News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Same tune different words

Started by Eddie, July 11, 2012, 11:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie

While driving with my brother and the ipod on shuffle Jim Hancock's Blackbird came on and we started debating wheather or not it was the same tune as Heath to the Company just with different words took it off shuffle and moved to Heath to the company and sure enough the tune was the same just a little faster. So 2 questions, 1.) which one came first I say Blackbird he says Health? and 2.) just how many other songs are like that?

iain robb

Well, I almost replied the "Health to the Company" is an ancient traditional song and "Blackbird" dates to about 1860. But I had it confused with another traditional fair-ending song, "The Parting Glass." Not sure how old "Health to the Company" is, but it's certainly been recorded by enough people.

As far as same tune, different lyrics, there are a lot. But the only one that spring to mind is "The Mary Ellen Carter" and a variation of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."

dbaldock

I know that Bob Bielefeld (of Cantiga, New World Renaissance Band, and Burly Minstrels) knows a lot about Renaissance Music History, so I posted your question on his Facebook Wall.

Edit:  I've also posted on Jim's Facebook Wall, asking him this question...

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

iain robb

Well, there you go, ruining perfectly good speculation by going after facts. What kind of person are you?  :)

dbaldock

So far, two different people have given two different answers...   :o   ;D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

Joyce Lillquist (Gypsy Guerrilla Band) did some research, and posted this answer to my question on Bob Bielefeld's Facebook Wall -

Joyce Lillquist - "After reading more, and checking out some places...world history places "Here's a Health to the Company" in 1875 and "If I was a Blackbird" was around the turn of the century and made popular in 1904 by Deila Murphy. They are both fabulous songs and fit in Renaissance Faires."

Eddie

dbaldock

On Jim Hancock's Facebook Wall, he wrote:

Jim Hancock - "They are very similar. I try to never do them in the same set. ..."