News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The search for Richard III

Started by Welsh Wench, August 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

I hope they find him.

I hate to think that a Mini-Cooper is parked on top of him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19361350
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

Isn't it amazing that the English (in the past, at least), gave no regard to their national treasures and built over, refurbished over, pulled up & destroyed, and so on?

So many gorgeous medieval monumental brasses in churches had pews built over them, nailed right into the brass plates, or covered with carpeting.  And some of the ones on the walls were plastered over, and unless the plaster needed to be replaced, no one knew about them.

Honestly, one of their truly notable kings possibly had a parking lot built over him!  That is incredible.

I hope they find him, too, and if not taken to Westminster Abbey along with so many other kings and queens, at least put into the cathedral in Leicester.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

The Tudor dynasty went to such lengths to expose Richard's misdeeds that they probably added a few that were made up whole-cloth. So at the time, local people thought of it more as a grave for a villain than a king.
Those who benefitted from the dissolution of the abbeys including greyfriars were more interested in obliterating anything that might cloud their claim to the property. It is typical of all people that they only see the historical value of a site long after it has been destroyed.
I do hope that they frind the grave; but there have been digs near there before that turned up all sorts of graves.
Skeletons found during road work near Greyfriars
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Nicolette

Very fascinating part of history.  The last conversation I had with my older sister who died some years ago was about Richard III, she had a lifelong fascination with him.  Even though she was so ill, the story still was compelling enough to make her forget the pain she was in for a while.  It's a good last memory.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Captain Jack Wolfe

This dig is indeed bearing fruit. Archaeologists have confirmed they've found the medieval Grey Friars Church.

http://www.medievalists.net/2012/09/05/search-for-richard-iii-confirms-discovery-of-the-church-of-the-grey-friars/
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

DonaCatalina

Well....maybe this will bear fruit. Thanks for sharing.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

http://www.medievalists.net/2012/09/10/archaeological-dig-inches-tantalizingly-closer-to-possible-burial-place-of-king-richard-iii/

Over the past two weeks, the team has made major discoveries about the heritage of Leicester by:
•determining the site of the site of the medieval Franciscan friary known as Grey Friars
•finding the eastern cloister walk and chapter house
•locating the site of the church within the friary
•uncovering the lost garden of former Mayor of Leicester, Alderman Robert Herrick
•revealing medieval finds that include inlaid floor tiles from the cloister walk of the friary, paving stones from the Herrick garden, window tracery, elements of the stained glass windows of the church, a medieval silver penny a stone frieze believed to be from the choir stalls amongst others

Thanks, Jack, for sharing this with me!

BLAKDUKE

I read about this today.  Maybe something will come of it.

Lady Nic.  I wish I had known your sister, she sounds like a lot of fun. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Nicolette

Wow! (@ WW's and Jack's posts)  I so wish my sister could have lived to see this.
@ Blakduke:  She was incredibly intelligent.  I loved when she read to me as a child (I was 8 years younger),she would do all different voices
and accents for the characters in the tales, she made them come to life. Kind of set me up to be a Rennie before I knew what was happening! :)
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Captain Jack Wolfe

Have the remains of Richard III been found? Archaeologists discover skeleton at Leicester dig

From the article at Medievalists.net:

QuoteArchaeologists searching for the grave of Richard III have discovered the human remains of a human male that have "strong circumstantial evidence" indicating that it is of the English king.

An initial analysis of the male skeleton has discovered:

• That it appears to have suffered significant peri-mortem trauma to the skull which appears consistent with (although not certainly caused by) an injury received in battle.
  • A bladed implement appears to have cleaved part of the rear of the skull.
  • A barbed metal arrowhead was found between vertebrae of the skeleton's upper back.
  • The skeleton found in the Choir area has spinal abnormalities. We believe the individual would have had severe scoliosis – which is a form of spinal curvature. This would have made his right shoulder appear visibly higher than the left shoulder. This is consistent with contemporary accounts of Richard's appearance. The skeleton does not have kyphosis – a different form of spinal curvature. The skeleton was not a hunchback.
  • There appears to be no evidence of a "withered arm".

Another article can be found here: King Richard III grave hunters find bones in U.K.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

Wonderful find!

I wonder too if the Queen will deny testing on the bones like she did the bones found in the Tower of London with a possible claim to be the lost princes.

BLAKDUKE

I realize she is the queen but can she really do that.  The grounds are not part of any royal control as was the Tower of London.

what unfolds will be most interesting.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Jack Wolfe

The archaeologist and the Richard III Foundation seem more concerned about finding viable DNA for testing than they are about royal decrees. Regardless, the boffins are very confident they got their man!

Here's the latest: Richard III Foundation welcomes success of archaeological dig and looks forward to re-burial of England's Last Plantagenet King

Lady Renee Buchanan

That is awesome!  Jack, thank you for posting that link.  I read the story and watched the 2 videos.  How interesting about the descendant of his sister who gave the DNA swabs, and I really enjoyed seeing the second one, where Richard Taylor has a huge grin on his face.  You can see his excitement.  It will be wonderful if they did find out it is him, and how nice if they would inter him with his wife.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

I think this is exciting. If it does indeed turn out to be Richard III, the arrow in the back changes a lot of stories.
"The traditional view of the cause of the King's famous cries of 'Treason!' before falling have been that during the battle Richard was abandoned by Baron Stanley (made Earl of Derby in October), Sir William Stanley, and Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess