News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need Stage Show Suggestions

Started by chriscat53, September 15, 2008, 10:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriscat53

Dear Friends,
I am making plans for the last weeks of Faire but recently have started having some additional energy and lung problems from dialysis and scleroderma, which the hills do not help. On the second weekend, trying to navigate up the hill from the Pirate's Pub, I had to stop---I could neither take another breath nor walk another step. Luckily I was right next to a stone wall and after sitting for a few minutes I was OK, because I really truly didn't know what was going to happen next.

Never having been to Celtic Weekend, I hope to go, because I was definitely Irish in another incarnation--a milkmaid during the 1798 Rebellion. (Oddly, my DNA has matches in Northern Ireland). But I can no longer go without a plan. I was delighted to see Arsene Dupin ---I have never actually been able to enjoy a stage show until his because of my hearing problem and RenFair being an outside venue. I've also only seen one joust. I am going to have to stay put a lot instead of walking too much. Is the schedule the same every week? I am going to have to map it out ahead of time because of additional time needed and also travel lightly--no more 3 barrel pirate derringer and sack of doubloons. I'll have to get there early too to sit in the front--although that makes you suspectible to interaction which I won't be able to hear.

Also, what shows do people suggest that don't require close listening to enjoy? The hardest thing about being seriously hearing impaired is not being able to laugh with people so I stopped going to shows.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am afraid this is going to mean the curtailing of activities for me.History and historical costumes are the only things that "do it for me." I'm "sewing as fast I can" this year as a result. 2 Civil War dances (forget the polka and the Gallop and maybe even the reel), a ca. 1790, and an F and I War, between now and November 20.

If the lung stuff plugs in, I'm not sure I'd be a kidney transplant candidate. Ironically, the thing I most fear about a transplant is gaining weight from the steroids and not fitting into my pre-20th c. clothes.  lol 

Sarai

Well, my first though was Aresen of course, since his show doesn't require any listening.

Great Balls of Fire would still be fun to watch. Wilsome does do some talking and he explains a lot to the audience, but his fire eating is still very enjoyable to watch.

SPR the Bagpiper

You could always stop at the bagpipe performances. I hear there's going to be a band performing this weekend...
Raising the Standard