News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wars (Pennsic, Estrella, Potrero, Great Western)

Started by Abbot Bubo, June 26, 2008, 12:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiacha

Quote from: solaris on July 03, 2008, 03:47:52 PM
Party calendar is also online. but most of the good ones never get listed. The date change has also screwed a lot up.

Which party calendar are you looking at?  This is the one I have linked...(though it's looking rather bare..)
http://freecal.brownbearsw.com/pennsic37?Date=2008-07-25;KW=Pennsic%20War%20Calendar;Op=ShowIt

Synikul

Quote from: Aiacha on July 03, 2008, 04:01:19 PM
Party calendar is also online. but most of the good ones never get listed. The date change has also screwed a lot up.

Which party calendar are you looking at?  This is the one I have linked...(though it's looking rather bare..)
http://freecal.brownbearsw.com/pennsic37?Date=2008-07-25;KW=Pennsic%20War%20Calendar;Op=ShowIt

Good to see the Bar Wars party will be back this year.

They didn't list "Men Without Pants", "Pandora's Box", "The Pyro Party", or "The Baccanalia". I've heard of a Green Fairy party that I'm determined to find this year, and I've got a bottle of absinthe to bring.

Aiacha

Quote from: Synikul on July 03, 2008, 04:35:51 PM
Quote from: Aiacha on July 03, 2008, 04:01:19 PM

Good to see the Bar Wars party will be back this year.

They didn't list "Men Without Pants", "Pandora's Box", "The Pyro Party", or "The Baccanalia". I've heard of a Green Fairy party that I'm determined to find this year, and I've got a bottle of absinthe to bring.

I poked on the list where people ask to be added and it states that there will be no MWOP party this year.  I didn't see any explanation on why, but I was just skimming the site.  I'll see what I can find out about the Green Fairy Party for you.  I *think* it's invitation only, but I know the people who put it on.  :)

[edit]OK, some info...Pyro Party is on there as the House Gawain Pyro Party...moved for this year
The only other I saw info on that's not on the calendar is Vlad's Slave Auction- Aug 2 and the Masked Ball - aug 5.

Check out this site... http://tribes.tribe.net/darkthirty 
...also, look for the Pennsic Potables tribe

[edit 2] and Pandora's Box is now Springwood Forest

Synikul

Should we take this as an answer to the question of having a section for SCA events?

DeadBishop

I moved the topic since it went from a question to a discussion.  Our team of moderators are currently discussing and trying to decide if this idea will be a good fit for our online community.

R/F.com member since 2003

DonaCatalina

Take no more than the cooler's worth of canned/pkged goods
Paper plates are god's gift to the cleanup crew, especially in the morning
when you want to get to the battlefield or to a class.
One large candle lantern and two small candle lanterns are sufficient
Freeze a couple of jugs of water ( less a cup or so) and take enough quick
fix food for a quick meal upon camp set up
Take a dozen clothespins -- close chip bags and many other uses
Ants find cereal boxes irresistable: the Seringeti is one giant ant hill. It is cooler to camp down in the valley, but it's a long hike uphill to where all the shopping and food is.
Take a least a dozen 2 " safety pins -- clothing repairs, tent repairs, ad
nauseum

Take a walking staff- the ground is uneven from old firepits and sump holes,
the parking lot is a minefield of gopher holes
Take lots of garbage bags

Eat lunch at the food court, don't cook lunch most days -- you can grab a
snack between classes - heck most days you might not have to cook at all.

Abstain from dubious brews at large parties -- " Sea Water" " Blue Smurf
P!$$", " Ansteorran Death Wish", the infamous "Strawberry Surprise" ,etc.

A matress cover made out of polar fleece sounds hot, but it won't absorb water the same way that cotton sheets will. You'll sleep a lot drier.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

solaris

They stopped having fun throwing the pants party, it became too much of a chore. The green fairy party is going to be held by the same camp as usual but I tend to ignore that one as i find the taste of absinth repulsive. I can't handel camping on the getti I stick to the swamp.

Abbot Bubo

Unfortunately, I'm out on the west coast (Las Vegas) and neither myself nor anyone from any of my clans will be attending Pennsic.  However, we're planning on getting a caravan together for next year.  Most of us have never been to Pennsic but keep hearing about how fun it is...please keep posting updates about it and any info/suggestions you might have for us in regards to next year.  We're hoping to get about 20 of us to make the journey cross country.  We'll be attending fall Potrero War in September and Great Western War in October.  If anyone will be attending either, please let me know.  I'm the founder of the Holy Order of the Monastery of the Spoon, a member of Brazen Thunder and also the kingdom of Novis Principium.  I am friends with House Leviathan whom we camp with at Potrero War. 

DonaCatalina

Estrella War might be a better choice for those of you on the west coast. It's 200 some odd days away. But that's just more time for planning.
While it's not as big or well known as Pennsic, many people find it more fun because it's more laid back.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Abbot Bubo

Estrella War is a blast...I've been the past few years...next year is Estrella XXV, we're trying to get as many people to go as possible.  May was my first Potrero and we're planning on going to the Fall Potrero as well.  We're torn between Great Western War and Vegas Faire as they coincide this year. 

Margrett

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 04, 2008, 08:12:22 AM
. . .

Thanks for the advice! Some of it is already on my list/notes, but I didn't think to put clothespins on the list. Luckily, I'm not in the Serengeti, though I'll have lots of walking. I'm in E19, next to the lake (assuming we don't get moved).

I'm already planning my classes--I am SOO looking forward to this!

Margrett

Synikul

Quote from: Margrett on July 07, 2008, 10:14:08 PM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 04, 2008, 08:12:22 AM
Paper plates are god's gift to the cleanup crew, especially in the morning
when you want to get to the battlefield or to a class.
One large candle lantern and two small candle lanterns are sufficient
Freeze a couple of jugs of water ( less a cup or so) and take enough quick
fix food for a quick meal upon camp set up
Take a dozen clothespins -- close chip bags and many other uses
Ants find cereal boxes irresistable: the Seringeti is one giant ant hill. It is cooler to camp down in the valley, but it's a long hike uphill to where all the shopping and food is.
Take a least a dozen 2 " safety pins -- clothing repairs, tent repairs, ad
nauseum

Take a walking staff- the ground is uneven from old firepits and sump holes,
the parking lot is a minefield of gopher holes
Take lots of garbage bags

Eat lunch at the food court, don't cook lunch most days -- you can grab a
snack between classes - heck most days you might not have to cook at all.

Abstain from dubious brews at large parties -- " Sea Water" " Blue Smurf
P!$$", " Ansteorran Death Wish", the infamous "Strawberry Surprise" ,etc.

A matress cover made out of polar fleece sounds hot, but it won't absorb water the same way that cotton sheets will. You'll sleep a lot drier.

Thanks for the advice! Some of it is already on my list/notes, but I didn't think to put clothespins on the list. Luckily, I'm not in the Serengeti, though I'll have lots of walking. I'm in E19, next to the lake (assuming we don't get moved).

I'm already planning my classes--I am SOO looking forward to this!

Margrett

I'm in E19 too, right next door to Pentwyvern. It's worth the walking to have shade, and the best parties are in the swamp anyway.

Margrett

Quote from: Synikul on July 08, 2008, 01:02:04 AM

I'm in E19 too, right next door to Pentwyvern. It's worth the walking to have shade, and the best parties are in the swamp anyway.

I'm in Tengusanji with Kuji.

solaris

Aiacha