News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ray Bradbury has died...

Started by Rowan MacD, June 06, 2012, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Iram

The state of journalism was pretty abysmal in the last century as well. The Hearst/Pulitzer battle for readership gave rise to the term "yellow press". These guys printed whatever it took. These days it's just much easier to get published and read.

Rowan MacD

You're spot on Anna-The more things change, the more they stay the same...^_^

Frank Luther Mott (1941) defines 'yellow journalism' in terms of five characteristics:

1. Scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news.

2. lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings.

3. use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudoscience, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts.

4. emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips

5. dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

IWG wench #3139 

PollyPoPo

Trying to explain to my high school age grandson that he will (most likely) not be allowed to use Wikipedia as a reference in college lead to an interesting discussion about why, and I actually could visualize some gears turning in his head.

I have a glimmer of hope that he is beginning to critically question what he sees on the screen and learns to distinguish between possible reality and the jabbering of what used to be neighborhood gossips, tin-foil hat enthusiasts, and silly children (many in their 30s and 40s) who like to fantasize that they are fooling all the people in the world with their inane mutterings.

Unfortunately, there are still many out there that react like radio listeners did to Welles' reading of War of the Worlds. 

RIP, Ray Bradbury.  Your "Fahrenheit 451" will continue to serve as a warning to generations about censorship and misinformation.  It is as relevant to the internet today as it was to the printing presses in the 1950s.  You make people think.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rowan MacD

Well said Polly, thank you.

I put aside my current reading and pulled out my copy of Something Wicked-There's a storm coming; I can smell the cotton candy on the wind..
IWG wench #3139