News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

where can I find a pattern for this?

Started by Ser Niall, August 24, 2012, 01:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Niall

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern that comes close to this coat, as seen on The Tudors?  I'd like to eventually make something similar, but I haven't seen any patterns that approximates it.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

CenturiesSewing

The Tudor Tailor book has it, would just need to add length. They have a pattern set as well, http://www.tudortailor.com/hmgajh.htm

Ser Niall

Thanks for the link.   I didn't know what it was called, which is probably why I couldn't find a pattern.  I was searching for a tudor coat, and they're calling it a gown.

In the picture, it looks like it has a hood, or large collar.  Do you know if the tudor tailer pattern can be modified to have this?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

CenturiesSewing

In the book they have the option for a curved turn back collar not just the square yoke styled one.

If you have a doublet pattern that fits you, it would not be too hard to convert that into what you are looking for if you don't mind a few mock ups.

Wickedvox

Get in the habit of making mock-ups now Ser Niall--you'll need to do it for a really good fit and when you start mixing/drafting patterns. You'll spend an equal amount of time ripping seams and recutting pieces if you don't make mock-ups (speaking from experience lol!). It's easy enough with all these super-talented people to support and guide you ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Ser Niall

On the advice of everyone on this board I'm already in the habit of making mock-ups.  I did a muslin of my doublet and had to adjust the pattern accordingly.  Even with this, after my doublet was sewn together I still had to take it in a little. 

Kate XXXXXX

Wickedvox

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on August 24, 2012, 05:55:29 PM
The Royal Palaces website has a free child sized one that you could enlarge:  http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/educationandcommunity/learning/funandgames/activities

I made this:

Ohhhh...now *that* is gorgeous! I need that orange material for my Roma outfit I'm planning!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

It might, but I've never had anything but disasters from their patterns!  The RP one went together like Lego. It now resides here, in their Education Room, aqlong with the green kirtle, a coif and a flat hat.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ightham-mote/

Wickedvox, it's more red than orange, with lots of gold thread.  It's silk and viscose, bought in a shop in Walthamstow!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I hear you on that, Kate!

But this pattern was the only one I could find. 12 years ago, SIMPLICITY had a Tudor Great coat pattern tht went to a 3XL. The pattern was out for a year only.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

The thing I find with the RH patterns is that they take so much time and effort to adjust to fit (both the bits to each other and the whole to a human being!) that you might as well start with pencil and paper and draft your own from Janet Arnold or Susan North or Norah Waugh...  And the instructions skim over the construction details you really need and give you acres of (frequently badly researched and incorrect!) historical data.  I object to paying for this sort of mess.  At least with a Simplicity pattern you know what you are getting (usually a flavour of historical that will need a bit of adjustment along the way to make it fit, and cheap!).  At least with Simplicity, you can trace off the pattern, use standard methods to adjust to fit the customer, and usually get away with a single toile and one or two fittings.  THREE toiles for a gown, plus a complete redrafting of major pattern pices, is not an economic option for us professionals!

My advice for this garment: Draft up a standard bloke sized pattern (for, say, a bloke of 5'10" with a 42" chest) from the RP kid's one, and adjust as per customer requirement.

gem

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on August 25, 2012, 08:18:42 AM
My advice for this garment: Draft up a standard bloke sized pattern (for, say, a bloke of 5'10" with a 42" chest) from the RP kid's one, and adjust as per customer requirement.

Kate, do you have a good tutorial on how to do that? I can draft and drape, but I am totally intimidated by grading! (I'm almost exactly the size the Tudor Tailor patterns are drafted for, but have no idea what to do with JA or others!)

Kate XXXXXX

Er...   No!  I could show you, but I haven't ever had to make instructions for doing it!

CenturiesSewing

Gem, the slash and spread method works for a number of things.. http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com/tag/pattern-grading/
You could also shift the pattern in increments but that gets a bit more tedious at times.