News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

plumage

Started by Ser Niall, June 28, 2012, 09:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Niall

Does anyone have a good resource for acquiring plumage?  I'd like to get a variety, peacock feathers, those big bushy feathers I see coming out of people's caps, etc.  Is this something that a craft store would carry?

thanks!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Master James on August 25, 2010, 12:16:33 PM
Ostrich.com has some good selection but are very expensive.  I've always gotten my feathers here: http://www.tonyhill.net/productCat43986.ctlg  Excellent prices and fantastic service.

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=12862.0
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rennigirl

The big, bushy feathers are ostrich and can come in a variety of lengths and colors.

Any craft store like Michael's or JoAnn's will carry them, but usually not the big long ones for hats. 

Ebay has been a good source for me as well as the local Lover's Lane.  Yep.  A smut shop.  They carry long black or white feathers for a really good price!  :D

Ser Niall

Thanks for the suggestions!  Especially the Lover's Lane one   :D
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Rennigirl on June 28, 2012, 09:18:51 AM
...as well as the local Lover's Lane.  Yep.  A smut shop.  They carry long black or white feathers for a really good price!  :D

Hmm, never thought of that!  lol
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Delireus

While they won't be the big ostrich ones you want, I've found that Hobby Lobby and Joanns have cool feathers combined with other types of feathers, on a metal stick, which can be added to a hat easily. I've bought a nice green color from Hobby Lobby, in the floral section, that had 3 pheasant feathers with some black shiny...uh, rooster feathers? I don't know what sort the smaller ones are, but they look like the tail of a rooster.

- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

gem

I just this weekend saw a display of clearance ostrich feathers at our Michaels! I was kind of surprised because I had never noticed them there before.

Alexandra Johanna

I raided our Hobby Lobby last year because I was making fans and did not have time to order. The ones attached to a stick are pretty good, but you sometimes have to hunt and pick through lots of damaged ones to find nice fluffy long ones. Or maybe that was just our store because they were on sale at the time. They also have smaller packages of feathers usually near the leather working aisle, but these are craft quality or already glued pads, which I used to finish our fans and hide all the gluing.

DonaCatalina

Hobby Lobby and Michaels near us seem to always have more damaged feathers than good ones.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LordPaulet

If you want the big and fluffy look for feminas (ostrich wing feathers) They are fluffiest....take three of these and sew the main veins together this will give you super fluffy....now go and boil a pot of water and use the steam to fluff those babies upp...if you are really ambitious take a butter knife and use the back and curl the fronds (the individual things coming off of the main vein) you curl them kinda like curling a ribbon. 

If you want to order a TON I can get you a half pound of feminas (about 36 feathers) for a decent price.  PM me if interested

Orphena

I've always found the nicest feathers at Micheal's in the FLORAL section. I've seen them at Walmart there too. You may even want to try your local florist - they may have a source for you. Other places I have seen them is in bead stores - and I found a few great stores in downtown Toronto - fashion district, in some of the notions stores.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Marietta Graziella

ostrich.com has gone out of business as of Dec 2011. They highly recommend http://fancyfeather.com/

I just placed an order with them so I'll let you know how it pans out.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Ser Niall

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on July 31, 2012, 09:26:59 AM
ostrich.com has gone out of business as of Dec 2011. They highly recommend http://fancyfeather.com/

Did you receive your order from this site yet?  How was your experience?

I noticed that Joann's has a section with nice looking ostritch and peacock feathers.  They're not exceptionally long, and there aren't many colors (my Joann's only had black and white, and a single green one), but they could do the trick.  I haven't noticed them there before, they might have stocked them due to Halloween.  I might pick some up with the 20% off entire order coupons they have now.

Auryn

Ser Niall
you are luckier than I, my Joanns has no plumage aside from the standard plastic bagged fare
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Marietta Graziella

Quote from: Ser Niall on September 19, 2012, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: Marietta Graziella on July 31, 2012, 09:26:59 AM

Did you receive your order from this site yet?  How was your experience?

I noticed that Joann's has a section with nice looking ostritch and peacock feathers.  They're not exceptionally long, and there aren't many colors (my Joann's only had black and white, and a single green one), but they could do the trick.  I haven't noticed them there before, they might have stocked them due to Halloween.  I might pick some up with the 20% off entire order coupons they have now.

Apologies! I should have posted some time ago.  I did receive my order in a timely fashion. The plumes are fluffy and full. The colors were what I expected with the exception of the orange. It was a bit brighter than I had anticipated from the picture and description.  I will order from them again.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.