News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2012 summer youth camp begun yesterday

Started by rengypsy, July 09, 2012, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

sherwood launched its first summer youth camp yesterday--this was my partner's dream.  i had my doubts, but after dropping off my two boys there yesterday, ages 11 and 13, i am convinced it will be one of the best summer camps in the nation in years to come.  the experiences they will have in the next five days will be amazing.  blacksmithing, leather work, archery, pottery, stained glass, theatre, nature awareness with a special focus on native plants, and much much more.  yesterday, robin hood and lord guy of gisbourn fought before the parents and kids...and robin was fortunate enough to win the battle, take gold from his coffers and distribute to the campers.  last night, the 42 kids learned and experienced drumming and danced around a campfire at the seven sisters.  it will be lifechanging.  i commend george's vision and cori roberts and co for all the hard work they have accomplished in preparing for this camp.  next year, i would bet there will be in excess of 200 kids roaming this magical forest and learning from the artisans of our village community.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Mead Swilling Lech

I tip my hat to you and your partner.  This sounds like summer camp the way I remember it and I can't think of anything better for a youth.  Getting kids outdoors is not something easily done in this day and age, so anything which encourages this gets my full support.  Hopefully, finances work out next year so that we can send our older one.
Whiskey was invented to keep us Irish from ruling the world.

PollyPoPo

Thank you, Rengypsy, for giving us a glimpse into the activities. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Glaodian

--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

Ginette

How about a camp for the young at heart and we can learn and participate in all the same activates?    :)
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Bob of the Lake

Quote from: Ginette on July 10, 2012, 09:36:32 AM
How about a camp for the young at heart and we can learn and participate in all the same activates?    :)

That's kind of how I view faire already!  :)
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Ginette

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on July 10, 2012, 11:48:45 AM
Quote from: Ginette on July 10, 2012, 09:36:32 AM
That's kind of how I view faire already!  :)

I was thinking more along the lines of blacksmithing, leather work, archery, pottery, stained glass, theatre, nature awareness with a special focus on native plants.  I don't have a chance to learn these things at faire.   
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

rengypsy

word has it that 42 kids have taken over sherwood for the week and the magical forest has embraced them in its fullness. i hear from reliable sources that they are apprenticing in many a craft and will become part of the next generations to act as guild and clan leaders, artists, artisans, actors and minstrels. the fae whisper approval and have welcomed them with dance and song within the sacred seven sisters. yes, indeed, something quite mystical and wonderful is happening within these woods.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

PollyPoPo

As for an adult camp adventure possibility, a post showed up on Sherwood's Facebook page where someone asked about camp for adults.  Reply was yes, next year probably.

So,maybe in the future. :)
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)