We had about 30 of us show up, but only about half or so in garb, but it was still a lot of fun.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

LadyAsh

I was thinking about going to see this movie in the theaters with my friends, when I have a weekend off work. I am thinking about going in garb, but not sure.
"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 22, 2012, 03:22:31 PM
What is so bad about Celts in Omaha that the theaters don't want your business?
Don't know. The pirate factions get a chilly reception for the POTC movies too.

We went to see it yesterday anyway, wearing our Clan shirts that we use for the games.  Great movie.
   I like that the theme was Mother/Daughter bond instead of a romantic one since it is a Disney Princess.
The men were there generally for comic relief (and very well done!)
IWG wench #3139 

LadyFae

AuntieGiggles and I went yesterday with my three daughters and her husband, as well as with Marietta Graziella and one of her boys. We LOVED the movie! VERY fun!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Lord Clisto of York

I plan on seeing it either this Monday or Tuesday coming up. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Trillium

We went and saw Brave yesterday and loved it!  Although there is a girl as lead it isn't a "girlie" movie.  We laughed through most of it and got teary at the appropriate parts.  My 9 yo boy thought it was great. Saw lots of adults there with no children in tow.  The graphics were amazing, that horse looked real in many parts!  Definately want this for my collection.
Got faerie dust?

Lady Amy of York

I saw the movie last night with my  family. Very well  done. Excellent  message about the bond between a mother and daughter, and although the lead character is  a female it is  a movie  for all .  Great animation. The artists that drew  the animals are very talented.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

DonaCatalina

We saw it yesterday morning....though we had to sit through 40 minutes of kiddie previews. Not a knock on the movie; but the published start time was 11:40 but they didn't finish previews until 12:20. I don't think we'll try any more Wednesday matinee showings.

The plot was a little thin, but the animation was gorgeous. Some of the 'aerial' shots looked very real, almost like film. But it was a very entertaining movie.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

amy

Saw it with a garbed crew in Nashville last week.   We had a great time!  We all really liked it and agreed that the animation is absolutely beautiful!! 

Hospitaller

Wife and I went to the Weds matinee and really enjoyed it. Agree with everyone that the animaton was very realistic. Reminded me of some real portions of Scotland I've been to in the northern coast, and very much made me wish to be back.

Can't believe we didn't even think to kilt up...... :-[

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 05, 2012, 05:14:22 AM
We saw it yesterday morning....though we had to sit through 40 minutes of kiddie previews. Not a knock on the movie; but the published start time was 11:40 but they didn't finish previews until 12:20. I don't think we'll try any more Wednesday matinee showings.
I read on one of those '10 things you don't know' blogs that you really shouldn't worry about being late for a movie anymore.   Now days, the 'start times' are designed to get everybody in their seats for the commercials (many of which you've already seen on TV) as well as the previews. You actually have about 15-20 minutes before the feature starts.
   We use it to hit the concessions, rather than getting snacks before sitting down.  Getting there early for a good seat is really not an issue unless you are going to the opening day or two of a popular flick, or you are attending with a huge tribe of folks who want to sit together.  
IWG wench #3139 

Merlin the Elder

Funny thing about movies these days... We don't watch television anymore because of the poor programming for one, and stupid, inane commercials for another.  I'm not going to pay to watch commercials. It's very rare that we go to the theater for movies anymore, usually only when my son is visiting, because he is a huge movie goer.  I saw my first (new generation) 3D last week.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Zardoz

I guess y'all are going to AMC or Cinemark theaters a lot, since they both sell advertising in front of their shows. I love previews, but I too find the ads annoying, and I always think it's funny that they pimp TV shows at the movies! But I guess their option would be to charge you even more and let you stare at a blank wall...
While the rule of thumb is that the showtimes mean the start of previews, AMC is frequently cited for having the latest 'start times' for their shows, part of that is based on one of their long standing guidelines that shows should not start till everyone is seated, but it generally has more to do with running a multi theater complex with the minimum amount of staff.

for the record, I went to see brave for $7 at the Alamo Drafthouse, they sell booze- so no kids, and they generally tailor a preshow to the feature, so for Brave it was a lot of clips of stuff like Braveheart parodies and Billy Connely's standup shows. 
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Rowan MacD

Now that sounds like fun! 
  Yeah, the Marcus 16 theater is AMC-They just recently (this year) started showing TV show and product commercials, all of which are already on TV, and don't translate well to the big screen. 
   We rarely go with children, I wish they had something like this in our area.
  They do have $2.00 popcorn/soda combos on Thursdays for the matinee. 

IWG wench #3139 

Merlin the Elder

I've read about some theaters in Australia that serve meals and drinks...THAT'S what I would like.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Molden

Several theatres do - Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, I think there are some in the DFW as well. Heck, we even have a few out here in NC...
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Serenity

You can get beer (including Guiness) at the AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, MD  :)

On topic though, can't wait to finally be able to sit down and watch this movie!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

iain robb

We went to see Brave at the Aloma Cinema Grill, which, oddly enough considering the name is similar to the Aloma Drafthouse, is in Orlando, Florida. They serve food and drinks, including beers and wine. Tickets are normally only $7.50, but we went as a group and got in for $5.50.