News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sleeve Eye Candy thread

Started by gem, July 18, 2012, 03:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marietta Graziella

Quote from: LadyFae on August 08, 2012, 09:51:43 AM
I'd use the gold for sleeves and trim them in the purple, perhaps add teal beads or ribbons, as well. (Yes, I'm telling you to hand sew some more!)   
I like having my sleeves match my underskirt instead of my main gown.  If you recall from my yellow noble, I have the long hanging sleeves- yellow on outside, wine on the inside (so that from behind they blend more with the gown but from the front they POP!)  My tie on sleeves are the same green and gold as my underskirt.  If I'm not wearing them on my arms I just let them hang behind (you once called them "saucy.")
You could do double duty on your sleeves and make them "openable."  Button them closed for warmth and undbutton them for hanging coolness.

Fae, yer killin' me, girl! When are you coming over to help with all this hand sewing?! :-\  BTW, I would *LOVE* to take you up on the girdle but I have no idea what I want/need. I've never had one so I'm lost.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

LadyFae

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on August 08, 2012, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: LadyFae on August 08, 2012, 09:51:43 AM
I'd use the gold for sleeves and trim them in the purple, perhaps add teal beads or ribbons, as well. (Yes, I'm telling you to hand sew some more!)   
I like having my sleeves match my underskirt instead of my main gown.  If you recall from my yellow noble, I have the long hanging sleeves- yellow on outside, wine on the inside (so that from behind they blend more with the gown but from the front they POP!)  My tie on sleeves are the same green and gold as my underskirt.  If I'm not wearing them on my arms I just let them hang behind (you once called them "saucy.")
You could do double duty on your sleeves and make them "openable."  Button them closed for warmth and undbutton them for hanging coolness.

I help Amy with most of her hand sewing, so I'm game!  Also, she'll have awesome ideas for you for your girdle.  Sounds to me like we need another S&B.  And more work will be done than just watching Trish.   ;D

Fae, yer killin' me, girl! When are you coming over to help with all this hand sewing?! :-\  BTW, I would *LOVE* to take you up on the girdle but I have no idea what I want/need. I've never had one so I'm lost.

Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

gem

Does anyone recognize this portrait? I stumbled across it on etsy, but there was no attribution given. It looks Spanish, but I've never seen anything like those slashed oversleeves!

The chevron-striped undersleeves (not to mention the ruched skirt!) are no slouches, either.

isabelladangelo

Rowan MacD

Anne of Austria -points artfully tied....apparently all the way up the sleeve opening!

Unknown woman-slashed sleeves
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Margaret

I saw the darling Francesca at faire yesterday.  Here's some more sleeve action for you all.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Rani Zemirah

Wow... those are absolutely stunning!  I would love to see a close up of the detail on the red diamond points.  I can't quite tell what she has holding them together, but they are different than the pearls on the gold/red diamonds.  Just gorgeous, though!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Francesca DC

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on September 09, 2012, 04:17:04 PM
Wow... those are absolutely stunning!  I would love to see a close up of the detail on the red diamond points.  I can't quite tell what she has holding them together, but they are different than the pearls on the gold/red diamonds.  Just gorgeous, though!!! 

http://www.mobile-boutique.com/7filigreeantiquegoldsliderbeads2holebeads7569.aspx

Link to yhe slider beads I used... Be warned you will be tempted and quite possible spend lots of money there!
Do not lead me into temptation, I'll find it all by myself.

Rani Zemirah

Ooooh... pretty!!!  And yes... had I any money to spend, I would be spending lots of it there!!!  ;D 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

iain robb

Gosh, those sleeves are gorgeous, and that was a great way to use those beads. I was able to tear myself away from the bead site only by telling myself, over and over, "You have enough projects already. You have enough projects already." I'd better go sew something before I go back.

Marietta Graziella

Here is a the sleeve on the new gown I just finished. I had minimal fabric to work with so I had to be creative in getting lots of detail and color in.
The panes are strips of the teal or the purple on one side, backed by the orange; alternated and given a half twist. The teal was the perfect color but it lacked texture so nearly all of it was gathered then hit with a very hot iron to melt it just a bit to give it some interest. Since it is used only for "trim" I wasn't worried about the fiber content. The gold puffing out is the same fabric as the bottom of the forepart. The gold band is what lined the top and bottom of the golden poofs. The beads are the same as the bodice just sewn on in a different configuration. The sleeves are attached under the sleeve cap with elastics covered with the ribbon, wrapped over large vintage purple pearls so I can put them on or take them off on my own. The tassels are the same as on the over skirt. Are they too much?  According to Jayne the Phool at Bristol, "Excess is almost enough" when it comes to garb.  :D
I absolutely love them!!

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Ser Niall

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on September 16, 2012, 08:09:03 PM
it lacked texture so nearly all of it was gathered then hit with a very hot iron to melt it just a bit to give it some interest. Since it is used only for "trim" I wasn't worried about the fiber content.

Very creative, I would never have thought about doing something like that.  The sleeve is amazing, as is the whole gown.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

CalliopeCC

Wow, those are wonderful sleeves!  Texure, details and bling! It's nice to have something a bit different than everyone.

Gorgeous work MG!

LadyFae

Here is a the sleeve on the new gown I just finished. I had minimal fabric to work with so I had to be creative in getting lots of detail and color in.
The panes are strips of the teal or the purple on one side, backed by the orange; alternated and given a half twist. The teal was the perfect color but it lacked texture so nearly all of it was gathered then hit with a very hot iron to melt it just a bit to give it some interest. Since it is used only for "trim" I wasn't worried about the fiber content. The gold puffing out is the same fabric as the bottom of the forepart. The gold band is what lined the top and bottom of the golden poofs. The beads are the same as the bodice just sewn on in a different configuration. The sleeves are attached under the sleeve cap with elastics covered with the ribbon, wrapped over large vintage purple pearls so I can put them on or take them off on my own. The tassels are the same as on the over skirt. Are they too much?  According to Jayne the Phool at Bristol, "Excess is almost enough" when it comes to garb.  :D
I absolutely love them!!

I loved them in sketch and they're even better in reality!   ;D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Lady Gregory

The panes are strips of the teal or the purple on one side, backed by the orange; alternated and given a half twist. The teal was the perfect color but it lacked texture so nearly all of it was gathered then hit with a very hot iron to melt it just a bit to give it some interest. Since it is used only for "trim" I wasn't worried about the fiber content. The gold puffing out is the same fabric as the bottom of the forepart. The gold band is what lined the top and bottom of the golden poofs. The beads are the same as the bodice just sewn on in a different configuration. The sleeves are attached under the sleeve cap with elastics covered with the ribbon, wrapped over large vintage purple pearls so I can put them on or take them off on my own. The tassels are the same as on the over skirt. Are they too much?  According to Jayne the Phool at Bristol, "Excess is almost enough" when it comes to garb.  :D
I absolutely love them!!

Just gorgeous.  Do you happen to have a full frontal pic of the garb with the sleeves attached?  Would love to see how they look next to the epaulets.