News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ray Bradbury has died...

Started by Rowan MacD, June 06, 2012, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

I absolutely loved his books.  'Something wicked this way comes' was my favorite...RIP to the great storyteller.

Ray Bradbury, Author of 'Fahrenheit 451? and 'The Martian Chronicles,' Dies at 91

Ray Bradbury, author of some of science-fiction's classic novels including "Fahrenheit 451? and "The Martian Chronicles," has died. He was 91.

Bradbury's grandson, Danny Karapetian, confirmed his death on Twitter, writing, "The world has lost one of the best writers it's ever known, and one of the dearest men to my heart. RIP Ray Bradbury (Ol' Gramps)."  Karapetian also told the website io9.com, "If I had to make any statement, it would be how much I love and miss him ... His legacy lives on in his monumental body of books, film, television and theater, but more importantly, in the minds and hearts of anyone who read him, because to read him was to know him. He was the biggest kid I know."

Born in Waukegan, Ill., Bradbury ultimately became one of the 20th century's most popular and celebrated science-fiction writers, along with Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and Robert A. Heinlein.  Bradbury's literary career spanned 70 years, beginning with short stories published in sci-fi pulp magazines.  A series of such short stories, all of them set on or having to do with Mars, ultimately became his first novel, "The Martian Chronicles."  Published in 1950, it was followed three years later by "Fahrenheit 451," set in a dystopian future world where books are outlawed and firemen burn them.  That novel, named after the temperature at which book paper ignites,  remains perhaps Bradbury's most celebrated work.

Other Bradbury novels include "Something Wicked This Way Comes," and "The Illustrated Man and Dandelion Wine."  He continued to write short stories and essays throughout his career. Bradbury was also a poet, a playwright and a screenwriter, co-writing the screenplay for the 1956 film "Moby Dick" with the film's legendary director, John Huston.

Bradbury's wife of 56 years, Marguerite, died in 2003.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

He was a gifted and intelligent story teller. He'll be missed.

I always loved 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Forum Moderators, would you care to address your actions???
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin the Elder

It appears that I finally got through to the admins, so now my dad's name is no longer on the forbidden list, and Herman Melville's classic is no longer "Moby Richard."  I'm posting this here, in a rather inappropriate location, because I'm hoping they (the admins) return here to the scene of the crime.  My rant earlier was admittedly over the top, and for that I apologize, but it corrected two things: one word that shouldn't be on the naughty list was removed, and one that should be (when outside John's Inn) was added. The naughty word I used wasn't deleted, my entire post was.

Fahrenheit 451, by the late Ray Bradbury, was about censorship. Perhaps that is what brought this issue to a head...in this thread.  To whoever is in charge of the moderation on this board, unilateral deletion of posts and threads without discussion is just plain poor moderation. How does one know the offense? I've asked for terms of Service in the past, and have to assume there is none, since I was told then, if I had a question, then ask. I thought that's what I did. The only rules I've heard are "no religion and no politics."  I suppose I should add to that "...and anything else that we don't agree with."

If you don't like something I say, have the guts to confront me to my face. I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you. I am reasonable and logical.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 06, 2012, 03:55:28 PM
He was a gifted and intelligent story teller. He'll be missed.

I always loved 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'.
The day before he died, I was reading an article about a cut-and-paste issue with B&N's Nook electronic book reader-Apparently there was a 'glitch' (intentional?) that caused Tolstoys' 'War and Peace' to substitute 'nook' whenever the author wrote 'kindle' in the text.
  That's scary, and I immediately thought 'Fahrenheit 451'.
  If the printed word goes away, and there is only an easily altered electronic record of the original for folks to read, who is to say what is the truth?  

IWG wench #3139 

Merlin the Elder

I still prefer the printed word for novels too, Rowen. For news, I'm okay with the Internet, but I wish they would hire a proofreader.

Anna Iram

I read an article about the nook/kindle issue. It's claimed to be a simple mistake on the publishers part. The book platform was being moved from Kindle to a Nook platform. They didn't realize it would affect the text of the book itself. Of course, it could be an attempt at publicity. I imagine lot's of folks dropped ยข99 to see for themselves.

Rowen, just because a book is in print doesn't mean there can't be changes and mistakes. Unless you have an original to compare, and I don't comprehend Russian, you can't really say you've read Tolstoys words as he meant them to be read. :) Even some of the earlier translations,  by Tolstoy himself were incorrect and  there was a publisher who decided to "clean it up" . The very interesting article below:

http://cruelestmonth.typepad.com/cruelestmonth/2007/08/an-essay-war-an.html

For the record, I like books too. I also like vinyl over CD's but the later is certainly convienient.

Anyway...RIP Mr.Bradbury, and thankyou for such wonderful treasures.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 07, 2012, 01:18:44 PM
I still prefer the printed word for novels too, Rowen. For news, I'm okay with the Internet, but I wish they would hire a proofreader.
Heck, I just wish they'd hire a truthreader.
   This reliance on (free) bloggers to write pseudo-news to publish is getting irritating.  There is no such thing as fact-checking anymore, and nearly no such thing as Journalistic integrity either.   
IWG wench #3139 

Anna Iram

Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 07, 2012, 01:52:11 PM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 07, 2012, 01:18:44 PM
Heck, I just wish they'd hire a truthreader.
   This reliance on (free) bloggers to write pseudo-news to publish is getting irritating.  There is no such thing as fact-checking anymore, and nearly no such thing as Journalistic integrity either.   

A good lesson for all of us. Use what you read as a springboard for the truth. :)

Rowan MacD

^_^. Exactly.
    It is good to remember that all news journalism in the end, is really just someone's opinion or view of that subject. 
IWG wench #3139 

Captain Teague

What, you mean the Zombie Apocalypse isn't real?   :o

/sarcasm off

;)
The Code is the Law...

iain robb

Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 07, 2012, 02:14:44 PM
^_^. Exactly.
    It is good to remember that all news journalism in the end, is really just someone's opinion or view of that subject. 

I'm sorry, but as a former professional journalist, I have to take issue with that remark.

I wholeheartedly agree that the state of journalism today is abysmal, if not completely missing.

However, as a reporter and then an editor, I found these concepts helpful:

You want to be unbiased? You can't be. You have to know and understand your own biases, and fight against them.

If you're writing about something controversial, and both sides like you, you're missing the real story.
If one side likes you and the other doesn't, you're biased.
If neither side likes you, you're getting it right.

True journalism is the combined effort of many people -- reporters, supervisors and editors -- who have one thing in common: a desire for the truth.

Alas, it is also dead, or at least near death.

iain robb

Sorry -- that was a bit vociferous for a civil discussion of another topic entirely.

I can get worked up as I see the corpse of journalism picked clean by the zombies of today's media.

Merlin the Elder

I'm in total agreement with you, Iain (imagine that!  ;)).  However, I feel that Bradbury would find this discussion pertinent. I used to know people who wrote the truth, but it's been a while.  It's hard enough to find anyone who can still write, much less write truthfully.

The old ad in the comics and magazines..."F U CN RD THS"...turned out to be prophecy, rather than an ad for shorthand.  For every worthwhile novelist that dies, another piece of the language dies with them.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: iain robb on June 07, 2012, 02:38:27 PM
Sorry -- that was a bit vociferous for a civil discussion of another topic entirely.

I can get worked up as I see the corpse of journalism picked clean by the zombies of today's media.

My apologies Ian, my bad.  I should have said today's journalism, with the exception of the few remaining old school journalists.
 The Blogger cum 'journalist' is becoming my pet peeve.  
  There are an alarming amount of people out there who believe that if they see it on the Net it must be true, and the only rule that I can see nowadays is that if it is sensational, it will end up as 'news'.  The real news is all but ignored.
IWG wench #3139