News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sleeve Eye Candy thread

Started by gem, July 18, 2012, 03:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

I kind of prefer the portrait without the heart.
  There is just something jarring about that 'Barbie-ish' piece of childish jewelry on an attempt at an Elizabethan portrait.   The result is slightly less garish without it!
  LOL ;D
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Rowen MacD on September 04, 2013, 03:07:04 PM
I kind of prefer the portrait without the heart.
  There is just something jarring about that 'Barbie-ish' piece of childish jewelry on an attempt at an Elizabethan portrait.   The result is slightly less garish without it!
  LOL ;D
I agree.  ;D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Portraits of Barbara Radziwill- provenance unknown on some 1530-1553 ish

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rani Zemirah

I was scrolling through a search link earlier which our Gem posted in response to another thread, and ran across the link to Silverstah's Red Venetian, with the gold and red demi-sleeve that she used, and really, I just fell in love with the look of it!  It's fairly simple looking, and yet it transforms the whole look of the gown into something truly special... and it also looks comfortable enough to wear on extremely warm days, which is very much a plus for those of us who attend Faire during the warmer months!  I just had to the photo here!  I hope she won't mind...

This was created before she started keeping her wonderful dress diaries, so there is only a short page with a very few more photos, but it's well worth the look! 

http://www.silverstah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/s640x4802.jpg
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

gem

More Isabel de Valois sleeves:

From this 1605 portrait by Juan Pantoja de la Cruz:

(I think we may have looked at them last year when Dona C was making her new green gown!)

gem

Time to bump this thread up!  ;D

Puzzling through the puffed paned sleeves on the Tudor Tailor English Fitted Gown, I stumbled across this Pinterest board, which fits right in with this thread! It's not all Renaissance, but quite a lot of the pins are sleeves on re-enactors' costumes (as opposed to portraits).

Historical Sleeves on Pinterest

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: gem on July 09, 2014, 02:32:12 PM

Puzzling through the puffed paned sleeves on the Tudor Tailor English Fitted Gown, I stumbled across this Pinterest board, which fits right in with this thread! It's not all Renaissance, but quite a lot of the pins are sleeves on re-enactors' costumes (as opposed to portraits).

Darn you, Gem! Now my productivity today is shot, LOL!

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Lady Rosalind on July 10, 2014, 08:17:35 AM
Quote from: gem on July 09, 2014, 02:32:12 PM

Darn you, Gem! Now my productivity today is shot, LOL!

And now I found the sleeves for my red gown!!!!

B1981.25.444 by LadyRosalindWoodville, on Flickr

Rowan MacD

IWG wench #3139 

Rani Zemirah

Wow... amazing, but it looks like it would take all day to pull those puffs through the slashes!  Well... unless they are faux puffs, anyway.  Will yours be your actual chemise sleeves puffed through the openings, or an attached lining? 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 13, 2014, 08:04:05 PM
Wow... amazing, but it looks like it would take all day to pull those puffs through the slashes!  Well... unless they are faux puffs, anyway.  Will yours be your actual chemise sleeves puffed through the openings, or an attached lining?

Faux puffs.   ;D There is evidence that they were used for things like this.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Lady Rosalind on July 14, 2014, 09:34:33 AM

Careful so you do not out shine the queen  ;D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on July 14, 2014, 11:26:00 AM

Careful so you do not out shine the queen  ;D

Of course, Gauwyn!

Rowan MacD

The faux puffs are HA, especially in the Tudor and Elizabethan periods, where there were frequently dozens of poufs on a single sleeve. Quite a time saver!

I am now sold on making some paned cap (demi) sleeves for a bodice....they go so well with sleeves of this type.
   Should they be stuffed (puffy) or left to drape as they will?
IWG wench #3139 

Rani Zemirah

Yes, I've seen that elsewhere.  Definitely a time saver!  I can't even imagine taking the time to do that every time the sleeves were worn!  I suppose if you had an army of lady's maids to dress you, though, it wouldn't take much time at all.  I guess that's one of the perks of being noble...  ;)  heheh
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede