News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How do you keep time?

Started by insidiousraven, August 01, 2012, 08:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insidiousraven

To make it to performances and events, how do you keep time?  Do you have a watch hidden in a pouch or a piece of jewelry?  Do you just ask patrons the time?

This is my first faire, and since I'm a musician instead of an actor, I'm a little wary of interacting too much with the patrons. 

Thanks!

The Rabbi

I personally carry alot of the mundane junk in my pouch however there is a company out there that creates clip clocks that are time pieces hidden in jewelery and on my list of things to get. Not interacting with the patrons just give that time but do not fear after all they too for the most part are Rennies and unless required by management or trying superhard to stay in character I would not be overly concerned with BFA play with it and have fun. By the way send me some info on your act if you would like to travel to Oklahoma in May I need performers and we are a great place to break the ice.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

BubbleWright

I use a Clip Clock too. I bought the do-it-yourself clip and added a PaRenFaire.Netters' pin. Check out the website-

http://www.clipclocks.com/

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lady Nicolette

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on August 01, 2012, 11:03:46 PM
I wear one of these hung upon my belt.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e56d/?cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=&CJID=2275685

I like this, just bought one.

For M'Lady I found an ornate cross with a small clock on the back on the Internet.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

iain robb

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on August 02, 2012, 05:26:33 AM
Quote from: Lady Nicolette on August 01, 2012, 11:03:46 PM
I wear one of these hung upon my belt.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e56d/?cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=&CJID=2275685

I like this, just bought one.

For M'Lady I found an ornate cross with a small clock on the back on the Internet.

I've used one of those for years. Just a few things to keep in mind:

1) Set it early in the day by a real clock. Don't rely on the approximations; your location will also shift the way it reads.

2) Don't play with it after it's set. You can change the setting, and then you'll have no idea what time it is.

3) All times are approximations, and don't expect to have much of a clue what time it is between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. The design causes it to read the same through that period.

4) Put it on a long chain or string so you can dangle it straight down in the sun to catch the time.

5) On cloudy days, you will not know the time. When we went up to GARF on a partly cloudy day, I was running for sunny spots first off to try to set it.

I'd like mine a whole lot more if I could just stop playing with it ...

Butch

I riveted a wristwatch to the inside of my bag.  It works great!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I just ask Butch for the time  :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

I guess I'll just have Nim use her cell phone to call Butch...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Prof. John Bull

I'm a musician as well and we do have to start and stop our sets on time so a sundial won't cut it.

I purchased an inexpensive wristwatch and removed the wristband.  The rest of the watch is attached to the inside of my vest with a safety pin so I can see it by glancing inside my vest.  Watches with hands work better IME than digital ones.  A pocketwatch will work but it's hard to find small ones, they're more expensive, and most of them being sold now have lids.

It's much more discreet than looking at a phone, and you can do it with one hand.

McGuinness

I have a watch face that I took off of the band and pinned to the inside of my pouch with a ribbon but we have clocks at most stages as well. By the end of the season, most of our cast can stop and listen for a few minutes to tell about what time it is by the ambient noise of the shows as well. Asking a patrons works well too. I know a lot of people who have clipclocks or appropriate pocketwatches.

insidiousraven

Thanks all!  These are great tips.  Keep em coming.

stonebiscuit

Like some others here, I have a watch face pinned to the inside of my bodice. I think it cost $8 including the safety pin.

(Another tip: make sure you set your timepiece to festival time at morning meeting. Don't assume it's still correct from yesterday/last weekend--always check.)