News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey (part I)

Started by DonaCatalina, July 13, 2012, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on October 24, 2012, 07:10:29 AM
Yes! I want to re-read it too but my son has my copy and he lives in another state.  :( Guess it's roadtrip time!

I think I'm on my third copy. The original was read so much that it started to look ragged.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Poldugarian Warrior

Have this one and the second after this one on old VHS the original cartoon versions of this story, ought to be good in real-life.

Craigmeister

I used to listen to the band "The Police" a lot in the 80's.  I've never officially heard but have wondered if Gordon Sumner took the name "Sting" from Bilbo's sword in The Hobbit.  Does anyone have any insight on this?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Auryn

Craigmeister
he got the name cause he used to wear a yellow and black striped sweater all the time that made him look like a bumblebee

I need to call our local theatre to see if they will allow costumes for the premier showing.
most definitely planning on buying tickets tomorrow when they go on sale
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Craigmeister

That's funny.

Call me a buzzkill but I'm going to wait a few days after the movie comes out & see a matinee.  I'd not thought of dressing up in my Robin Hood garb to see the show.  It doesn't really fit in w/ the theme anyway.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I have a first edition, hard back, Hobbit... as well as first ed. LOTR... the ones with the colored gold leaf on the covers.  8)  These are a worth a good bit to me and i would run back into a burning building to save them.  I keep them in a shadow box, under lock & key, and only remove them for personal reading... about once every other year.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Hoowil

Quote from: Craigmeister on November 09, 2012, 12:12:11 AM
That's funny.

Call me a buzzkill but I'm going to wait a few days after the movie comes out & see a matinee.  I'd not thought of dressing up in my Robin Hood garb to see the show.  It doesn't really fit in w/ the theme anyway.
Just get a group to go barefoot, in the hobbit manner.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

iain robb

Quote from: Hoowil on November 09, 2012, 09:18:52 AM
That's funny.

Just get a group to go barefoot, in the hobbit manner.

On a theater floor? EWWWWW!

Auryn

QuoteOn a theater floor? EWWWWW!

agreed
the theater said they would permit costumes as long there are no masks.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Auryn

SOO
Saw the movie last night and its completely brilliant.

Rowan MacD

I don't do opening days for kid/family movies, especially those based on a popular book series. Ever. 
  Too crowded, too many young kids, and too many 'talkers' in the audience doing scene-by-scene critiques. There are also teens invariably texting away about the movie, even though phones are supposed to be turned off.   
  A couple times a month I split the last day of the work week between Friday and Saturday.  The first matinee on a Friday afternoon before the kids are out of school is the best time to go.  The theater is about 2/3 full, and no lines to wait in.   By the time we leave, we are usually walking past a large queue for the next showing.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on December 14, 2012, 04:47:04 AM
we are going to see the 11:00am showing at the Venitian Theater.
Enjoy! We want to see this, but we still have some work to do on the house before Christmas.  We haven't even put up a tree yet.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Craigmeister

I'm looking at a matinee on Monday for my viewing...

RenStarr

Saw it yesterday evening.  My take...........
Visually stunning.  Lots of excellent animation which doesn't look like animation at all.  I understand it was filmed in New Zealand, the scenery at times was WOW. 
Cast - Excellent.  The group of dwarfs are interesting, and at times very funny.  Actor that played a young Bilbo totally pulled it off. 
Story moves along pretty good for a movie that's 170 minutes long.  A few spots that were alittle slow, but for the most part....things flowed real well.
Several "items" and several characters that were in the LOTR were back. 
Enjoyed it allot!! 

I would give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night