News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sleeve Eye Candy thread

Started by gem, July 18, 2012, 03:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wickedvox

Quote from: gem on July 19, 2012, 04:19:33 PM
Wicked, those are the same sleeves I'm thinking about for the pink corset, but I'm nervous about the sizing, after my last MA sleeve experience. I'm hoping to Frankenpattern them

HA! Frankenpattern! Love it! I find that wrapping the pattern piece around my arm and using that as a quide.

Quote from: gem on July 19, 2012, 04:19:33 PMI need to dig out my pattern and have a look at it, because I like reversible sleeves (you have to line them, anyway), and I have no idea if I can do what I want with trim &c (was thinking one side pink damask and black trim, like the corset, and the reverse black linen and pinked suede, like the skirt).

I agree with the reversible sleeve idea. I'm going to see how this plain pair goes first, then I'm sure I'll be making sleeves for everything lol! I like your ideas for color and trim also. I want to be just like you when I grow up lol!

P.S. Ill be posting the finished bodice by tomorrow night. Along with an *awesome* pair of ruffle butt bloomers I whipped up on a whim *squee!* Every girl should have ruffle butt bloomers!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

gem

I'm adding this link to a beautiful Tudor Tailor-based gown by Angel Stitches, which has a really lovely, soft color scheme of cream and sage green. I can't remember why I originally found it, but the fur sleeves are definitely one of the things I remembered most about it!

http://www.parchmentandpcs.com/Images/Gowns/16th%20Century/TudorAng.png

Rani Zemirah

These are all so wonderful!  I would love to make a set of sleeves for my daughter's garb, since she's been wanting something to make it just a bit fancier... and I've been toying with the idea of making a pair of purely fantasy sleeves to wear with my Moresca Pirate bodice, as well.  Just something for fun...  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Cilean

Quote from: gem on July 18, 2012, 03:59:46 PM
Cilean, we need to see the finished woven ribbon sleeves for your Margo Iron Dress!

Gem! Ask and ye shall receive!  Here are the sleeves done with embroidery and pearls.

This gown is roughly taken from German and Italian influence:

I would say the sleeves are the Cranach Gown type 1530's sleeves. Here is a kind of how to, to create these sleeves.
http://www.clanwolfhaven.com/cecilias_workshop/german_gown_sleeves.html

Now check this gown which is Venetian and this is one of the gowns from Ever After:

cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

gem

Jen Thompson of Festive Attyre recently posted a collection of illustrations of late sixteenth century female musicians that is just spectacular. She doesn't have a lot of information about them, but they look to have a German influence to me, and tho' I can't see the captions well enough to tell what language they are, it too looks sort of German-like. The gowns are all intricately detailed, but what caught my eye particularly were the extreme, over-the-top sleeves. Check these out:

This one is my favorite. I think it might hint at the beginnings of inspiration for the Greensleeves Gown:

...And now I want to make my MIL a version of the sackbut player's dress (she plays the trumpet)! DROOL!!!

You can see the full set at the link above.

operafantomet

Quote from: gem on July 19, 2012, 06:26:44 PM
These two are confusing--they're either by or after Andrea Solario, and represent either Salome with the head of John the Baptist, or Judith and the head of Holorfernes... but that's irrelevant. This is all about the SLEEVES!! I think these are more fantastical than realistic, but they're definitely great inspiration:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Andrea_Solario_-_Salome_with_the_Head_of_St_John_the_Baptist_-_WGA21610.jpg/505px-Andrea_Solario_-_Salome_with_the_Head_of_St_John_the_Baptist_-_WGA21610.jpg

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL417/1033223/17480040/403435782.jpg

(I've actually seen two different versions of this painting, and I don't know enough about them to add any more than that, but the other can be seen here.)

Usually Judith is depicted with her maid and is actively carrying the head or even in the process of cutting it off. If the head is instead presented to her on a platter it's more likely a depiction of Salome.

Said the art historian.

And I think you're right about biblical women often getting fantastical sleeves. They have more tabs, slashes, pearls and whatever, to mark them as exotic women. They're totally eye candy, though!

Marietta Graziella

All of these sleeves are positively inspiring! Still, I am struggling to come up with the right sleeve idea for my first ever attempt at am upper class gown. I have limited yardage of the main gown color as well as the purple underskirt.

I know you are a clever group. Who has thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=395536667171013&set=a.395536303837716.86601.100001440490504&type=3&theater
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

gem

I know we're all about the eye candy, and *you're* all about the over-the-top ( ;D!), but I think I'd go simple. Can you do hanging sleeves from the main fabric, possibly with a border (at the bottom) of the purple? (Or the fringe!! How fun would that be?!)

Or I might do plain sleeves in some beautiful cream or pale gold fabric (damask or silk or maybe even velveteen), embellished with simple beading--pearls or small gold beads.

Either of these will make the ensemble look "finished," which I think is what you want, yes? But neither of them will compete with the overall look.

DonaCatalina

Do you have any fabric like the guards on the underskirt?
A simple tube that is open from just above the elbow, but beaded would finish off the overall look without detracting from the dress itself.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Marietta Graziella

I had to laugh at your post, Gem. Since when is my garb ever simple or subtle?!  LOL

Dona Catalina, I do have quite a bit of that same guard fabric. It used to be a stripe on one of 3 curtains I found at the thrift store on $1.49 day! Since I was intending to use it as "trim" I didn't worry about the fiber content.

I have pulled some of this apart and have added a 2 inch wide gold trim piece with the same purple bead clusters down the front openings of the skirt. The trim piece is the same as the one boardering the underskirt at the bottom. I also added a gold cord just above the purple "floof" on the underskirt. It's a very messy trim but I thought it added some whimsy. I can't be *too* serious! The skirt will be repleated to remove the buckling at that first pleat and it will be set wider apart in the front to show more of the underskirt.

I am also pondering doing a layer of skirting in the deep teal underneath those tabs to make them pop a little bit more. A gold braid boarder was suggested but damned if I want to do that much hand sewing (I know she's right, it would look great but, ugh!).

Also adding a stomacher in the deep teal to cover the lacing. I know, it will also cover some of the rows of beading and my perfectly matching pattern in the center but the bodice is just a bit too simple.

I still require a belt/girdle of some sort. I don't really *need* the pouch because I put pockets into the side seams of the skirt. I *LOVE* those!! I pleated so the opening is on the back side of the pleat and totally unseen.

I am also changing the jewelry. The necklace here is vintage, my Grandmothers, and one of the cords broke at Bristol. We rescued some of the beads but it all has to be redone.

I'm having fun with these colors but this gown is not yet MG enough.

LadyFae

Psst, MG, I know this AWESOME chick that would make you a custom girdle. Let me know if you're interested, I can get you her info. LOL!!! ;)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

DonaCatalina

I think this is from MNRF; though I don't know for sure.
But on the black dress in front; these are one of the sleeve types I was thinking of for MG. They would allow air movement and not be as warm as more closely fitted sleeves.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on August 06, 2012, 05:43:23 PM
All of these sleeves are positively inspiring! Still, I am struggling to come up with the right sleeve idea for my first ever attempt at am upper class gown. I have limited yardage of the main gown color as well as the purple underskirt.

I know you are a clever group. Who has thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=395536667171013&set=a.395536303837716.86601.100001440490504&type=3&theater

I'd use the navy blue of the underskirt for the sleeves, make a simple, narrow trapezoid, and then use any of the orange fabric as trim to hide the seam.  Or, take a matching orange trim to make horizontal bands down the length of the sleeve (the key is to do this before sewing up the seam).  What they did in period was, if it was too hot or you didn't want to wear your sleeves that day, you just tie them to the dress.  You don't put your arms through them and the sleeves themselves could be held back with a belt or apron strings.  That way, they were still there in case you needed them later but they also served to show off more of the "decorative" work of the dress.

Marietta Graziella

Thank you so much for the ideas, all. 

I am sorry for thread-jacking, this just seemed the perfect place to find arm pretties!  :)

LadyFae

I'd use the gold for sleeves and trim them in the purple, perhaps add teal beads or ribbons, as well. (Yes, I'm telling you to hand sew some more!)   
I like having my sleeves match my underskirt instead of my main gown.  If you recall from my yellow noble, I have the long hanging sleeves- yellow on outside, wine on the inside (so that from behind they blend more with the gown but from the front they POP!)  My tie on sleeves are the same green and gold as my underskirt.  If I'm not wearing them on my arms I just let them hang behind (you once called them "saucy.")
You could do double duty on your sleeves and make them "openable."  Button them closed for warmth and undbutton them for hanging coolness.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"