News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Charecter Problems

Started by SusannaMott, June 01, 2012, 08:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusannaMott

I have been a spoon makers apprentice all season but my mistress will be going to college soon so I wont have her next year to preform with. I want a completely new occupation but I'm unsure of what to do. I want something very unique because there are not very many options left.

My story,

My family is not noble but wealthy, and I have been sent to Staffordshire as punishment, to work.

Any fun ideas.

DonaCatalina

Do you have any crafts that you do besides make spoons? Almost anything can be adapted for a yeoman class character.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

SusannaMott

Im a very craft person, I love painting, drawing, sewing and such but those jobs are taken.

McGuinness

So....be the spoonmaker. Or, use the same character. Just because your mistress isn't next to you, doesn't mean you cant still be an apprentice. Maybe you are looking for a new master or your master is always "over there somewhere".

You could always pick something else random and be the maker/monger of that. Historically, there wouldn't have been one person that would make spoons and only spoons so branch out from there and pick something else in the same vein. It sounds like you are SOOO wide open at this point that it is hard to narrow yourself down.

SusannaMott

I love the idea that even though she isnt there i pretend she is!

McGuinness

You never need to limit your connections to characters or people that actually exist on site. A couple seasons (one as a fictional peasant, one as the Countess of Southampton), my husband was always "Over there". I used to send patrons to him with messages all day long, knowing full well they would NEVER find him. It was surprising a couple times when they would tell me later the message was actually delivered....

Butch

Oh yes, we use the non-existant spouse all the time at the KCRF!

Don Giovanni de' Medici

"There is no spoon..." -The Matrix

Sorry it was begging to be said.

I think that you have an interesting choice of options to go with. I am sure there are many schools of thought on what goes for different faires, but perhaps you make some key decisions: Is your new persona allied with good or evil? Questions like those add depth to a character and allow you to take something that you liked and perhaps evolve into something new with it. You can always play to the same trade and perhaps change some other things about your character. Perhaps she is a spoon apprentice but...

She is actually the evil alter ego/twin of your original
She is not from England (Be cautious with this one; rules change depending on which country you hail from and the court at your faire.)
She can only create forks/knives/other flatware successfully
She wants to be a Knight/Dame (after all, spoons can be dangerous. "I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon" -Alan Rickman, Sheriff of Nottingham)
She invents new things from spoons (we in Italia are well known for this...well not the 'with the spoon' part)
She is more mythical and controls what type of spoon babies are born with in their mouths (I am sure the peasant are wishing it is silver)

Anyways, you get the idea. Just check with your faire casting team before you set you heart on something, if you are gonna be on cast.

Bouna Fortuna!
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
Ambasciatore del Granducato della Toscana
"Dio conserva il Papa"

Aderin

Quote from: Eileen on June 02, 2012, 08:27:29 PM
So....be the spoonmaker. Or, use the same character. Just because your mistress isn't next to you, doesn't mean you cant still be an apprentice. Maybe you are looking for a new master or your master is always "over there somewhere".

You could always pick something else random and be the maker/monger of that. Historically, there wouldn't have been one person that would make spoons and only spoons so branch out from there and pick something else in the same vein. It sounds like you are SOOO wide open at this point that it is hard to narrow yourself down.

Indeed! Well said!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Aderin

Quote from: Eileen on June 05, 2012, 06:33:31 PM
You never need to limit your connections to characters or people that actually exist on site. A couple seasons (one as a fictional peasant, one as the Countess of Southampton), my husband was always "Over there". I used to send patrons to him with messages all day long, knowing full well they would NEVER find him. It was surprising a couple times when they would tell me later the message was actually delivered....

I am DYING to try this out! I Thank thee for thy brilliance!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.