News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The sky was orange!! Damned fires!!

Started by Nighthawk, June 24, 2012, 03:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Probably a lot more pleasant than wiping away tears from smoke and soot, also, eh? 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

DonaCatalina

I'm sure that rain is very welcome compared to the prospect of wildfires.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Francisco Paula

I know we hate when its hot and there are fires and we hate when we get downpours but to be honest these are two tools that mother nature uses to clean herself. Yes i know the fire down in colorado springs might have been man made. But have to understand that one time a forest fire would run unchecked to help clean out the dead and un-wanted stuff then she would come through with the rains to bring it back to life.

I know with either the fire or rain there is lost of property and lost of life but mother nature is what she is.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Forest Fires are actually a good thing. As Francisco said it wipes out the dead, cleaning up the land and with all the beetle kill it is the fastest way to clear it out and allow tree's that have been waiting to burst forth and grow. These tree's are safe from Beetle kill and trust me, we have a ton of it and sadly the government (both sides) are not helping with clearing them so fire is the best way.

I guess in 1910 there was a HUGE wild Fire that burned over 3 million acres. It was called The Big Blowup http://k99.com/the-big-blowup-of-1910/
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Merlin the Elder

If they would allow Mother Nature to proceed, the fires would not be nearly as dangerous. It's apparently been the Forestry Service's way of handling things for over 100 years. That makes for a LOT of kindling.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on July 09, 2012, 04:33:28 PM
If they would allow Mother Nature to proceed, the fires would not be nearly as dangerous. It's apparently been the Forestry Service's way of handling things for over 100 years. That makes for a LOT of kindling.

Yep.  Been arguing against this for years.  Each time we put out a fire and leave the dead wood behind, it just makes the next fire that much more likely to spread out of control.  I feel horrible for those who lost their houses in the Springs and up by Fort Collins, but we really, really need a good cleansing mountain fire to try and reset Mother Nature.

I'll point out this link for anyone who wants to read up on it.  It a good read actually.  Take note of the plants that actually need the heat and smoke of fires to grow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ecology

Rani Zemirah

That's what controlled burns (Prescribed burns) are for... and the forest service used to practice them annually.  I thought they still were, but perhaps not.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 09, 2012, 11:34:27 PM
That's what controlled burns (Prescribed burns) are for... and the forest service used to practice them annually.  I thought they still were, but perhaps not.

I cant say with certainty, but I believe they dont do as many controlled burns as they use to.  I know a while back they had several "controlled" burns turn into Uncontrolled burns. 

Zoë

There was a fire this year that started out as a controlled burn and got out of control because of the winds...I can't recall which one it was (sad, means there are too many to remember this year) but it was just a couple of months ago.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Rani Zemirah

I would think that a year with as little snowfall as this one would discourage any sort of burning. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Zoë

Indeed. One can only hope that the weather pattern this coming fall and winter will favor more snowfall. It's really strange living up here in the mountains and not seeing any snow on the peaks when last year there was heavy snowpack nearly all year. The rivers are all down and things are perilously dry. We really need more moisture this year.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Craigmeister

How about permitting logging companies to clean out the dead wood?  That gets rid of a lot kindling without destroying people's homes.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

DonaCatalina

well....a few years back some logging company was hired/permitted to clear dead timber from state lands in East Texas. They took advantage of the lack of supervision to clear cut everything except the fringe of trees nearest the road before they were reported. From what I heard later, the fine was so small, it didn't make a dent in the profit from the illicit timber cutting.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Zoë

Yeah, I'm sure that's an operation that if it were not under the supervision of some huge management (i.e. the Forest Industry) it could be taken advantage of very easily. Part of the problem I'm sure is that the beetle kill areas are just so large there's no way to effectively clear them all away without costing an exorbitant sum of money.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 13, 2012, 01:27:38 PM
well....a few years back some logging company was hired/permitted to clear dead timber from state lands in East Texas. They took advantage of the lack of supervision to clear cut everything except the fringe of trees nearest the road before they were reported. From what I heard later, the fine was so small, it didn't make a dent in the profit from the illicit timber cutting.

Yet if properly supervised (Heck, just once a month walkthrus would do it) this would take a huge chunk out of the fire danger.  Allowing logging in Bettlekill areas, so long as replanting is done, would be another excellent solution.