News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pubsing Songs

Started by Koshiba, July 25, 2012, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koshiba

So this will be my 12th year attending NYRF, but it was only last year that we discovered the Pubsing (don't ask me how we missed it for a decade, I don't even know). It seems really awesome, but! Everyone there seems to know all the songs and we...don't. I love a good sing-along but it's hard to participate when you don't know any of the words. Could anyone point me in the direction of lyrics to some of the songs commonly sung?

Bob of the Lake

Well met, Koshiba! NYRF is my home faire too and you'll find me at Pub Sing each time I visit. You never know which songs they'll perform at Pub sing (there have been many memorable original performances too!) but there are a number of standards that tend to pop up.

At NYRF, they generally close with "Wild Mountain Thyme," although they will sometimes sing "Health to the Company" instead so those are two you may want to learn. Some others that are often performed are "The Wild Rover," "Sailor's Prayer" (Crimson Pirates version!), "Finnegan's Wake," "I'll Tell My Ma," and "Tom o' Bedlam." Of course there are many others but you'll pick them up over time.  :)

Here's a couple of good places to find lyrics to some of the most popular faire songs (I'm sure there are others):

Renaissance Festival Podcast : http://renaissancefestivalmusic.com/2007/06/faire-lyrics/ 

Brobdingnagian Bards: http://thebards.net/music/

Good luck, and maybe we will run into each other at Pub Sing--I should be there Opening Day!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Koshiba

Ah, thanks so much for the info and the links. I thought I remembered hearing "Health to the Company" (the name sounded familiar), but the lyrics aren't ringing any bells. I remember a slowish song that had a really easy to pick up chorus that I was able to join in on, but of course none of it stuck with me.  ::)

I work most Saturdays so the days I'm going will all be Sundays. I'll be there Sunday of opening weekend, looks like I'll miss you by a day.  ;)

Bob of the Lake

You're welcome! I sometimes go on Sundays also so who knows--our paths may cross!  :D
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Green Monk

Sometimes they hand out song sheets at pub sing.

Koshiba

That would've been handy. Sadly, they didn't either of the times I went. Ah well.

Is it creepy to say I've seen you around Faire? You're just very noticeable.  ;)

Green Monk

not creepy I am hard to miss :-)
hope to see this year !

Koshiba

Got a bit damp today. ;) Skipped pub sing due to downpour (though of course it had died down considerably by the time we reached the car), but I did see the Green Monk again. I actually was seated directly across from you at the first chess match, good sir.  ;D

Green Monk

BLAKDUKE

I AM LOOKING FOR THE LYRICS TO THE SONG "COMPANION"  ANY HELP OUT HERE?????????????????
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel