News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The sky was orange!! Damned fires!!

Started by Nighthawk, June 24, 2012, 03:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nighthawk

We thought maybe we should go to the faire today. Got there, noticed the sun was orange, and my allergies were going nuts!! We bought our tickets... and it was right as we were getting ready to go in that I realized- I couldn't take it! The smoke in the air was killing me. My eyes were watering, nose burning... It was terrible. I heard a little while ago that Manitou Springs is under evacuation orders. So with all that in mind, if any of my faire friends need a place to crash throughout the evac, we have a hide-a-bed couch available. If it comes down to that, please feel free to send me a PM.

Merlin the Elder

My best hopes are with the fire fighters... Everyone stay safe...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Baron Frederick

Baron Frederick

Sir Ironhead

I read somewhere that 5000 in Manitou Springs had bailed cause of the fire.  Y'all about to be surrounded.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Edmund Howard

Official website for this fire:

http://www.coemergency.com/2012/06/waldo-canyon-fire-june-24.html

Mandatory evacuations are in place in some areas around Colorado Springs.

There are number of CORF regulars from that area, some on these boards, some not.  Hopefully all are safe.

scarletnyx

Wildfires are scary things that we sadly experienced en masse here in Texas last year. I hope everyone stays safe there, and that it gets contained soon!

2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Wheatie on June 24, 2012, 10:06:54 PM
Official website for this fire:

http://www.coemergency.com/2012/06/waldo-canyon-fire-june-24.html

Mandatory evacuations are in place in some areas around Colorado Springs.

There are number of CORF regulars from that area, some on these boards, some not.  Hopefully all are safe.

Toki and I are on the other side of the state (Ft Collins) Where we have been breathing in the smoke for over 2 weeks now. Have a tone of friends that have lost homes. Lucky for us, we are safe from it, accept breathing in the smoke.

100,000 acres and growing daily from 60% contained to 45 in 1 day and no end in site and more houses in the pathways. Red Feather Lakes area is in the path and a ton of big expensive homes

Lets hope for a wet July to end our Colorado fire season
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

The Rabbi

Amen you guys are in our thoughts with plenty of positive energy coming at ya.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

DonaCatalina

I am hoping for the best. I hope this high pressure front coming down doesn't make things even worse.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rani Zemirah

Praying for rain for all of our friends there in CO, no matter what part of the stay you all live in!  Stay safe, and don't hesitate to get out if you need to!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Sir Ironhead

Just read an article that said the Waldo Canyon fire flared up yesterday and jumped containment lines.  "El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa said 32,000 people had been evacuated, and an Air Force Academy spokesman said the evacuation zone included two communities of single-family homes on academy grounds housing civilian and military personnel and their families."
It went on to say that "the entire community of Mountain Shadows, a northwest subdivision, appeared to be enveloped in an orange glow after dark."

Stay safe up there and let's all pray for rain.

Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack

Sir Ironhead

Correction - just announced on TV that the Air Force Academy has been shut down due to the fires.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack

Merlin the Elder

Blushing posted on FB that she has been evacuated.  This is like Texas last August & September, and summer has just started.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Zoë

It has been a rollercoaster of a week. On Saturday we had a fire in Estes Park, where I live, and we were about 10 miles from the fire line. It was windy and moving in our direction. If there had not been so many firefighters working on the nearby High Park fire, the fire here would have gotten out of hand much faster. I was at Festival and ready to book it back home to evac--which would have been really tough since everything is in boxes right now and I have no idea where anything important is. We are so lucky, but 21 homes still went down. The fire here is out now but it's still very dry and dangerous here so we are really hoping for rain--not just for us but for everyone in the state who is currently in a fire danger zone. My best thoughts to everyone down in the Springs.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

LadyJessica

I'm praying for safety for everyone up there and for no wind and LOT and LOT of rain.

If you got evacuated chenk in when you can so we know that you're safe.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)